Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
phoenix99

Default Imported Car Insurance

Just a quick question regarding insurance for imported cars (i know its not a ford), but who can I insure with except justcars?

I am 24 which doesnt help unfortunately

phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shannons might be able to help.

i think young and cool used to do it, don't even know if they exist anymore

good luck.

what car have you got / looking at?
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons and Vigil will give you the best rate. I have had a few imported cars and have been with them in the past.

Do a Goole search for an insurance broker and they'll find you the best deal.

Stay away from Just car, they'll rip you!
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
phoenix99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
shannons might be able to help.

i think young and cool used to do it, don't even know if they exist anymore

good luck.

what car have you got / looking at?
Just brought a 1999 nissan silvia spec r after my BA XT, was stolen and written off.

I tried shannons but you have to be a "motor enthusiast", the guy basically said I have to be working on cars myself i.e. modifying them and have to have to prove that I have been doing this in the past. I am a motoring enthusiast but dont get my hands dirty as such so I am apparently excluded.

There is also famouscarinsurance, but I cant get that because I have had a theft claim, which is bloody annoying!
Old 21-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I thought the car would be something "different" when you said import. My best mate insures his silvia through aami, not too expensive and monthly payments on premiums. Give them a call. @24 you're pretty well off if you think about it, my mate is 20 and pays around 1200/year for his silvia, so you shouldn't pay much more.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
phoenix99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
I thought the car would be something "different" when you said import. My best mate insures his silvia through aami, not too expensive and monthly payments on premiums. Give them a call. @24 you're pretty well off if you think about it, my mate is 20 and pays around 1200/year for his silvia, so you shouldn't pay much more.
hmm are you sure its a silvia or aus delivered 200SX? No one has a problem insuring a 200SX but as soon as you mention silvia they say sorry cant help you.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

try:
Lumley
Rino
Young & Cool (if your are in NSW)
Old 21-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Young & Cool are now Famous Car Insurance.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
AdzT3-146
own the road

LSV aren't insuring imports anymore.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
BOSHOG
avenge me

AAMI are more than happy to insure an evo for me
Old 21-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
Just brought a 1999 nissan silvia spec r after my BA XT, was stolen and written off.

I tried shannons but you have to be a "motor enthusiast", the guy basically said I have to be working on cars myself i.e. modifying them and have to have to prove that I have been doing this in the past. I am a motoring enthusiast but dont get my hands dirty as such so I am apparently excluded.

There is also famouscarinsurance, but I cant get that because I have had a theft claim, which is bloody annoying!

Sounds typical of Shannons. Told me they wouldnt insure me because im under 25 (NO claims or offences). Despite knowing several people under 25 with Shannons. It's as if their corporate policies are on a "flavour of the month" basis. :
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Sounds typical of Shannons. Told me they wouldnt insure me because im under 25 (NO claims or offences). Despite knowing several people under 25 with Shannons. It's as if their corporate policies are on a "flavour of the month" basis. :
when i was looking at getting a vs clubsport back in 2006/2007 (so yes a 10 year old hsv) shannons wouldn't touch me due to it being a 'high performance vehicle' even though the clubsports were only rated at 185kw and the au 6 cyl i have is 157kw : and i was only going to drive the car maybe once a week due to having a work vehicle and working 6 days a week.

they asked if i was a member of any car clubs or did any driving events - i had neither of these due to the fact i drove a mazda 323 and a stock au falcon. i wasn't going to race either of those cars or join a car club with them..

i still have the falcon and i now drive a 1997 model hyundai excel
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
when i was looking at getting a vs clubsport back in 2006/2007 (so yes a 10 year old hsv) shannons wouldn't touch me due to it being a 'high performance vehicle' even though the clubsports were only rated at 185kw and the au 6 cyl i have is 157kw : and i was only going to drive the car maybe once a week due to having a work vehicle and working 6 days a week.

they asked if i was a member of any car clubs or did any driving events - i had neither of these due to the fact i drove a mazda 323 and a stock au falcon. i wasn't going to race either of those cars or join a car club with them..

i still have the falcon and i now drive a 1997 model hyundai excel
Agreed. I suppose a 30-odd year old, 220+KW XY GT is not a "high performance vehicle"? So much for it's love mate, pure and simple. Idiots.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

AAMI is Just Cars aye. I use them and havent had a problem. No one wanted to touch me with my Te50 and being 22. Despite no claims or offences also.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
BOSHOG
avenge me

AAMI were great when i wrote off the ford, couldnt have been more helpful
Old 21-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #16
phoenix99

i think i am doomed to be with just cars for atleast 1 yr, then when I turn 25 my options will open up a bit more I guess
Old 21-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
loosey

*apparently* if you tell shannons you regularly attend car events they'll insure you. (motorshow, autosalon, drifts, drags etc) Make sure it's relevant to imports though.
I'm with Justcar and although they've been pretty good I'm about to start searching for a new insurer if my car(R33) doesn't sell but i don't like my chances finding one since I'm not over 25 haha.
I suggest you go on nissansilvia.com and ask the question there, you'll have to read through a bit of bs but they'll know.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Yeah mate, silvia not an aus 200. Ones dog ugly, ones gorgeous and sleek. Go the 200! Just try aami, they insure me and are great, cheap, unlimited mods, constant value set at 22,500 for a small fee. Love it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #19
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99

If you tell Shannon's that you're a member of this forum, it should be enough to pass their 'enthusiast' test.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #20
xbcool
dazed&confused

gee I'm glad I'm an old bugger, the youngsters just get ripped off.

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Shannons and Vigil will give you the best rate. I have had a few imported cars and have been with them in the past.

Do a Goole search for an insurance broker and they'll find you the best deal.

Stay away from Just car, they'll rip you!
I had an old classic with Vigil, and liked how they reduced the premiums to reflect the lower KM you would generally do with a classic.

Don't think they exist any more however? Or they have just been absorbed by a larger company.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I'm insured with Just Car Insurance. I found their quote to be slightly better than Shannon's. Shannon's may have slightly lower excess in the event of a claim. I got my car when I was 25, I think it makes a difference turning 24 to 25.
Old 22-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I had an old classic with Vigil, and liked how they reduced the premiums to reflect the lower KM you would generally do with a classic.

Don't think they exist any more however? Or they have just been absorbed by a larger company.
Shannons have "limited use" and an "extreme limited use" policy, tell them you do hardly any k's per year, only for shows etc etc.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Shannons have "limited use" and an "extreme limited use" policy, tell them you do hardly any k's per year, only for shows etc etc.
Don't know why I didn't go with Shannons at the time. I do remember calling them, but think I was either too young (23 or 24?) or their premiums were more than Vigil.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
phoenix99

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
If you tell Shannon's that you're a member of this forum, it should be enough to pass their 'enthusiast' test.
believe me I did, but no go, perhaps just fogging me off as I am 24

atm just cars is offerring for the silvia:

a premium of $2700
Excess of $3000 ($4100 if the car is stolen)

Personally I just think they (just cars) stereotype everyone as a hoon and charge through the roof

I would hate to think what they would quote if I was younger

Last edited by phoenix99; 22-12-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 22-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
loosey

When I did the online quote it was different to what I was actually charged (worked out to be about 300 in my favour). I pay ~1200 p/a, i'm 23, rating 2 and have my mods listed . The big difference is my car is probably worth half of what yours is and mine is auto (shift kitted though). I think my excess is about $2700.
Old 22-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
When I did the online quote it was different to what I was actually charged (worked out to be about 300 in my favour). I pay ~1200 p/a, i'm 23, rating 2 and have my mods listed . The big difference is my car is probably worth half of what yours is and mine is auto (shift kitted though). I think my excess is about $2700.
:
Old 22-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #28
loosey

^ I don't know why I'm getting wtf??

The excess works out so expensive because I incur extra 'penalties' for having a 'high performance car' and being a male under 25. Those numbers are off the top of my head but would be pretty close. I think you can offset it so you have a small premium but your excess will be astronomical (not a good idea).
Old 22-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #29
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
^ I don't know why I'm getting wtf??

The excess works out so expensive because I incur extra 'penalties' for having a 'high performance car' and being a male under 25. Those numbers are off the top of my head but would be pretty close. I think you can offset it so you have a small premium but your excess will be astronomical (not a good idea).
Not to you personally mate, just can't believe that excess...

And, I just read the post above... insane.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #30
loosey

That's the price you pay I guess, may as well make the most of owning/ driving one while I can.