Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Got a new job

After a few months searching, I got a job as a storeperson part time for a company called Network Connect in Mulgrave. As I already work in transport as a casual in the afternoon/evening, it fits in well so I'll be working 10 hour days and making more moolah so I can afford both the new exhaust and my car insurance which are both due in the next month or so.

I made the short list on half my job applications - so I had 5 or 6 interviews and it was starting to get to me to get so close but not make it. That and companies not even having the decency to call you back after making the short list and giving up your time for an interview. If you didn't make the first cut, well no response would be tolerable, but in the final 5 - it's pretty poor.

I think the 11 years at one company which I am still employed at impressed this company as they didn't even contact my reference. I attended a 2nd interview Friday - which turned out to be merely a meet and greet with the other manager - they seemed to have already made up their minds and only let me in on that after discussing the role in further detail for a bit.

At least it's good to know that I got the job purely on merit. My resume and cover letter were honest - so I can't be caught short later. There were no favours from family or friends to get the job either - which can be a good way to get in the door if you have the contacts.

Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 04:10 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
pauljh74
Well done,
and hope all goes well for you, as you have said your merit and honesty have paid dividends, and although sometimes you may think why bother, this is a good example that in the end it is all worth it.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate, great news to hear. Hope you enjoy it.

My 15 year old daughter as of Sunday night at 8.00 pm came to live with me.
(ex and her mother had packed her bags on her.) She has been quite a handful and skipped so much school this year. (year 10) she is unlikley to get her Junior, so the objective my partner and I set out was she was to have a job by the end of the week. I took monday-wednesday off work to help her, drive her to shopping centres and hand out resumes. (she has not had a job before) By wednesday she was offered a job at Muffin Break, Trial on friday to start Monday. 30 hour week. Since then she has also been offered 25 hours min at Maccas and had a trial also on Friday at Brumby's which is a fulltime retail traineeship. I am pleased to say she's gunna take the Brumby's Job. Goes to show the Jobs are there if you just look.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found it difficult to get this job and at 31 - have 11 years with one company - plus a good record. Which means your daughter has done very well to land a job at her age. Get her back to school because when you have rent to pay and food to put on the table plus all the other bills, low wages like the jobs she's working won't go far. That's what she'll face one day when she's out on her own.

I probably could have done a bit better than what I have in terms of line of work/better pay, but I'm responsible for where I am and will work my way through it. I didn't fail year 12, got a 235 score - about a high D/low C average. I didn't study hard enough - then went to TAFE for a business course - where I studied less - I still have one unit left for the second year - because I failed it 3 times - once due to getting an E on the exam, the next for handing in all 7 off campus assignments in on the morning of the exam - which weren't accepted. Then the 3rd time just failed the exam again. It was tax - so most sane people struggle to get their head around what the pollies dream up. In the end I doubt average marks in a TAFE course would have got me far as most jobs in that field wanted someone experienced and it's pointless finishing it now. That and they probably changed the curriculum, so I'll probably have more units to do. That and I've had enough of study. I like to clock off and go home and not worry about work till tomorrow.

The only way you can make decent money if you have a lower paying job is to work longer hours. A guy I work with likes to "keep up with the Jones'". He works full time 6 days a week plus 4-5 hours a day where I currently work 5 days a week. He has to do this to keep the BMW (318i) running, the new Territory and the house in Balwyn (a middle-upper class suburb in Melbourne). He's the sort of guy who talks himself up and knows so many important people according to him. The guy is as dumb as a dog turd, so he's not going to do any better. His wife and kids don't see that much of him as a result of his work hours.

I had to make a change as I work in transport - where your options are dock worker/forklift driver, truck driver, supervisor and then progress into management. I'm not enough of an a$$hole to be a good manager. Jobs for transport are limited, mostly casual employment and on the other side of town in the western suburbs. Storepersons - in demand more and there are more full time/permanent positions. Less physical work and it doesn't matter if it's a manufacturer, importer or distributor, they all need to manage their inventory.

Might get some sleep now. was woken up half an hour after I eventually got to sleep at 3:30 because some bloody cat was making a racket. I was tempted to go out and throw something at it. That and GTA - San Andreas is addictive
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats mate, I work in mulgrave too. The only about it is Springvale Road,, ahh drives you mad some mornings.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Congratulations!!!! I hope it works out well for you!!
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post