Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
au adam

Default Advice on buying an AU manual

Im looking at an AU2 Ute5spd tomorrow Ded gas and was wondering what the manual AUs are like and are there any issues in should look for.
I already have an auto one but i need another ute.
Its got abs and cruise too which will be a bonus.

au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

mate im not keen on the ded gas ones but i guess its a fuel saver as for the manin it its a good thing as long as you dont thrash and blow clutches and diffs all the time it should be a good unit..

how many k's on it... is the gas system up to date with its check up?

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
au adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
mate im not keen on the ded gas ones but i guess its a fuel saver as for the manin it its a good thing as long as you dont thrash and blow clutches and diffs all the time it should be a good unit..

how many k's on it... is the gas system up to date with its check up?
I already have a ded gas one but an auto and i need another one for the gardening business.Its done 230,000 and is owned by an old bloke and used as a private car.he must drive it slow as he says he can get 600 from the tanks and im lucky to get 400 in mine.
I will use this one and my bro inlaw will take the auto for about 12 months(if it lasts that long),then he will get a newer one.
Mines got rust in the chassis behind the cab and im sure it will end up a banana soon.
Old 30-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what i`ve read from some other manual owners, cracks in the firewall around the clutch cable and pedal box cracking issues have come up on occasion.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3rd gear is pretty weak in the T5 from what i've read as well
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
DW260

I had my AUII XR8 a few weeks before the clutch started to bind up quite badly. It was binding that badly the brake pedal was shifting around on down-changes. This is why the pedal box eventually cracks if you don't get onto it straight away.

I put on a new clutch cable which helped a lot, but it still wasn't cured. I spoke to Ford about the problem and they advised me that the nose-cone, or front retainer, on the gearbox can become scored. So I dropped the gearbox out cleaned the nose-cone up with some wet and dry sand paper, and lubed it up with some copper grease. After that it was brilliant!

About 12 months later I discovered that the clutch cable had chaffed through the left-hand lock power steering line on the the steering rack, but that was cured by replacing the pipe line. Only cost $15 from Ford.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Look for the main manual related issues - bent/cracked pedal box, cracked firewall, clutch cable, clutch fork - I've had to fix at least one of these in every manual pre-BA I've owned!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
au adam

Has had a clutch and cable replaced recently,its really clean,has the little compartments in the back too.Clutch pedal is a bit low to the floor compared to my Patrol but it has heaps of power and pulls really well.
Guy wanted 8.5k and im getting it for 7.5k.
Should have it tomorrow and cant wait to get rid of my auto one.
Old 31-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Look for the main manual related issues - bent/cracked pedal box, cracked firewall, clutch cable, clutch fork - I've had to fix at least one of these in every manual pre-BA I've owned!
Ditto.

Cracked firewall means water leaks, shonky gear changes, possible dash gettting pulled out to fix.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post