Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default RTA's answer to young drivers - I promise Pledge

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ipr...-1225843005131

Quote:
YOUNG people will be able to practice driving tests on their iPhones, have representation on a new road safety body and be the targets of a massive online campaign in a revolutionary assault on the road toll.
The State Government will roll out the unprecedented multimedia enterprise over the next three months in partnership with The Daily Telegraph's I Promise campaign.
Learner and P-plate drivers will be offered free I Promise glovebox guides at every motor registry and be encouraged to take the safe driving pledge when they go for their licence.
The RTA website will also link directly to the I Promise pledge.
Young drivers who take the pledge will receive an I Promise car sticker, which is also free with Monday's The Daily Telegraph. The glovebox guide will be free in next Saturday's The Daily Telegraph. The announcement follows a wave of support for the campaign, with triple V8 Supercar champion Craig Lowndes yesterday taking the I Promise pledge.
He joins hundreds of ordinary drivers who have pledged to take responsibility for their road behaviour. There are four main planks to the Government campaign:
* AN iPhone application allowing learner driver to practice their driver knowledge test;
* AN online campaign including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to support I Promise;
* A PUSH for learner drivers to take the I Promise pledge; and
* A NEW road safety advisory committee to advise the Transport and Roads Minister on issues of road safety, with a person aged under 25 appointed to the committee.
Personally... they basically are just asking young drivers to drive safe.... I can't see it working...

More can be found at http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ipromise

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching

Last edited by Kia Chaser; 20-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next they'll be giving out rings and they'll be asking kids to remain virgin.. I mean safe drivers.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
SVD

well at least they are trying something different as opposed to, oh...just so you kids no, you can't drive anything that has a petrol motor in it, only electric for you kiddies...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
Ride
Stay Classy ™

This has got to be an utter crock of ********. Instead of spending all this money on advertising and marketing the campaign it'd be much more useful in funding driver training program for Learners or new P platers to learn how to properly control a car responsibly.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: : : : : : : : .

phones teaching kids how to drive : . oh just great !
Old 21-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

who the hell keeps thinking up this horse **********? Spend the money on sometihng that will actually help these new drivers, not stickers and a little book for the glovebox.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
well at least they are trying something different as opposed to, oh...just so you kids no, you can't drive anything that has a petrol motor in it, only electric for you kiddies...
I've seen electric cars out drag a few Ferraris....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Too bad they only have enough juice to last till the end of the race.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It starts with, 'I promise I won't steal cookies from Mummy's cookie jar'
Then it's, 'I promise I will do my homework as soon as I get it'

Now it's, 'I promise I'll drive safer.'

Hmm...I see a pattern....

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Stupid is as stupid does, and the RTA is by far the stupidest (sic).
RTA = Road Tax Authority, full of bureaucrats that sit on their backsides and do nothing. Sort of like the hospitals with 9 bureaucrats to manage each bed. No wonder there's no funding, no wonder they don't fix roads, no wonder we're all paying more in tax.
I thought the idea was to discourage behaviours such as using a phone in the car etc.

Quote: