Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Repairing water damaged power tools?

Perth's Monday afternoon uberstorm (TM) punished my backyard as well as flooded my shed. The mess in the back yard I couldn't care less about; I can clean it up. I am rather dirty (pun, hurr hurr) about some of my electrical tools that got inundated in my shed. Like my little arc welder that was still brand new:

I pulled the cover off it to see how much it got flooded; as you can see by the waterline, it was pretty much drowned.

Question is, can it be saved, or is it a bin job? I thought if I cleaned all the crap out and dried it right out it might be ok but...I'm not sure if I should or if it is worth it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

It'd be worth a try. One of the guys at work dropped a drill in the pool once when he was doing some pool fence or something and he pulled it apart and left it to dry out and it was fine again

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my nokia was at the bottom of a river for a few hours... 6 weeks later it works still

id give it a quick blow with the compressor, but as far as i know there is going to be a bit of current flowing through there.... test your safety switch first hahaha

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I'd give it a go... Just blow all the crap out of it with the air comp first and maybe spray something around in there to try to stop anything oxidising too much (maybe silicone spray or similar and then blow out really well again with air??) and let it sit for a good couple weeks in a nice warm dry spot. quite a few years ago I heard of someone who had a party and someone decided to p!55 on their stereo. They just sat it in a wardrobe for a couple months to dry out and it worked okay after that...
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

It should be possible to salvage the welder, just be sure that it is perfectly clean, AND dry before switching it on. Tis worth giving it a quick blow over with compressed air, & a bit of a clean down with some contact cleaner spray, especially over the electronic control module, and reostat control on front, then leave it sit to dry out properly in the sun for at least a week
If you was over on the East Cost, I'd offer to whack it in one of the drying ovens at work for a few days.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

yeah as said above, let it all dry out thoroughly, should be right.
could even use a little wd40/RP7 on any rotational/ morotised tools such as drills etc just a very light spray should be enough to disperse water and prevent rust.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had water poured on my laptop courtesy of my little nephew whilst it was turned on. I simply reached over, turned it off, pulled all that I could apart from it, left it a day or so to dry out and it is still going over a year later without any troubles.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit it with a can of CRC Lectra Clean. It's for cleaning electrical contacts and good for cleaning and drying bad connections. Brilliant stuff. I used to use it when i my power tools got drenched in the rain.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Thanks chaps. I might give it a second chance on life then.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 26-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The welder should be fine if cleaned properly. We have some of those cig weld welders at work however and have had numerous issues with them. They are very cheap however so replacement shouldn't be much of a stretch.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cleant it thoroughly then drown it in metho leave to dry a few weeks and it will be fine . the metho displaces the water and dries faster and stops corosion

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be fine like many have mentioned, I stupidly left my angle grinder in a wheelbarrow uncovered. Got some real heavy rains out of nowhere and completely forgot about the grinder. Discovered it at the bottom of a pretty much full barrow, pulled it out and let dry for about a week. Its still working to this day and its been about 6 months. Electrical appliances and electronics only usually get affected by water only while running/being operated (also from moisture and corrosion on terminals etc but but this happens gradually and as mentioned products that displace moisture can be used) because water creates a bridge of very little electrical resistence between conductors hence creating a short circuit - if you have no current flowing nothing blows, once current is flowing (obviously when in use) things go bang
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Bugger fixing them, get the insurance company to buy a new ones !
Old 28-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well I left it out in the sun for a day or so to dry right out, then blew all the crap out with compressed air and doused everything in CRC. Put it all back together, plugged it in and gave it a whirl - was as if it had never even seen water! So all is good