Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
t2te50
Banned

Default IRIDIUM PLUGS REPLACE AT 70,000kms

Anyone with a ford 6 AU and on don't wait 100,000 to replace the plugs I replaced our AU2 fairlanes the other day and they where rooted. The electrode was melted affecting economy. The car is on 80,000 km.

*The give away of crook plugs externally is the build up of carbon deposits around the base of the insulator (from overheating). Due to the increase in resistance from the gap increasing

I say change them at 70,000 and that way your engine will run smooth and efficiently. This goes for most of us city dwellers and I realise there is an exception with country folk.

t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was the part number igcr**something something,,in the NGK's??
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
t2te50
Banned

Don't know didn't take any notice all I can say don't stretch it out to 90 or 100.
Old 29-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Which type plugs are you running? NGK or Denso iridiums? Found NGK made the car feel slower ,denso felt faster.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
t2te50
Banned

Sorry, I forgot yeah their the factory ones. I use only ford factory parts on the engine don't take any chances. They cost $18 each trade price.
Old 29-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Which type plugs are you running? NGK or Denso iridiums? Found NGK made the car feel slower ,denso felt faster.
There was a test in a American mag I read on testing the iridiums on some Honda with a turbo. The out come was the denso's performed the best but not by much they also ran a 0-40w synthetic oil ? which gave them a 2 kw increase. I must admit never heard of a 0w rated oil before 5w is the lowest rating I've seen.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
legend223

hey guys my car is coming up to 100,000K's and i need to know is it good to replace them at 100,000 and what is the difference between the new plugs and the old ones im using now.

I was told when you put new ones in it, It uses less fuel is that right
legend223 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

I changed mine @95000k and they didn't show any noticable signs of wear. If I hadn't had a set, I would have happily run them again.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
Anyone with a ford 6 AU and on don't wait 100,000 to replace the plugs I replaced our AU2 fairlanes the other day and they where rooted. The electrode was melted affecting economy. The car is on 80,000 km.

*The give away of crook plugs externally is the build up of carbon deposits around the base of the insulator (from overheating). Due to the increase in resistance from the gap increasing

I say change them at 70,000 and that way your engine will run smooth and efficiently. This goes for most of us city dwellers and I realise there is an exception with country folk.
I am not running irridums only bosch super 4's with the 4 electodes. Via the service manual is says every 15k standard when I got my car they were at 14k & r**ted. I change then every 10k. The new ones say 30k being better quality but there is no way I will wait until that. They will be out at 15 max maybe that is overkill but plugs do make a big difference in fuel economy & idle.
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50

Useless seems to be the plug guru from other threads I have read.
Old 29-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I have had around 50 sets of plugs tested in my car this year alone...NGK iridiums slowed my car down by a full second 0-100 over standard ngk plugs. The bet results I had were with a zg series xr6 plug but cant run them since unichip retune on standard plugs due to pinging.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 29-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I have had around 50 sets of plugs tested in my car this year alone...NGK iridiums slowed my car down by a full second 0-100 over standard ngk plugs. The bet results I had were with a zg series xr6 plug but cant run them since unichip retune on standard plugs due to pinging.
Useless, Where Can I get these from & how much?
Old 29-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

For every upside there is a downside. If youm want to try them ..you can.Many have shot me down on this but I tested these for my own research and others may not get the same results. The difference I have physically found is that their length is longer than standard plugs and probably cause a better combustion.

ZGR6B-11
NGK'S
from repco
If you try them be wary of pinging..if they do pull them out.I also did a crapload of testing on air intakes...and I do assure you that a huge intake will make the car go slower.I dont really like dynos that much more ..but my favourite tuner Spiro from Autotech enginneering here in Sydney has one and hes used it to make my car better.So I let him do his magic ...top bloke!! :

Spiro..Sydney luvs ya mate!!!

Last edited by Stav; 29-08-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 29-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #14
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

useless, what kind of intake do u recommend??
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #15
chippa6
Novice Professional

I replaced my standard iridiums today @ 112000klms
on about half of them the small tip of the electrode was missing. I contemplated replacing with iridiums, platinum, super 4 etc etc. I ended up getting the normal bosch plugs WR9LEV from memory.

I had posted another thread in the 6cl forum about the loss of power in my car and the erratic idle so i hope the new plugs make things better.

on another note I threw a multimeter over leads 1 & 6 and got resistance of just over 9 for both is that ok?

Chippa
Old 30-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
useless, what kind of intake do u recommend??
I never liked the pod filters and still dont.But the truth is it makes the car faster. I have mine inside the airbox .
They say that cold air is much better from the original outside source. Real power gains are made when the cold air is forced into the intake by way of a ram induction setup.This means funnelling cold air from the front of the car somehow. As car speed increases so to will the air being shoved into the air intake. I have yet to see anyone make a proper one but I think that it will yield good power.

Old 30-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #17
shepv8
V8's for ever

my AU 1 XR8 manual says that the left and right cylinder banks have different plugs. "gold" and "blue" I think ,from memory. Anyone know what this is all about.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post