Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Kryton

Default Buying land/property

Quick rough question for anyone in the know.

Basically, can i borrow money to buy a property/land (acreage) even if i dont want to live in/on it and it is in a completely different area?

The property may or may not have a house on it and may or may not have planning/building options.

I dont own a home, i have no mortgage and i couldnt say for certain that the property would provide income (depends on property and location).

probably be looking at the 150k or less mark with a 10-20% deposit.

Is this the sort of thing banks will lend money for or do i have to go and live in the first house/land i buy?

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you dont have to live in them,
you wont get the first home bonus on a vacant block
bank will still look at your finances and deposit same way criterior as any other loan
i.e. ability to service loan and job security
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

I borrowed money for a block of land with no house on it. It took me around 5 years to start building on it.

So yes you can.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
winkle

Generally speaking, as long as your income can service the loan, you shouldn't have any problems. Specifically speaking, if the property is over 25 acres, you may struggle to get mortgage insurance, meaning you have to keep the Loan to Value Ratio (LVR) to less than 80%. So you would need to put up a 20% deposit, plus roughly another 5% in costs. The Commonwealth Bank at this moment are pretty much lending on any property, whereas other banks are being a bit more picky. If you can service the loan on your income alone without relying on any income from the property, you will have a better chance of gaining approval.

If the property has no residence, you won't get the First Home Owners Grant, as OldFordNut mentioned.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check if the property is classed as rural land, as some banks will only allow you to borrow upto 70% of the value if it is classed as rural.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
silver_xe

We got a loan for a block of land through commonwealth and part of the conditions was we had to start building on the land within 4 years, so thats something else to consider.
silver_xe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i borrowed money to buy my 4.3 acre block of dirt. i had no other property for security.
i bought it as a vacant lot with no set time to build.

i went through a mate who is a loan broker to find the money and got it from a building society. that was 2 years ago and he said that most of the banks were a bit hessitant about lending for vacant land and the ones that would lend charged extra interest.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I know sombody who, a few years ago, applied for a personal loan at a bank. When asked what it was for they replied 'it's personal you just have to lend me the money, not know what it's for'.

They got the loan.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If classed as rural, usually up to 70% LVR. But larger properties (broadacres) often attract lower lending levels (50-60% LVR) due to marketability issues etc. If residential, 80%. Check with your bank of choice.

The leverage is only one half of the equation though. You'll need to be able to demonstrate that you can service the debt off the income that you currently earn, as I assume that the land won't be generating any income for you (for the time being at least?).

And a small tip........work out what loan you can afford based on an interest rate of at least 3% higher than where rates currently are set. If you can only just afford the loan now, then what will happen when rates inevitably go up in 1, 2 or 5 years time? Build a buffer in mate. There's still a heap of people out there who are geared to the eyeballs with nowhere to go when rates go back up.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

^^^perfect answer!!!!! and interest rates WILL go up, it just depends when and how much!

Also remember that, the more money you can put into the property purchase will lower (or indeed abolish) the mortgage insurance for the loan. So show that bank you have cash, it'll help lower a lot of the charges and fee structures

As previously advised by the boys above, banks are more and more hesitant to loan cash on vacant land with no thought of building, or long terms prospects of building. MOST banks at the moment will not lend you more than 70% (CBA will lend you up to 85% if you have previous dealings with them) becuase they have overcommitted in the past and been caught out.

I know NAB is one of the few that will use guarantor loans (i.e. use other people to secure the loan if your assets or earnings are low).

Also remember that all banks are extremely slow at the moment for UNCONDITIONALLY approving loans (sure you'll get pre-approval; so will Clyde the Monkey) so if you do make a purchase and its subject to finance, keep an eye on the approval date, and make sure you get extensions if required.... otherwise you'll become unconditional, and you'll be in the poo financially.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Bank West will lend up to 95% of the loan, i have a preapproval through them now, just waiting on the right house to come along, BTW i have never banked with them before applying for a housing loan
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
JAYMZ
My Deception

Dont be afraid of credit unions too. They usually dont have as much restrictions. But that could just be my one.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Bank West will lend up to 95% of the loan, i have a preapproval through them now, just waiting on the right house to come along, BTW i have never banked with them before applying for a housing loan
That's interesting news and something for me to keep in mind... I've had problems with them in the past with off the plan purchases, and was unsure of their policy...

head towards bank west if you're getting donuts!
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
I know NAB is one of the few that will use guarantor loans (i.e. use other people to secure the loan if your assets or earnings are low).
so do Commonwealth. my son and daughter have just purchased a property in western sydney with no deposit apart from the first home buyers grant. Only guarantee was my wife and I guaranteeing the deposit amount of upto 20% of the loan.
settles at the end of July
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post