Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
ChrisHudson
Starter Motor

Default Econetic to buy or not to buy

Hi

I was just in the process of placing an order for a new Zetec and then the Econetic was announced. Now, I have a dilemma.

I've owned a couple of Fiestas in the UK and I love the latest model. I've never been a big car person and there's only me and my partner (no kids), so we don't need a more 'traditional' Aussie car. We only had 1.25l Zetec in the UK and that was fine even on motorways.

But now we're seriously thinking about the Econetic. We'd like to do the 'right' thing (green, environment, economy etc.) I've read good things about it in the European press. But I also have to be practical. So...

- What's the availability of diesel like in and around Melbourne? A few colleagues have said it's not great.

- The specs state it can use B5 Biodiesel, but where can you get that?

The quoted drive away price is also a little high as I was quoted $23k for the Zetec with premium paint. Do you think they'll discount the Econetic at all?

I'm really excited by the prospect of having one of these super-efficient Euro-diesels that don't really sacrifice performance too much.

Anyone got any thoughts?

ChrisHudson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Doubt there will be any massive discounting with the econetic, and isn't it petrol powered? If you look in the pub there is a thread on the green car challenge, econetic won that.

If its just you and your wife then have some fun and grab a really good example XR4. But if you want new then perhaps stick with the zetec.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The econetic has a diesel engine polyal.

Chris, I dont think I've ever been to a servo in or around Melbourne that hasn't has diesel pumps.

Not sure about B5 Biodisel.

I doubt any Ford dealer would do any sort of discounting as its just arrived here.

The econentic is relatively pricey, but not when you compare to other eco-friendly cars such as Prius, and there is alot of standard equipment.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage

It does however, come as a manual only (I'd prefer a manual Fiesta personally but some might not) combined with a pretty torquey engine it should be a good drive.

If you really want to do the right thing by the environment the econetic seems like a pretty sure thing, pending a test drive to make sure you'd enjoy driving it of course.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
ChrisHudson
Starter Motor

Thanks Leadfoot.

I have no problems with a manual - in fact I don't see the point of an auto on a small car.

Re: diesel - I would have assumed that (not having a car as yet), but people said it wasn't readily available. Probably a case of if you're not a diesel user, then you don't notice these things.

The spec if almost the same as the Zetec anyway - almost. Plus it appears to have a few extras that the Euro model doesn't - cruise control and aircon for starters.

I might enquire when I can get a test drive.
ChrisHudson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never been to a petrol station in my life that hasn't had a diesel pump (there's alot of van/buses/trucks around that need it not to mention a large percentage of 4wd's). If I were to get a Fiesta when both Petrol and Diesel were availible it would ahve been the diesel for sure. It's a sporty car sure but the main reason you buy one in the end is that it's cheap to run because there are cars around that go alot lot faster if that's what you really want
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
StormyKnight
'09 Vision 5 Dr Man Zetec

Yep you will find Diesel anywhere you can find unleaded....the only reason I didn't wait for the Diesel was the price of Diesel over Unleaded...

We already have a Diesel Prado & when we got it Diesel was 10c/L cheeper than unleaded. At that rate the cost of ownership considering the economy of a Diesel, the shorter service interval (5k instead of 10k) worked out about even. But since Diesel is now equal to unleaded & often greater we decided on the petrol for the Fiesta.

Worth including in your calculations re running costs if they are a factor, but as a Diesel only user up until yesterday...Diesel can be found anywhere just as easy as unleaded, & even moreso than premium....

Cheers
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Econetic looses out on a fair bit of the Zetecs kit actually. No projector headlampt, no foglights, no sports trim, no USB port, it only has tiny 14 inch rims with no alloys, no body kit plus more. It does have a shift light to tell you when to change gear efficiently!!! From a value point if view and dynamics, the Zetec is the clear winner with mire kit for less and a much sportier setup, not to mention stylish 16inch alloys. The Econetic is a bit of a niche model, if only they offered the 1.6 diesel on the Zetec, that would be sweet!!!
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Headlight globe busted on ours tonight :p I wonder if globes are inthe warrenty :P. First time I've ever had a headlight globe fail on any car in my entire life. Amazing
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
south21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Headlight globe busted on ours tonight :p I wonder if globes are inthe warrenty :P. First time I've ever had a headlight globe fail on any car in my entire life. Amazing
My headlight globe went as well, expensive little buggers $26.00, not too bad to put in the whole headlight comes out, 2 torx screws and a locking thingy I dont know it's correct name but it's a mongrel to get out.
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
StormyKnight

55W globes should last a long time...its not like they are 130's! Was it the low or high beams & how old are your cars?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

just going off older utes that are diesel but wouldnt a deisel car be alot more tough, most old mercedes deisels and utes get nearlly twice the kilometers before the engine is buggerd, most avg 600,000 km's and still go strong.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
StormyKnight

Well yes & no.....Old Diesels used to last forever because they were gutless & didn't have enough power to wear out . You couldn't thrash them to within an inch of there life & if you kept the maintenance up they would continue to run.

Not so sure about newer Diesels, manufactures are starting to cut corners in this area to reduce weight & to increase horsepower.

Also you will find plenty of petrol/gas powered engines with long lives in taxis afterall....
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Dustproof

Default Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyKnight
Well yes & no.....Old Diesels used to last forever because they were gutless & didn't have enough power to wear out . You couldn't thrash them to within an inch of there life & if you kept the maintenance up they would continue to run.

Not so sure about newer Diesels, manufactures are starting to cut corners in this area to reduce weight & to increase horsepower.

Also you will find plenty of petrol/gas powered engines with long lives in taxis afterall....
I have a Focus Diesel and love it, it is engineered for no major maintenance until 240,000Km's (Clutch and OHC drive belt etc). I believe the Ecotecnic would have the same Peugeot/Citroen sourced Diesel, if this is the case it is the same engine that is in the new 1.6L Mini Diesel. Believe me BMW wouldn't use it if it isn't any good so I think it will stand the test of time.

The old trucks had low HP, something like 40HP but had over 1000ft lbs of torque, this is why they are slow but will pull just about anything. They also had a lower oil pressure and no turbo so 600,000km's was reasonable, now the oil pressure is so much better, the fuel is injected at higher pressures so the engine uses lower compression with a turbo to build power - it should still last just as well.

In all the Diesel engine is the most efficient of all engines, the way the power is produced makes the engine last much longer and is much more economical.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
StormyKnight

What you say is right Dustproof, my last two 4WDrives including the current one are Diesels - Pushing 2 tonnes around empty is much more economical in a Diesel for sure but mine is only 96kw but 343Nm. The reason we have a Fiesta now is that the 4WD is comming up to 200,000km, whilst thats not a great amount for a Diesel, if we kept putting 30,000km on it a year its going to add to its depreciation & honestly the replacement models are not only heaps dearer, they are less off road capable...

Its a pity that the Diesel doesn't come up to the Zetec specification for options but I guess no car is perfect there is always some sort of compromise somewhere...

One thing I wonder is how a 14inch tyre can get better economy than a 17in? There is a lot more sidewall flex in a 14...

To be honest the Diesel i30 was something I breifly considered before the Fiesta but they are even rarer than the Zetecs...& knowing my luck Diesel will end up being dearer than ULP by more than the fuel saved per 100km. (Thats what happen when we got the last 4WD....:( )

Cheers
Old 13-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
Nappa
Impressive...

i just went for a drive in the new econetic. goes pretty good, not as fast as the petrol manual but certanly more then enough. I thought it would look a bit crap with 14" but it actually looks fine.

I reckon it would make a great little courier or delivery car.
Old 13-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If they can do the same thing to the Econetic as they can with the i30 Diesel (hot 4s mag done an article on the i30) then it should be awesome, they boosted up power and torque heaps by just exhaust and tuning.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
i just went for a drive in the new econetic. goes pretty good, not as fast as the petrol manual but certanly more then enough. I thought it would look a bit crap with 14" but it actually looks fine.

I reckon it would make a great little courier or delivery car.

Glad someone on here went for a drive in one. I'll be sure to have a look at it too. What was the grip like mate? I'm pretty cautious with those skinny tires being such a low rolling resistance?
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Glad someone on here went for a drive in one. I'll be sure to have a look at it too. What was the grip like mate? I'm pretty cautious with those skinny tires being such a low rolling resistance?

i only took it for a quick lap of the block, it felt sure footed but those tyres are a little noisier on the harsher surfaces. however the engine is quieter then i would have expected. the lack of spare tyre might turn some people away however it doesnt bother me.

doing some quick calculations if you drove from melb to sydney it would you about $33 of fuel and just over half a tank.