Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
whitey

Default AU11 Fairmont 6/2000

HI there

just signed up and really like this site, i am looking at buying a AU11 fairmont 2000 has done 83000klms. dont know much when it come to cars so i got a inspection on it, with just a few problems and was woundering if they were commen problems or just maintenance problems and are they easy or hard to fix as it has a 2 year warranty.
1. oil leaking fron engine sump
2. oil leaking from differential
3. fluid loss at left steering rack boot
4. remote door look inoperative

if anybody could help this would be much appritate
whitey

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Welcome to AFF! Hope some or all of this helps:

1. Common enough on all falcons - if it's only from the sump, try tightening the bolts, but not too much. From memory, they only require 5 to 10 NM on a torque wrench (ie finger tight, then about one turn). If it's just the bolts, cost should be no more than $20 (ie about 15 mins work by a mechanic). If the gasket is actually shot and needs replacing, then the gasket itslef is cheap enough, but you need to drop the K frame to replace it - bank on around $400 in labour to do this.

2.Diff leak is common - usually it's just the housing gasket or the "check level" bolt fibre washer. Easy enough to fix, but if it's really leaking, then you may have diff damage. If it's a minor leak, replace the appropriate gasket and she should be right. Cost approx $80 (mostly labour).

3. steering racks for these go all the time. About $300 should see you with a new/reco one no worries at all.

4. Two possibilities here - flat battery, or the remote needs to retrained to the car. The instructions on how to do this are in the owners manual. Try it, and if that doesn't then it could be a fuse - refer to woners manual for the appropriate fuse number. If it's none of them, then it could be the BCM (body control module), which would be fairly expensive to replace (approx $1000), but I doubt it's that - I reckon it will be flat battery in remote, or remote needs to be retrained to car. Both should be inexpensive (<$5)

With the things that cost money, If it's a prvate sale use these a bargaining tool to knock some of the cost of the price of the car. If it's from a dealers, make sure the dealer fixes these issues before you buy (that shouldn't cost you anything).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 28-08-2005 at 03:38 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Not knowing much about the details, is the steering rack issue related to the recall ford did for them?
Old 28-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Not knowing much about the details, is the steering rack issue related to the recall ford did for them?
nah unfortunately....the Ford recall was to stop the rack becoming loose and causing the driver to loose control.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 01:21 AM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey
HI there

just signed up and really like this site, i am looking at buying a AU11 fairmont 2000 has done 83000klms. dont know much when it come to cars so i got a inspection on it, with just a few problems and was woundering if they were commen problems or just maintenance problems and are they easy or hard to fix as it has a 2 year warranty.
1. oil leaking fron engine sump
2. oil leaking from differential
3. fluid loss at left steering rack boot
4. remote door look inoperative

if anybody could help this would be much appritate
whitey
Great news! buying an AU2 fairmont!. Mine is only a forte bought with the same KM'S already done an extra 12kms in 3 months no probs. Just make sure you have all the fluids drained eg DIFF, gearbox, powersteering, brake fluid, coolant flush,flush the oil & put a quality one in. Sounds time comsuming or costly but "PREVENTATIVE MAINTENACE" Go the warranty!
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

i just bought a AU II Fairmont 11/2000 with 90 000klms on it.

the sump was leaking on it, as was the tranny housing, the remotes didnt work and i got a detail done.
there is also a little rust on the boot strut and underneath it. i am in the process of having ford fix it.

yeah i just got some new remotes. the battery in yours could be dead. and then youll need to retrain the remotes.

but i got all the work done relatively cheaply and purchased some extra warranty.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post