Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default Don't do U-Turns on the freeway.

Put this event at a couple of forums for perusal, its one of my personal bug bear offences, and is an illegal action in AUS and internationally, tis one of the reasons why we don't raise speed-limits of these roads.

* NSW RTA are trialling two GATELOCK systems on its F3 Sydney end; one design of which I expect to be chosen that will then be installed at all "Police & Emergency Service Vehicles Only" median located U-Turn bays, - to prevent the public from routinely using them, to stop drivers like this one.

Link to HERALD, see pics: -
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...f/1527199.aspx

P-plater escapes as car cut in half
By Tyron Butson
30/05/2009 4:00:00 am

Quote:
A P-PLATER had a miracle escape yesterday when her car was torn apart by a truck on the F3 Freeway at Black Hill.

Firefighters said the 19-year-old woman turned out of the emergency U-turn lane and into the path of the oncoming truck about 10am.

The truck cut her sedan in pieces, sending the driver's section of the car flying one way and carrying the rear end along.

Despite the damage inflicted on her Honda Civic the woman walked away from the wreck with only a bump on the head and minor injuries to her shoulder and side.

She was taken to John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition.

Emergency services said they were amazed she survived.

"She's amazingly lucky, amazingly," deputy fire captain Evan Dowling said.

"We don't see many cars cut into two like that any more, it's a real lucky escape."

Newcastle Highway Patrol officers are investigating the crash and expect to speak to the woman over the weekend.

Tom Corey, who was driving the truck that collided with the car, said he initially thought things would be a lot worse.

"I saw her turn out and I just went 'Oh S- poop'," he said.

"She's very lucky."

He said the crash had caused about $60,000 worth of damage to his truck.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 31-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed!!!

I hate this as well. I even had a excel hit me when I first got my license doing just this. Illegal U turn on a free way, I had no where to go and tried to move out of the waybut she went straight into the side of me : Trashed my 1st car.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Why is it another P plater just got their license and got no brains atleast she pulled out in front of a truck with her illegal U turn could have been a family in an excell and been much worse. How could you miss a truck FFS. : Just plain dumb. Should loose your license for years for pulling a stunt like that.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

No sh## comes to mind but a lot of people don't think of the dangers, as we see in the articles you provided.

There seems to be a common occurrence of people doing stupid things on the freeway, like reversing back up to an exit that they missed or blind lane changing and the inability to merge.

I've nearly hit some old bloke stopped in the middle of a spiral onramp reading a map!
Old 31-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Crazy yes but a mere drop in the ocean to all the dumb things that happen out there.

U turns are something that drive me nuts. I had to brake hard the other night coming home, thank god I have 6 spot brembos. I was in a 80 zone, sitting at that speed and came around a bend to almost clean up some guy that was finishing his uturn, at night, in an 80 zone and across double unbroken lines. Good thing for both of us I was not changing a cd or something like that, it would have been the difference between crash avoidance and impact.
Old 31-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

oh my not again. this is why insurance goes up :togo:

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'd assume as its an illegal act that the insurance wont cover her. So she will have a $60,000 repair bill...plus having to buy another car.

I hope the police charge her for this as its one idiotic thing to do on a freeway.
Old 31-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

YES..... finally some sense. Up here they would just reduce the speed limit on the freeway. (don't laugh, they have done it a LOT)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
YES..... finally some sense. Up here they would just reduce the speed limit on the freeway. (don't laugh, they have done it a LOT)
And don't we just hate them. All it seems to be is a quick fix to far bigger problems like poor designs and just makes everyone more frustrated and prone to do stupid things

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being in the car with Dad a few times going around, near Melbourne Airport, people do u turns on that road really commonly, over double lines and a 100km/h limit! Whats wrong with going up to the roundabout 200m up the road and coming back that way?

Instead they decide to slowly creep across the road and risk lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Being in the car with Dad a few times going around, near Melbourne Airport, people do u turns on that road really commonly, over double lines and a 100km/h limit! Whats wrong with going up to the roundabout 200m up the road and coming back that way?
I would say easier than doing the u turn.
Old 31-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'v seen lots of stupid actions, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone do a u-turn on a freeway.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I'd assume as its an illegal act that the insurance wont cover her. So she will have a $60,000 repair bill...plus having to buy another car.

I hope the police charge her for this as its one idiotic thing to do on a freeway.
Unless she was drunk, insurance will cover her negligence.

It seems people think that if the road immediately ahead of them is clear, then its fine to go. Forget about cars bearing down, forget that you are entering a 110km/h zone, as long as the road in front of your windscreen is clear then many people think it is safe to go.

For those of us on the through road it is simply then a test of reaction times and the deceleration abilities of our cars that keep us posting here. Happened to me no less than 3 hours ago - and I always drive with my full lights on - seems to reduce it a bit but not eliminate it.

This is a particualar bugbear of mine, especially when towing 2 tonne boats. They always seem to pull out in front of me when there is NOTHING behind me. Wait 5 seconds and everyone is safe, but heavin forbid the 5 seconds that those uber important people think they will lose from their narcissitic lives.

There was an article in the Fairfax Drive section on Friday with Fr Riley of Youth of the Streets. An incredibly patient (and awesome) man, but this was one of his biggest gripes on the road too - despite him saying nothing much else got to him when he drove.

If you can clearly see any oncoming vehicle in a high speed zone, then it is simply not safe to pull out. If you do miss something then for heavens sake FLOOR IT and try to get out of the way, don't just sit there at 30km/h in a 110 zone!
Old 31-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
BlackLS
yum

A few months back Hume Hwy Southbound 2km from the Brooks Road overpass, someone going about 60kmh in the left most lane suddenly swerves 4! lanes across in front of me to the centre cross over. I was on 110 and I saw them getting closer very quickly so I moved to the 2nd lane and started moving into the 3rd because I could feel that this person could be drunk or something. On the brakes, horn and high beams as I was about 1 second off them merging into me, I have little faith they got the hint.

Where has driver's common sense gone.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it that the police can't "charge" someone for being an "idiot" ?? :
This one deserves not only the maximum the Police can throw at her.... :
But also an Honorable Mention for "effort" in the next Darwin Awards :yeees:
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Unless she was drunk, insurance will cover her negligence.

It seems people think that if the road immediately ahead of them is clear, then its fine to go. Forget about cars bearing down, forget that you are entering a 110km/h zone, as long as the road in front of your windscreen is clear then many people think it is safe to go.

For those of us on the through road it is simply then a test of reaction times and the deceleration abilities of our cars that keep us posting here. Happened to me no less than 3 hours ago - and I always drive with my full lights on - seems to reduce it a bit but not eliminate it.

This is a particualar bugbear of mine, especially when towing 2 tonne boats. They always seem to pull out in front of me when there is NOTHING behind me. Wait 5 seconds and everyone is safe, but heavin forbid the 5 seconds that those uber important people think they will lose from their narcissitic lives.

There was an article in the Fairfax Drive section on Friday with Fr Riley of Youth of the Streets. An incredibly patient (and awesome) man, but this was one of his biggest gripes on the road too - despite him saying nothing much else got to him when he drove.

If you can clearly see any oncoming vehicle in a high speed zone, then it is simply not safe to pull out. If you do miss something then for heavens sake FLOOR IT and try to get out of the way, don't just sit there at 30km/h in a 110 zone!
I have that happen to me a lot, I'll be on a 100km/h road and in two places along my journey I'm bound to get a person pull out in front of me and continue putting along slowly like there is no problem. Yesterday on my way to work, this old lady in her AU Falcon pulled out in front of my boss and slowly accelerated to 60km/h in a 100km/h zone and sat on that putting along.

You're about to go onto a 100km/h road, pick up some speed if you're going to do the wrong thing, its the least you could do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #17
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

This thread is starting to sound like the Darwin Awards!

The (planet) country appears to be inhabited by a remarkable number of people who have no aptitude for driving a conveyance on any type.

More astonishing thing appears to me is that we live in a society who allows these people the privilege of being licensed to drive. How did we ever...?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
fordboy1981

meh, don't bother putting a gate, just leave it and let Darwin's theory do the rest...
fordboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A couple more speed camera's will educate people, driving skills.. Not..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed 100%....and don't get me started on driver training.....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see it almost daily on the Monash between pound rd and princess Hwy, why people dont just get off at either of those roads and then get back on is beyond me - sometimes you look at the amount of traffic (moving at around 100k's) and wonder what hope do they have at completing a U turn without causing a disruption to traffic.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #22
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout

More astonishing thing appears to me is that we live in a society who allows these people the privilege of being licensed to drive. How did we ever...?
[sarcasm]Oh but you've got it all wrong it's not a privilege to drive it's my right to drive! [/sarcasm]
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And winner of the Coral Coast moron of the weekend:

Driving back from Bundaberg I caught up to an idiot in a Pajero who was at the rear of a line of cars.
The road from Bundy to Childers is extremely undulating and very dangerous as the little drop aways can hide oncoming cars, trucks and cane train crossings. It is a dangerous section of road with many fatalities.
The moron is in a hurry, he is tailgating closely and constantly hitting his brakes trying, I suspect to bully the cars in front to go faster.
I am sitting back maybe 100m watching and waiting.

He pulls out a couple of time only to have an oncoming vehicle force him back until in a moment of supreme stupidity he pulls out on double lines and overtakes 5 cars ACCROSS a rail crossing and over a rise.
I dropped back a bit further just in case.
Shortly after the road goes to 3 lanes and I overtake the 5 cars and bubble along until I catch up to (guess who) who is behind another line of cars.
He repeats the same insanity around a semi-blind corner over double lines.

Where is the Highway patrol when you need it
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont worry, im sure she would have lost her license (since if you screw up on your p's once now you lose it for 3 months - or is that only speeding? im pretty sure its anything though)

edit: If it was Red P's.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd love to see them extended it to highway exits. A number of times I've almost cleaned up someone who's passed their exit and attempting to reverse back on the breakdown lane and have either wiggled out into the left lane of traffic or expect people to stop at the exit while the reverse into and onto it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide has the solution to this problem... one way freeways
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #27
G.T.
FPV BF2 GT

Quote:
And winner of the Coral Coast moron of the weekend:

Driving back from Bundaberg I caught up to an idiot in a Pajero who was at the rear of a line of cars.
The road from Bundy to Childers is extremely undulating and very dangerous as the little drop aways can hide oncoming cars, trucks and cane train crossings. It is a dangerous section of road with many fatalities.
The moron is in a hurry, he is tailgating closely and constantly hitting his brakes trying, I suspect to bully the cars in front to go faster.
I am sitting back maybe 100m watching and waiting.

He pulls out a couple of time only to have an oncoming vehicle force him back until in a moment of supreme stupidity he pulls out on double lines and overtakes 5 cars ACCROSS a rail crossing and over a rise.
I dropped back a bit further just in case.
Shortly after the road goes to 3 lanes and I overtake the 5 cars and bubble along until I catch up to (guess who) who is behind another line of cars.
He repeats the same insanity around a semi-blind corner over double lines.

Where is the Highway patrol when you need it
That makes sense considering what pajero is Spanish for.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post