Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Car salesman

I just landed an interview for a car salesman cadet job and the interview is coming up sometime in January. I got a few questions for the car salesmen on here, is the job comission only or is there a base wage? Thats about the only thing I am worried about.

Thanks.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am pretty sure there are no commision jobs only in this industry
somebody do correct me if i am wrong
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's always a retainer in commission based jobs i would have thought, good luck man
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Nappa
Impressive...

First off is it new or used.

as a new car sales cadet you start on a base of around 28-30k plus commision. You may not sell anything or be allowed to sell in the first couple of weeks.
Super is now taken off your total wage, retainer plus commision, up until last year super was only deducted from your retainer.

The great thing is how much you earn is up to you, your retainer will go up over time but your commission is where you make the money.

Most dealers are now doing a 5day week, where you work saturday but take a day of during the week. However some still operate on a rdo once a fortnight.

If your used to being a clock watcher at your current job its not the same in a dealer. expect to work as long as it takes without overtime.

Try to place your self in a dealer that is well respected in the community.
I certainley wouldnt want to work for a company that has a habit of burning people.
Old 23-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
First off is it new or used.

as a new car sales cadet you start on a base of around 28-30k plus commision. You may not sell anything or be allowed to sell in the first couple of weeks.
Super is now taken off your total wage, retainer plus commision, up until last year super was only deducted from your retainer.

The great thing is how much you earn is up to you, your retainer will go up over time but your commission is where you make the money.

Most dealers are now doing a 5day week, where you work saturday but take a day of during the week. However some still operate on a rdo once a fortnight.

If your used to being a clock watcher at your current job its not the same in a dealer. expect to work as long as it takes without overtime.

Try to place your self in a dealer that is well respected in the community.
I certainley wouldnt want to work for a company that has a habit of burning people.
I'm not sure if its a new car or used car dealership, I applied via Seek and I got an email from "Auto Plus Melbourne" in Richmond.

I'm not a clock watcher at my current job as we stay back depending on what needs to be done, so we don't have a set finishing time. I don't mind work on weekends either or overtime, I got nothing better to be doing anyways.

$28-$30K is bloody good for me compared to the $5000 or so that I'm on now as I only work casual and I'm 18 at home.

Also how much is the comission per sale and does the salesman have much power in the bargaining process or is it just what the principle says you can do?

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.
Old 23-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats on the Job and good luck with the interview. Different companies will have different policies regarding pay so it's best to ask during the interview. It's always good to ask alot of questions about the company during the interview.

My advice is check out their website and learn about the company so it seems you've done some research and are actually very intertested about the job. It gives a much better perception of you then what would just be a pretty blank resume
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I just looked more into it, It looks like they don't actually sell cars?

http://www.aplp.com.au/about.html

Alright, what a "Loyalty Program", why are they called "Auto Plus" and why was it listed with all the car salesman cadetship positions?

I think I'll skip this one and start putting resume's into car dealerships. Does anyone know of any dealerships in Melbourne (western suburbs prefered) who have car salesman cadetships? It would be much appreciated. I just applied to carcorp dealerships in Moorabbin.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-12-2009 at 06:41 PM.