Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #61
stevepet

First car HG 350 GTS was a great car don't care what anyone says would love to have it now! Owned several holdes until got bitten by athe Nissan bug raced a 260z for awhile and got hooked on Patrols and still am! My first ford was an ex demonstrator Ea s pak you would think that would have turned me off Fords but no had seveal Henrys since and love em would never go back to a Holden still got a Patrol though.

Steve
stevepet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #62
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old man always had company Holdens. But I remember as a kid (must have been about 4) in 1970/71 he transfered to Port Lincoln and we got picked up by the managing director in what I now believe was a 70/71 Galaxie LTD. White with maroon interior. Blew the mind of a 4 year old! Later as a 13 year old I remember witnessing a burnout by an XT that was super impressive and I just loved the look of the Ford touring cars. Oh....and there was just something cool about saying 351.

Never owned a Holden, have had a Valiant though.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #63
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepet
My first ford was an ex demonstrator Ea s pak you would think that would have turned me off Fords but no had seveal Henrys since and love em
Say what you will about the EA, my old man had a new Ghia and I got an EA S pack a couple of years later from one of his salesman that went EB and I loved both of those cars at the time.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #64
ynot57

worked at holden so bought a ford,started car life in a chrysler cm 318 v8 good days,and then their was ford.end of story.
ynot57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #65
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No.

Dad had Holdens before I was born, then a Nissan Exa Turbo...

Step Dad is a Holden guy, worked at GM/H in Doveton, had a whole lotta Kingswoods, Torana's, and when he met Mum, he had a Torana SLR with a 2fluffy3 with SLR5000 arches and jelly bean wheels on straight gas when mum and him got married.

Mum has had Morris's, Toyota Corolla's, Datsun 200B's...

Since I can remember the vehicles in my mum and step dad's driveway were as such: 200B Wagon in Silver(Mum), aforementioned Torana(S/Dad), 1980 XD GL Wagon(Mum), MQ LWB Patrol 3.3 N/A Diesel 4spd Manual (Mum), VP Commodore Vactationer(S/Dad), EF Futura Wagon(Mum), Rodeo V6 Tray(S/Dad), BA Futura(Mum), Toyota Prado GXL(Mum), Territory Ghia AWD(Mum).... At the same time, Dad had the Exa, a old Toyota Crown, a 94 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Toyota Prado Diesel, C230 Benz...

So, many a varied car.... and up until 14 I fancied both Fords and Holdens(amongst other stuff).....

Then I bought a 77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta sedan as a paddock basher, and 9 Alfa's later, its fair to say I am a Alfa man 1st, Ford man 2nd, Car man 3rd...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #66
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Yes Ive always been a ford man.
First car au xr8.
Old 29-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #67
Danny
GT4.

No, When I was a kid, dad always had HSV's up to the VS model, then we switched to EL Fairmont Ghia, and from then It's been pretty much Fords, although we use them (the utes) now only for work, and meeting clients (We are builders). Dads Driver is a 08' BMW X5 3.0d, and mine when I'm not driving the XR6 or the F6 for work is my Clio RenaultSport 182 Cup, I admit, at heart I'm a real Euro hot hatch man.

That said, I do love the XR and the F6. The Clio is my baby though
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #68
dave289
Banned

I was born in 1970 and remember in 1978 at 8 years old the guy who owned the servo up the road bought a brand new xc cobra. When I first saw this car and heard it I was blown away to say the least . I was probably a ford man since that day. my father was never really a car man and I remember asking him when I was in primary school why he does;nt buy a good car( I remember my mates old man had a porche and so did my girlfriends father and another mates dad had a nice merc) at the time he had a honda accord and my mum had a mini which she bought brand new in 1976 for 4 grand (I learnt to drive in the mini since I was twelve years old in 1982), my father told me he did'nt really need a fancy car and all that so I just accepted going to school in the jap crap .my granfather on the other hand only ever had fords, he used to own an xb gs panel van in gold which was an orsome car , he rolled this car but had it repaired and drove it for many years later. my grandmother used to drive and old red and whitr zepher with red interior, another awsome car which our grandfather would take us to the drive ins in when we were kids visiting them in armidale. so it seems the car thing in our family skipped a generation. I also remember when I was 16 my mate who was about 20 at the time bought an xa 351 coupe. the previous owner had died ,as had the previous owner to him and it sat in the shed for 8 years untouched. we went to pick up the car and had to check oil and water and change plugs and put a new battery in . It fired up almost straight away and we drove it home ,it was painted in the cobra theme but was black with white stripes (instead of the cobra being white with blue stripes) it was the toughest looking car I had ever seen by far and had the sound to match ,we cruised past the beach on the way home and he planted it to the floor ,everybody and I mean everybody just stared at this amazing beast .he dropped it a couple of times and I was completely in love with this car. unfortunately my mate also died about 2 or 3 years later so it seems this car was cursed. although I do know the current owner who has had it since (and found out it was an rpo 83). so I,ve pretty much been a ford man since I was a kid but the funny this is I currencly own a purple monaro (as well as my fords) only cause my mate sold it to me so cheap I could not say no ,and I do have a soft spot for monaros( they would have to be the best ever holden if there is such a thing). but my pride and joy is my 67 xr which I absolutely love and would never sell . I will post a pic of it below ...sorry for the long post

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #69
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

My old man had an ap6 , Vf pacer, hg prem, hq wagon, xw when i was growing up so i am a car guy, not a ford guy.
I had a 180b sss as a first car then a mazda 929, Xc, UC Torrana, vnwagon, VR for the wife and an XF ute.
now ive upsized to the f250!
If its nice, i like it, whatever it may be!!
Old 29-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #70
Stock XR
K Code

Always been a Ford man, first car was a XB Fairmont wagon 302 auto. Current rides are AU2 XR8 & XY GS, Only strayed once to dark side.
Stock XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

From when I bought the old BA I fell for the Falcon. Couldn't really care about Ford that much, mind you other areas have come out with some great cars.
Old 29-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #72
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
From when I bought the old BA I fell for the Falcon. Couldn't really care about Ford that much, mind you other areas have come out with some great cars.
Quite similar with me, We need utes for work, Holden utes are too showy and impractical, and the thai build TD 4x4's are great, but not as comfortable for an every dayer. Ford make wonderful sports utes that can carry a load, and go great and the two FG's really do feel like they have BMW like driveability and engines (with the exception of the practical rear ute suspension). I jump into both our FG's and still cannot believe they are Ford Falcons. I've driven EF's to BF, and no Falcon has ever channeled a BMW (or euro/jap like qualities for that matter) like these FG's do IMHO.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #73
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just reading this thread, I've noticed something. On all the Commodore/Holden discussion groups, they're so vehemently anti-Ford, against anything that's not a Commodore really. Are Ford men and women more open minded - or rather, is that we just appreciate a good car, rather than just a badge?
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #74
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I cant speak for anyone else, but as I said in my earlier post, I can appreciate a car for what it is...no matter the make or model.

My boss drives a HSV Clubsport and he loves it. He talks about it to me all the time. Do I go..."Yuk! Your a holden man!" ...No. I sit and listen to his passion just as he listens when I woffel on about my car.

I think once you own a car you love, you can appreciate how other people feel about their cars...or maybe I just have patience. :P
Old 29-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #75
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
Just reading this thread, I've noticed something. On all the Commodore/Holden discussion groups, they're so vehemently anti-Ford, against anything that's not a Commodore really. Are Ford men and women more open minded - or rather, is that we just appreciate a good car, rather than just a badge?

I’m a car man, in particular a V8 man and own a number of makes and I’m on different forums because of them including Holden Forums and I wouldn’t agree with that.

There are fan boys on all forums for all makes and models and as fan boys they are the loudest with their in your face attitude but I’ve found most forum members despite their preferences are fairly level headed when it comes to cars in general. Most of us realise there is good and bad in any thing we or anyone buys.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #76
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

as a kid i was a holden fan and followed Brocky in the touring cars but ended up with a 250 TD Cortina as my first car and have never looked back

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #77
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

No, not always, as stated on previous threads, Im a mopar man at the core. I love my Valiants & Dodges. But the fords have their place, obviously, thats why i'm on here.

Besides (probably ruffling the feathers here) Dodge has made the biggest baddest motor ever to roll out of detroit. The legendary 426hemi. You dont agree? What engine are most (if not all) Top Fueler drag engines designs based from??? The Hemi of course! However in saying that, the current offerings for chrysler/dodge just doesnt tickle my ticklish bits (in Oz anyway). So Fords are it now.

Been attempting to restore my first car since 2003, 1981 Chrysler, Genuine K18 S.A police special. Not much has been done since!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #78
4117kev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first car was a XYGT bought when i was 16 for $1250 bucks (still have the receipt) then a 351XBGS Fairmont then about 10 more Xy GS's then a low 12sec 308LH Torana in the late 80's then back to the Fords including a Au Forte then a BA XR8 a 4wd and now my BFGT302.
But the most car i ever had was my 358SBC LJ Torana approx 850hp methanol drinking pro street car, this thing when you were in it just made everthing else seem a little less.
4117kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #79
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

always a ford man. dad was a commerical traveller and i rem as a young boy - maybe 6 or 7 - he got a new car. it was an xy/xw silver frost was the colour. He always had Ford when on the road, better ride and comfort expecially in western qld.

after he left that job, had to buy own cars and eventually had a Holden HG Station Wagon, which was to become my 1st car. When it was time to upgrade it was Ford all the way, starting with a XD S Pac.

Only strayed once, when it was time to trade in EF XR6. Was the time the AU's were out and couldnt bring myself to buying one, so tried a 4wd. Happy to say it didnt stay long and then back into a the BA Turbo

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #80
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
I suppose it's how you interprete things. I'm a member of several Holden/Commodore forums, and obviously while you get the anti-Ford guys (This site is no different with the anti-Holden guys) a large majority are quite open minded.

I've seen Falcons being posted on Street Commodores that have had more praise than "It's a Ford. Yuk" type comments.

As for the question well it's interesting for me. Alot of my family started off in Holdens (My great grandfather owned the first FX in Newcastle/Maitland), but alot of them have Fords now. My dad's brother is a Holden man though.

My dad owned a few HRs in his younger days, and the Holden blood was passed onto me. I always wanted a VL for a first car, but I ended up with a Cortina. It was a good car, but not something I really wanted.

I prefer Holdens to Fords even though I've driven more Fords, but if it came down to a better deal I would get a Ford if it was the better option.

My neighbour is a Ford fan, and we stir eachother up all the time when the V8s are on, but it's all in good fun. He bought a BA MKII Typhoon last year, and it's honestly one of the best cars I've ever been in.

As I've said in some other threads I like Falcons from the 90s more than Commodores, but I prefer VBs-VLs over Falcons of the same vintage.

They're just cars to me. Some people take the Holden vs Ford rivalry to a ridiculous level IMO. Unfortunately strays away from mindless stirring into an intense personal slug match.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #81
BradZ
I'm still alive

Even as a child, seeing Holden winning in Bathurst never phased me. I was one of the 5 kids in school that liked Ford for some reason or other i guess i was just 'different' lol. Now i'm older, i can see why.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake