Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
F06CUS
Starter Motor

Default rim question

hey everyone,
Sorry to bring up another thread along this line, but just after a clear answer.
Is 8.5" rim too wide for a focus?
i'v done alot of looking, just havnt found a definate answer. i read on an old thread that 9" would fit, but turning was bad. would this be the same for 8.5?
very curious because the rims im looking at only come in 8.5. my car is also lowered 50mm (its quite low) this may effect the answer, i'm not sure...
enlighten me
cheers guys

F06CUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I used to have 18x8's on my LR and with 225/40/R18 tyres it used to scrub in the back over hard bumps quite regularly (I think it fouled where the top corner of the bumper met the wheel arch) 35 profile tyres didn't reduce it by much.
However the fronts were never a problem.

It's worth mentioning that the car was at standard ride height for the zetec, which was lower than the others by a small amount.
From memory I could just get a finger between the inside wall of the tyre and the front strut so you could encounter offset issues provided you can even get them on.

My LV XR5 came standard with 18x8's with 225/40/R18 rubber and a much lower than standard ride height and it's fine.
Plenty of guys have lowered xr's but I don't think they've had issues.

I guess it depends on what model focus you own. Personaly I wouldn't go wider than 8 inch. Not only for fitment but for the cost and availability of the tyres themselves.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
F06CUS
Starter Motor

hmmmm. alright thanks for that. a little upsetting :( lol. iv got a 06 zetec.
anyone elses thoughts???
Old 20-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Not quite sure why that's upsetting.

The information TJ gave you about the LR Zetec (first half of his post) is no longer relevant as you have now told us that you have an 06 model.

What is relevant is that his XR5 ..with lower suspension...copes fine with an 8" rim. Which means there is a possibility that 8.5 will be OK.

However, I'd have to question whether there is any upside at all to having 8.5" from a performance POV

Try looking on www.ffoc.co.uk , the British Focus site, as it have some better answers for you
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
F06CUS
Starter Motor

alright will do. i would happily go 8 its just they only make the rim 8.5 for 18/19 inch.
i also sent www.european-parts.net an email yesterday asking if it would fit my model, they gave me a simple reply saying they will fit any 5x108 configuration. did not mention the 8.5 width.
but ill have a look on the uk forum. thanks
Old 23-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Look into it carefully, as you may upset the steering/suspension geometry if the offset of the rim is different from standard, this is important on a fwd car.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06CUS
alright will do. i would happily go 8 its just they only make the rim 8.5 for 18/19 inch.
i also sent www.european-parts.net an email yesterday asking if it would fit my model, they gave me a simple reply saying they will fit any 5x108 configuration. did not mention the 8.5 width.
but ill have a look on the uk forum. thanks
The offset is critical as Outback_ute says. I ended up buying Ford wheels for my Mondeo as I couldn't find anything else with the right rim width and offset.

The Focus XR5 wheels are 8" wide with 52.5 mm offset. You might be able to run 8.5" rims with a slightly lower offset - say 50mm. But you'd want to carefully check any wheel/tyre combination on the car if you run a lower offset than this.
Old 29-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Can anyone quickly let me know what the standard and optimal offset is? Looking at some rims online and need them to fill the guards... a lot are coming up at +48, but I want the bastards to sit flush, or a good half centimeter outside of the guard.
I'm presuming XR5 brakes fit inside a 17" rim? I'm sure i'll need to start a new thread to ask about the intricacies of brake upgrades on poverty-pack 06 focuses? :P

(Sorry for digging up old threads)
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
melbzetec

"or a good half centimeter outside of the guard."

Is that what you really want?

Especially since it is, AFAIK, illegal, and I'm pretty sure, guaranteed to get you a defect notice
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 29-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Is that what you really want?
short answer? yes.

Quote:
want the bastards to sit flush, or a good half centimeter outside of the guard.
Old 29-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
melbzetec

Good luck

Old 30-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FOCUS 4x4?
Old 30-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

no, focus mad offset with flares. Not asking opinions, asking a technical question. Offset?