Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #31
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=JG66ME]Them "Dragsters" where just a cheap imitation of the real dream 1970s bike, the Raleigh Chopper. I had a purple Mk2.

I think your right.
I remember that everyone at school had a dragster and only one guy had a CHOPPER. He was the considered the 'FONZ' of the school because of that.

(for the younger ones on this forum Happy days was a show about the 50's and the FONZ was 'COOL')
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #32
Spudz27
Call me Spud

[QUOTE=jphanna]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
(for the younger ones on this forum Happy days was a show about the 50's and the FONZ was 'COOL')
aaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I am only 25 but I collect the seasons of Happy Days. One of my favourite T.V shows.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #33
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

[QUOTE=jphanna]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Them "Dragsters" where just a cheap imitation of the real dream 1970s bike, the Raleigh Chopper. I had a purple Mk2.

I think your right.
I remember that everyone at school had a dragster and only one guy had a CHOPPER. He was the considered the 'FONZ' of the school because of that.

Only trouble is you could ride a dragster more than a few km's. The Chopper MK1 used to flip backwards way to easy.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #34
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
wouldnt mind me lungs ,legs and looks back. taking hot chicks to the cinemas ,now my wife wont let me !!!
LOL yeah its a nice thought for all of us older people.
buying milk choc cherry ripes, penny bungers (big fire crackers) and blowing PMG manhole covers 2 feet into the air with said bungers, knocking off dads 1"water pipe with the threaded end and capping ,it then putting a penny bunger in pipe and a stone or marble and firing it at corrugated shed blowing holes through shed,not colourbond either, the real steel curragated iron 1.2mm thick..
going shooting with mates ,just pull up at farms and being told "go for your life just dont shoot towards house ,dont scare the cattle and SHUT THE BLOODY GATES AFTER YOU,lol

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 21-02-2009 at 10:31 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #35
ogtrip
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Nintendo 64
Ah memories. Goldeneye!
And Mario Kart! And even Hangtime!
Old 21-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafel
my bmx, orange stakhats, spokey-dokes, slades, pop rocks, sunniboyz, nick-knocking, 40-40, having a bed time and the value of staying up past it, super-pov 'jewels' supermarkets, playing junior footy
I think you can still buy Sunnyboys, my sisters boyfriend made a comment about buying them on Facebook

Those little triangle things yes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #37
outside
off in outer space

being able to let my kids do the things that i did when i was young, that being able to ride the streets without the fear of someone doing something to them etc, and not have to worry when they arent home right on time.
outside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #38
dave289
Banned

I also had the 3 speed floor shift .found it on a chuckout and took it home when I was about ten. my dad helped me fix it up. we painted it lime green and black, it looked very cool, well I thought it did. I rode it for about 2 years before upgrading to my diamondback bmx. when I was still in primary school in the early 80,s my mate had one of those suspension bikes ,it was yellow and black and looked pretty cool the first time I saw it.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #39
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Streets Triple Treats....mmmmm....

Being able to cruise on my dragster without a helmet, not safe, but so much nicer an experience. Dont miss playing cards in the spokes but it did sound better than the XR6T.

Air rifles down the beach shooting at tin cans.

My bro's new G-Pak Torana with Abba playing 'Tiger' on AM....it wasnt even uncool to listen to.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #40
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish I was still in the '70's. Best time of my life.

Quote:
being able to let my kids do the things that i did when i was young, that being able to ride the streets without the fear of someone doing something to them etc, and not have to worry when they arent home right on time.
Ditto on that. Too bad for the kids of today, they'll never know how good it could have been.

Weren't Dragstars only for the rich kids? I had a red Brumby which either came out before the Dragstar or it was the poor mans Dragstar. So I thought at the time. A bit like ugg boots but only the lucky could afford lace-up knee highs.

Other things I miss are:
Sleeping on the front lawn all night with a tv and watching movie marathons.
Hiding in the tall grass along the back fence of the drive-in and watching R-rated movies :
My Batman and James Bond 'Hot Wheels' cars. Shot real plastic bullets!
Fire crackers from the local shop.
Hiding my cigs overnight at the local park.
Flared jeans that used to get caught up in the bike chain.
Real aussie football - with true characters of the game
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #41
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIPPLE SOLE SHOES.

got my first pair at 10years old, because our dragsters had no brakes, we used the ripples soles to wedge between the back tyre and the frame.

maybe this was an 'adelaide' thing...
FG XR6 (son)
Old 21-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #42
outside
off in outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
RIPPLE SOLE SHOES.

got my first pair at 10years old, because our dragsters had no brakes, we used the ripples soles to wedge between the back tyre and the frame.

maybe this was an 'adelaide' thing...
youre not alone there :
outside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #43
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright, I've finished 'pining' for a dragster for a while now, but now for a new build. Sturmey Archer 3 speed (the Rolls Royce of dragster T-Bars), retrotech. Gonna recess the shifter down and tank it in, do an Indian style full rear fender and then rat finish with bare metal and clear coat over real rust, not pattina.

As for the Raleigh choppers, they were cool in the day, but these things can be tricked over wayyyyyyy cooler

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #44
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've only ever seen 1 "Dragster" bike in my life and it was a kid at my school who made one in Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #45
muppet

Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle, best toy ever (in 1975 that is lol). I still remember how excited I was christmas day when I opened mine.
Another great toy I had(I cant remember what they were called) was two cars with pannels that would fly off when you ran them into each other. They were one of those toys with a rip cord, you pulled it out as fast as you could and then put the car on the ground and off it whent. I remember they didnt last long as the whole point of them was to smash them into things as hard as you could.
I allso loved the old space lego but only ever had 2 of the small kits. I allways wanted the big space ships they had. About 2 years ago I bought a big bag of mixed space lego for my son off e bay for $150. I have been able to make all 3 of the orignal space ships with the stuff i got. So my son now plays with all 3 and they are worth about $400 but I dont care about that I just love to see him play with something I loved when I was his age.
Old 22-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #46
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle, best toy ever (in 1975 that is lol). I still remember how excited I was christmas day when I opened mine.
Another great toy I had(I cant remember what they were called) was two cars with pannels that would fly off when you ran them into each other. They were one of those toys with a rip cord, you pulled it out as fast as you could and then put the car on the ground and off it whent. I remember they didnt last long as the whole point of them was to smash them into things as hard as you could.
I allso loved the old space lego but only ever had 2 of the small kits. I allways wanted the big space ships they had. About 2 years ago I bought a big bag of mixed space lego for my son off e bay for $150. I have been able to make all 3 of the orignal space ships with the stuff i got. So my son now plays with all 3 and they are worth about $400 but I dont care about that I just love to see him play with something I loved when I was his age.
A "Smash up Derby" set. I had one of those as well. They came in "Ultra Chrome" I loved thos things..one was a VW Beetle and the other a American Pick-up!! Mine didnt last long either.
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #47
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP

Alright, I've finished 'pining' for a dragster for a while now, but now for a new build. Sturmey Archer 3 speed (the Rolls Royce of dragster T-Bars), retrotech. Gonna recess the shifter down and tank it in, do an Indian style full rear fender and then rat finish with bare metal and clear coat over real rust, not pattina.

As for the Raleigh choppers, they were cool in the day, but these things can be tricked over wayyyyyyy cooler

MEMORIES...LOVE IT MATE
FG XR6 (son)
Old 22-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #48
IDT
Marko

"COTTER PINS" (spelling?? Crank/pedal arm locking pin thingies). When I think of dragsters I also think of bleeding ankles from the things. I don't think you can say you were there unless you felt that pain.

Which brings me to my other memory, when you hurt yourself instead of swearing you would make funny noises or even say ouch!
Old 22-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #49
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD-Bluey
A "Smash up Derby" set. I had one of those as well. They came in "Ultra Chrome" I loved thos things..one was a VW Beetle and the other a American Pick-up!! Mine didnt last long either.
I loved the smash up derby and evel knevel stunt bike as well back then I had those and remember thinking that the village people were cool and they must get heaps of girls some things are best left behind
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #50
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I really miss my old green machine..as kids we were drifting long before it was even a word..

nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #51
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I really miss my old green machine..as kids we were drifting long before it was even a word..
Yep, these Big Wheels and Green Machines were drift factor 9 stuff.
And you wonder why we like to drift now, ahahaha.
We were taught at a very young age.
So does that mean we can sue these toy companies, for teaching us to be "hoons"? LOL!

And that T Bar on the dragster, omg. So many memories of mates that had this style of bike and it "had" to have the T Bar.
That bike should be restored.

Keep this thread going.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #52
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Spanrz]

And that T Bar on the dragster, omg. So many memories of mates that had this style of bike and it "had" to have the T Bar.
That bike should be restored.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, it "should" be restored, I have a handful of these bikes, a couple with original stickers (one metallic purple, and one yellow), the paint on these is good, and would come out nicely with a touch up. These would be good bikes for a resto. I think I've got a Shimano GT7 T-Bar, and another Sturmey Archer 3 spd setup, so somewhere down the track I'll do a period-correct resto, with dynamo lighting, big sissy bar, air horns, mirrors, speedo etc. But for now, I'm keen to do a ratty retro 3spd lowrider, since there's still a few original bikes getting around, and plenty of lowriders, I'm thinking custom ol' skool with a few lowrider touches.

[QUOTE=WAForce8]"COTTER PINS" (spelling?? Crank/pedal arm locking pin thingies). When I think of dragsters I also think of bleeding ankles from the things. I don't think you can say you were there unless you felt that pain.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not a fan of cotter pin cranks, I usually cut the whole bottom bracket out, and weld in a BMX assembly, converting to 1pc cranks, which are easier to buy pedals/drive sprockets and custom gear for. Also no hassles with slippage and bleeding ankles
Old 23-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #53
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I'm not a fan of cotter pin cranks, I usually cut the whole bottom bracket out, and weld in a BMX assembly, converting to 1pc cranks, which are easier to buy pedals/drive sprockets and custom gear for. Also no hassles with slippage and bleeding ankles[/QUOTE]

the only bleeding ankles i got was from feral dogs. was it the cotter pins that gave bleeding ankles or something else i lost in the translation.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 23-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #54
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

The toy I never got but always dreamed of in the sixties, the politically incorrect "Johny Seven One Man Army".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Seven_OMA

Kinda looked like a GPMG M60 only better.

War was always my favorite game as a young un. Airfix made a lovely Tommy Gun that fired plastic bullets from its removable magazine. They also made a nice L1A1 SLR, also with a removable magazine AND a bayonet.

Cannot give little Johny a toy gun today, he may get the wrong idea and want to join the army
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #55
MrEL
Sick Puppy

When I was a kid the ice cream to have was the DOUBLE CHOC. Wish I could get one today. I would tell the Diabetes to go and get rooted and woof down on that lovely overly rich , sickening ice cream. YUM.

On the BMX you were a sook if you didnt have a set of Bear Trap pedals. They did lovely things to your shins , calves and ankles if your foot sliped off while peddling.
We had one guy at school who had a red set of tuffs on his bike. Man he was cool. I felt like a king the few times he let me ride his bike.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #56
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now there's a flashback. My Haro rocked Odyssey triple traps and black Skyway II tuffs, all the way up until '96 (there were much stronger alloy rims and user-friendly platform pedals available at the time). These were things I had pined for for a long time as a kid in the 80's, so once BMX made a resurgence and I could afford them, my Haro underwent somewhat of a "devolution"....
Old 24-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #57
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bunch of old farts we have become.
Oh how I wish I could get that purple dagster back again.
An remember those days when ya went into the butcher with
ya mum and he gave ya a cherrio. When was the last time ya went
to a butcher with your kid and he gave them a cherrio??
I guess these are just some of thing of the past that will
never be seen again.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #58
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Bunch of old farts we have become.
Oh how I wish I could get that purple dagster back again.
An remember those days when ya went into the butcher with
ya mum and he gave ya a cherrio. When was the last time ya went
to a butcher with your kid and he gave them a cherrio??
I guess these are just some of thing of the past that will
never be seen again.
They still give cherrios at woolworths deli to kids in Townsville
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #59
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Lego. before it was all branded. And matchbox cars... I regret throwing all my childhood stuff out a couple of years ago..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #60
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Mobilo!!!! How good was that stuff!
I was actually shocked to see my 6yo nephew come home from school the other day with some of the timber blocks the exact same as I used to play with in Kindy all those years ago.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post