Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
plumby
Huston we have lift off

Default Australian Police- MUST READ - not a joke-unmarked patrol car's

UNMARKED POLICE CAR WARNING.

This number actually exists here in Australia .. Read this and then send it to all your friends! I never even knew about being able to dial the number 112 feature! This actually happened to someone's daughter.

Lauren was 19 yrs old and in university.. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break.

It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on.

Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and university age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a petrol station, etc. So Lauren had actually listened to her parents' advice, and promptly phoned the number 112 on her mobile phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was, and there wasn't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes..

I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them i.e., put on your hazard lights, or call No. 112 like Lauren did. Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.

112 IS THE NUMBER TO RING IF YOU CANNOT GET SERVICE ON YOUR MOBILE

IT'S LIKE 000

So now it's your turn to let your friends know about No. 112.

This is good information that I did not know!!!!

Please pass on to any females that you know.

Go to the Website now. It is real and very informative for all the family, then forward on to friends & family.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_100581

Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wow, this has been doing the rounds for years - well done on making it sound new. Checked on snopes and it is not verified, but could be true, though 112 was replaced with #77, which doesn't work.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Pis-ton broke
Banned

I think you will find that 112 is the international number for Police,Fire,Ambo's. Thanks for the story, i will tell my friends

mick
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
schultzie
Just Images

112 is the number you dial from an mobile in an emergency situation and will dial out regardless or weather you have network service of not.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of Bollocks...that story is as old as me
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie
112 is the number you dial from an mobile in an emergency situation and will dial out regardless or weather you have network service of not.
Not absolutely true.

It will dial on any network even ones that you are not subscribed to but will not work if there is no network coverage at all.

e.g. You are an OPTUS or VODA user and in a non coverage area (i.e. you can't see any tall buildings) 112 (and 000) will call emergency using the Telstra GSM network (or wcdma 850 if your handset supports it).

112 also works in other countries that have a network technology compatible with your handset.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also I've noticed if your phone is locked, you can dial 112 and 000 without unlocking it (some cases you can do 911 also).
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

We all know of these emails circling, but i bet there is some truth to these.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
bernadette86
soon to be low

has any one asked the fuzz if this is true????
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

112 also works if you do not have a SIM card in the phone.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I have heard of this story too, but don't know if it is true. I do know something similar happened Geelong way years ago, I think near Grovedale, but am unsure if the driver impersonating police was a convicted rapist.

112 works worldwide off mobile phones to connect you to emergency hot lines. A few hoax callers use it without sim cards to waste emergency services time.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
loosey

A couple of years ago I was pulled over by someone impersonating a cop, I ended up getting away and making a report down the police station. The police told me that it's legal to keep driving to the nearest police station if an undercover car tries to pull you over.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Im pretty sure if you dial 911 on a mobile here in Oz you will still be connected to emergency services.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Similar to the one of the pretend police officer, theres the story of two quite buxom blondes who drive a red porsche. They are often seen on some of the main arterial roads of melbourne, standing beside the car. When you pull over to ask them what the problem is, they pretend that their car is broken down, that they havent got RACV membership, and ask if you can give them a lift home. On the drive home, they get quite chatty and flirty, and offer to come back to your house, to show appreciation to you for your good deed.

The next morning you wake up, with a bit of a headache, and all you can remember is going to the toilet the night before whilst the females were preparing drinks. Then you realise that your wallet and some elecrical equipment is missing.

And I can speak from experience that this story isnt made up, it happened to me a few weeks ago, then it happened to me again two mondays ago, then again last tuesday, again on wednesday night and also last night.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This hoax is over 10yrs old now... come on people!!!!!!
The orginal email is from the USA.

Moderators can we get this thread locked/ removed?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Closed Thread