Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #241
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
I could say that you're biased to XR8's :evil_laug

Another pet hate is Landcruisers with sagged rear ends or heavy loads at the back, which makes the front end point up causing headlights to look like high beams, which blind oncoming traffic, which flashes the cruiser & then get blinded even more by the cruiser turning their high-beams on.

Have you physically checked that the globes are standard?

People don't flash their lights at other vehicles for no reason (mostly).
Ahhhhh I'm afraid so my other car is a 93 Magna and I get flashed all the time from drop kicks who think I am on hi beam, my low beam is that crap I need candles out the front to tell me if the lights are on.

even when they see me drop the hi beam they flash me.
Old 25-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #242
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1FORME
Ahhhhh I'm afraid so my other car is a 93 Magna and I get flashed all the time from drop kicks who think I am on hi beam, my low beam is that crap I need candles out the front to tell me if the lights are on.

even when they see me drop the hi beam they flash me.
I suggest that you the get angle of your headlights adjusted, they're obviously aimed to high.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #243
bscampbell

These may have been mentioned before...but...

People who, as you are overtaking, speed up (usually on dual lanes) because they look at their speedo and realise they aren't driving at the speed limit, but either fly past you, or worse still, match your speed so you can't pull in!

What's everyones take on this: When overtaking someone (on dual lanes and driving at speed limit), you have some fool race up behind you with their front end so far up your...they see it as your fault for not breaking the speed limit...usually happens if you are overtaking someone doing only 1km/h less than you. You know the sort, overtaking someone and it seems to take ages!

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #244
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Young 'un. Agreed.

bscampbell wrote:
"usually happens if you are overtaking someone doing only 1km/h less than you. You know the sort, overtaking someone and it seems to take ages.

In which case, if the speed differential is so little, why not sit back? If that's annoying for some reason, 'overtake' faster.

Eitherway, provided faster traffic is not closing in.

NB - You are permitted to give a quick flash of the high beam to alert lead vehicle/s your intention to overtake them. Best used for highway or freeway driving and used in conjunction with the indicators as usual.

NB2: NSW RTA'S new driver manual, 2005 edition, $10 (I suggest the purchase), or downloadable in Pdf - 2.48mb.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...englishweb.pdf
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #245
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
NB - You are permitted to give a quick flash of the high beam to alert lead vehicle/s your intention to overtake them. Best used for highway or freeway driving and used in conjunction with the indicators as usual.
I always do this and it works most of the time, but there are the few idiots that get weird and start slamming on their brakes.

This happened to me a few years back, late at night on an empty highway at 110km/h, I was approaching a vehicle in the right hand lane doing about 100, I did the casual quick flash of the high beams & the driver went stupid, kept slamming his brakes on and slowing down to 70km/h to annoy me, I had no choice but to overtake on the left side, or risk a murder case.
:evil_laug Funny thing, he was driving a Saab and I was driving a Volvo :Up_to_som (it was Turbo intercooled though).
Old 26-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #246
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My fiance and I went for a skiing trip to Falls Creek Victoria last week. We decided to take her Corolla which is easy on the fuel but pretty gutless when it comes to overtaking (loaded up with ski gear). Anyway it is about a 7 hour drive down the freeway (110km/h).

So there is no traffic as it is midweek and I am just crusing on about 120km/h in the left lane and rapidly approaching a stock late model Pulsar sedan (with green P's I might add and some sort of business writing on it) that was sitting in the right lane (there was no-one else around).

Thats strange I thought, why isnt he in the left lane?, anyway as we begin to pass him (in the left lane) he speeds up and starts pacing us at 120km/h. Hmm, speed up a little, sure enough so does he. Ok - Iv'e seen plenty of speed camera's so I drop back to 120km/h and just crusie in the left hand lane with him still in the right lane amount 30cm ahead of me. This goes on for 15 minutes when an SS commodore comes flying up in the rightlane and highbeams the Pulsar - he dosn't move, so I slow down to create a gap and the SS overtakes on the left of him, as the SS goes past this weirdo speeds up and they both dissapear down the road doing about 140km/h.

Ok so now the road is clear again, I'm crusing in the left doing 120km/h and after 30 minutes I come across the same Pulsar doing about 90km/h still sitting in the right hand lane, as I approach to go past, sure enough he picks up speed and matches my 120km/h so I cant get past. Iv'e had enough by this stage so I drop back a gear and accelerate to 140ish to go past, look across and sure enough he is matching my speed. I try to get in front as there is a slow car coming up but he won't let me and continues to sit there, so I drop back to 120 pull in behind him and sure enough he slow does to 90km/h again and won't budge to let me (or anyone else - there is now a line of traffic behind him) past.

Frustrated and fuming - I was seriously going to "Pitt maneouver" him off the highway (the corolla already has a few dings so why not i thought) but my fiance was screaming at me to clam down so I pulled over into Macca's at Gundegai and calmed down.

Why we were there we saw a couple of Highway patrol so I told them all about said P plater (including his number plates) and they went off down the highway - don't know what the outcome was.

Sorry for the long post.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 10:16 AM   #247
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes you wonder how some people got their licence. Did you get the number of his business?

Hopefully the police caught up with him and ave him a persuasive talking to.
Old 26-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #248
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no i didnt get the business number (or even remember what the business was), i really wish i had now. hopefully the highway patrol caught up with him.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 26-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #249
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I really hope he got what he deserved from the Highway Patrol, good to hear them booking bad drivers, instead of people going 4Km/h over the limit.

I think the signs on highways/freeways etc that say 'Keep Left Unless Overtaking' need to be re-written to include 'This is an Offence and Attracts a $XXX Fine' as i'm sure a lot people think its legal to sit in the right lane if you're doing the speed limit.....

Quote:
What's everyones take on this: When overtaking someone (on dual lanes and driving at speed limit), you have some fool race up behind you with their front end so far up your...they see it as your fault for not breaking the speed limit...usually happens if you are overtaking someone doing only 1km/h less than you. You know the sort, overtaking someone and it seems to take ages!
I agree with what keepleft said on this one. If you're doing 1km/h more, why bother overtaking? Are you in that much of a hurry that you have to get from Sydney to Melbourne 9 minutes quicker? The other problem with what you have said, is you assumed you are doing the speed limit. Has your speedo been professionally calibrated in the last month? You might be the one going too slow......

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Last edited by Aaron_EF8; 26-07-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #250
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a good idea - he was also breaching another law in that you are not allowed to accelerate when being overtaken which is what really pi$$ed me off. Sitting in the right lane annoys me but accelerating (in this case excessivley) when someone is overtaking you is far worse IMO.

Old 26-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #251
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This keeping left law is hard to police. One reason or situation is a situation I ended up in yesterday driving a 4 tonne Ford transit van. It's roughly about 50% of the size of a full size bus. I moved into the righthhand lane to overtake a slow moving truck but impatient pricks were over taking the truck and passing me on the left. Not allowing me to move back into the left lane. I was considering side swipping one. Only one woman (yes a woman) was smart enough to stay behind me as she knew when it was safe I'd move over. Every car that was impatient was driven by a male. Some people need to calm down. It's not a RACE!

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #252
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate people who deliberately drive dangerously, not only do they put themselves at risk, they put others at risk.

I just came back from holidays, I was just South of Goondiwindi going around a right hand bend, got about 90% around when this young woman in a small Asian carwas on my side of the road overtaking a number of trucks and cars, I had to take all sorts of evasive action to avoid her ( which I managed to do), all she could was raise her hand and mouth 'sorry'!
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #253
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
This keeping left law is hard to police. One reason or situation is a situation I ended up in yesterday driving a 4 tonne Ford transit van. It's roughly about 50% of the size of a full size bus. I moved into the righthhand lane to overtake a slow moving truck but impatient pricks were over taking the truck and passing me on the left. Not allowing me to move back into the left lane. I was considering side swipping one. Only one woman (yes a woman) was smart enough to stay behind me as she knew when it was safe I'd move over. Every car that was impatient was driven by a male. Some people need to calm down. It's not a RACE!

I can understand your frustration, to help combat that, overtake the German way next time on such roads vis;

A). When your clear at the rear - indicate right>>>>>, only then move out whilst keeping the right indicator on, and do so 'smoothly'.

B). KEEP THE RIGHT INDICATOR ON, IF it is a two-lane secton whilst alongside the slower vehicle or traffic>>>>> (By this stage, most Aussies have no indicator on).

C). When your tail is equal to the adjacent lane vehicles front, switch to the left indicator<<<<<< and keep it continually-on, as you then continue to pass that vehicle for a safe return gap, keep the left indicator on until your fully in the left lane again.

Don't be afraid to use that indicator 'continually'. I'll guarantee a much safer left lane return.

This effectively makes it 'very clear to immediate following traffic' of your intention, and thereby in that action- ALSO alerts much faster rear-closing traffic, even further back, who will then typically 'coast to reduce speed' rather than speed up to your tail, or those of the cars etc immediately behind you.

Full indication is beneficial for both forward and rear-approaching traffic. We use to drive that way in NSW under speed derestriction (///) up to July 1978, you might recall.

The Hon Jim Loyd, the Commonwealth Minister for Roads was most impressed with German lane discipline, where he highlighted last December the 15th, in Canberra, of his experience when on a 3-lane stretch of autobahn. He noted, the truckies and traffic 'kept left' (right in Germany), and did not venture out into the middle lane, the truckies despite being in a 'line'. He further noted, traffic 'at speed' used the left lane (rem-right in G) and when approaching slower traffic or trucks, would simply merge into the middle when on 3-lane sections. 'Flash to pass' was often issued a kilometre back by vehicles going much faster than the routine 130 - 160km/h crowd, complimented by full use of the indicators. Here, such vehicles are on your tail in seconds. An everyday driving reality in much of EU and the Middle East.

The Minister made it clear that he wants that form of lane discipline in Australia, but expects; 'it will take some time, perhaps a generation for behaviour to change'.

Such high-speed drivers are more conditioned to make allowances for driver error than those from relatively low speed limit freeway category regions like Australia, such as ourselves.

Regardless, we impart this 3-lane discipline in the NSW Road Users Handbook, and have done so for some years now, we remain the only Australian jurisdiction to adequately impart the proper use of freeway lanes. (see RTA link from my earlier post 'Driving on a Motorway/Freeway).

The new penalty for not keeping left (multi-lane) is now $225 plus 3 demerit points in NSW.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 26-07-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 26-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #254
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my indicator on but it proved fruitless due to idiots. I was doing the speed limit too. Why they needed to overtake me @ 110kph in a 100kph zone is beyond me.

By the time I was safe to move back there were care flying past me on the lefthand side.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #255
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Brenx; How do you know they were going to overtake you at 110km/h? In any case, the overtaking speed generally is not your concern, one cannot or should not make automatic assumption of other traffic, its potentially dangerous to assume.

If it is a speed above the applied limit, then it becomes a police matter at law, not something for which one is to be righteouss.

IF you had the indicators on fully as given, particulaly the left, then I'd dead reckon you'd have been okay. I know you say you 'had the indicator on', I mean for the complete manouvre as stated.

I accept and have seen fools under cut slower traffic, but at the same time the bloke being overtaken only has indicated left once past the slower traffic for some distance, a car vehicle length or few.

By then the folk have decided, falsely, that the driver intends on keeping right, and could not when alongside that vehicle see its left side indicator repeater lamps (truck and trailer combination).

It's not something I see everyday I can tell you, 99% of folk seem to get it right (overtaking adequately) say on the F3 in NSW.

Issues of speed and lane discipline are another matter. It's not my business if one goes faster than the freeway limit, that is a police and speed camera's job, what matters to me is the 'manner at which one does so.

One driver at speed can be tidy and neat, yet another, perhaps inexperienced, can be 'quite untidy and jerky'.
Old 26-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #256
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate it when there is a turning lane and people dont pull into it completely, thus slowing the traffic behind and therefore the lane was pointless
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #257
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and people who brake then indicate.....i may be wrong but i thought when i learnt to drive that you were supposed to do it the other way round .???????
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #258
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Reading this thread has filled me with so much anger about other drivers on roads, recently returning from a Goulburn I had a run in with two in incidents; one good and one bad.

Just past Oberon heading towards the Blue Mountains a kindly truckie actually slowed down and moved off the road to let me through on the uphill windy round. I hope he saw my wave of thanks only to remember afterwards about the one flash of the hazards I could have given him.

That was the good, the bad was a old Nissan being driven by some golden oldies enjoying a Sunday drive of 80 in a hundred zone just out of Goulburn. I go to speed up to overtake ma and pa kettle only to be denied a easy overtaking pass.
They sped up to 100 and forced ME to stay on the wrong side of the road longer, I should of slowed down and slotted behind them in retrospect to avoid a deadly head on, but they had my blood boiling. (The lines were still broken and the road straight all the way this episode was unfolding.)

Get in front only to glance behind to the sight of their highbeams switched on proudly. What *****, I feel more of an **** for partaking in their game, but why do some play these deadly games? Reminds me of someone telling me whilst on their P's they used to race ahead of trucks and slow down when forming one lane, they got off on ****ing off truckies!

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #259
luke

Shift light tachometer in an auto!! Hello!?? Especially if there is a tach on the dash already...
:togo:
Colored park/ number plate lights...
Those 13"/14" mags with a colored circle thing in the middle...
CD swinging from the rear view mirror...
Morons driving with bald tires...
Those generic car name stickers that say racing, such as "Commodore racing" or "Hyundai racing" across the windscreen...
Fake bonnet scoops...
Fog lights being used in clear conditions...
Rear fog lights...
These stupid new LED traffic lights in use in adelaide... I've already seen a few not working / or with some LED's out
People braking *then indicating...
Those who feel as though they are too good / too rich to indicate...
People braking around corners / through roundabouts...
:

ive got plenty more but im too tired lol

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #260
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

People who abuse you and scream "hoon" when you overtake them, despite the fact that they are doing 20 under the speed limit.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post