Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
TimXR6

Default Au ute 3 seater

Wasnt sure whether to post this here or in the ute section.......

Im looking at getting an au trayback ute. The only thing stopping me is it needs to be 5 speed AND have a 3rd middle seat. I'm assuming the middle seat was only available on column shift autos.

So, how hard is it to install a middle seat? ie actual fitting, engineering etc...

an example can be found on this au thats on ebay at the moment. Just looks like theyve swapped the centre console for a fold down seat

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2000-Ford-Fal...item4cee0bf079

any input appreciated
Tim

TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

That one is a 5M as well. The middle seat is only rated to take a smallish child though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Or a Jockey ... close enough.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
TimXR6

yeah that 3rd seat is obviously not factory fitted. Will be used on occasion to seat my young bloke.

That being said, i have driven a column au with 3 big blokes in the front.

Was hoping someone might have info on the install. ie do the manual cars come with the same mounting points as the column cars. Meaning fitment is a simple bolt in affair.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXR6
yeah that 3rd seat is obviously not factory fitted. Will be used on occasion to seat my young bloke.

That being said, i have driven a column au with 3 big blokes in the front.

Was hoping someone might have info on the install. ie do the manual cars come with the same mounting points as the column cars. Meaning fitment is a simple bolt in affair.
Pretty sure that's not a factory seat as there wouldn't be enough room for the handbrake in that position in a genuine 3 seater.
Looks like it hasn't been engineered/plated either as it states that it's a 2 seater.
I went the other way around and converted a 3 seater BA XL ute with column shift auto to full XR interior with floor shift auto, centre handbrake etc.
Au's are obviously different in a few areas, the handbrake may have to be moved/changed to the foot operated 3 seater type, and I think that the seat mounting for the middle section MIGHT be different as well.
Also the factory centre inertia reel lap/sash seat belt on the BA's are originally mounted on the rear panel by means of a welded bracket which is covered by a specially moulded carpet type cover that fits over the mounted seat belt and rear wall...you may have to fit a lap belt in the centre section (if that's legal).
Best to check with an approved seat fitting company before you buy/start anything so you get it right first time.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS

Last edited by Linz; 11-03-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz
Pretty sure that's not a factory seat as there wouldn't be enough room for the handbrake in that position in a genuine 3 seater.
Looks like it hasn't been engineered/plated either as it states that it's a 2 seater.
I went the other way around and converted a 3 seater BA XL ute with column shift auto to full XR interior with floor shift auto, centre handbrake etc.
Au's are obviously different in a few areas, the handbrake may have to be moved/changed to the foot operated 3 seater type, and I think that the seat mounting for the middle section MIGHT be different as well.
Also the factory centre inertia reel lap/sash seat belt on the BA's are originally mounted on the rear panel by means of a welded bracket which is covered by a specially moulded carpet type cover that fits over the mounted seat belt and rear wall...you may have to fit a lap belt in the centre section (if that's legal).
Best to check with an approved seat fitting company before you buy/start anything so you get it right first time.
Just had a look on Carsales and found this example...http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...eater&trecs=10

Looks like the AU has a centre lap belt and foot operated parking brake.
Probably the most difficult part would be changing over the parking brake system, but shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have all the parts from the wreckers and ready to go in.

Last edited by Linz; 11-03-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

The centre seat just hangs off the passenger seat - there's no runners for it. So yes, the assembly from a 3 seater should just bolt in. The handbrake on mine mounts to the outside of the driver's seat, so you'd need that assembly too, as well as the cable.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
TimXR6

Thanks for the help blokes.

Assuming that the seat and park brake assemblies will bolt into existing factory mounts, would engineering still be necessary? If not sounds pretty straight forward. I would hate to have to buy a hilux.....
Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
The centre seat just hangs off the passenger seat - there's no runners for it. So yes, the assembly from a 3 seater should just bolt in. The handbrake on mine mounts to the outside of the driver's seat, so you'd need that assembly too, as well as the cable.
Ahh, so your handbrake is the same as the BA then...I've only seen the foot operated variety on the AU, must've been an early model then.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXR6
Thanks for the help blokes.

Assuming that the seat and park brake assemblies will bolt into existing factory mounts, would engineering still be necessary? If not sounds pretty straight forward. I would hate to have to buy a hilux.....
Engineering as such wouldn't be needed if you use all factory parts and mounts etc...but you WILL need to have a modification plate affixed to the ute to show the change in seating positions from 2 to 3...if you want to keep the car legal that is.
I did this to mine, it's no big deal and you'll have nothing to worry about if the car is inspected at any time.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
illusivedreams

Au in a 3 seater has the park break is on the right of the drivers seat in our company vehicle, You simply use your right hand and pull up as per normal.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post