Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
cawdor
Starter Motor

Default Checking for previous rego

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question, I had a look around and this is the closest match I hope.
Anyway, I bought an 07 LT Focus Zetec and was told by the dealer it's an ex-demo. It has about 17000km on the clock (which I think is a bit much for a demo??) and I was wondering if there's a way to find out if the car has been previously registered with a private owner?

The reason I need to know is for insurance - basically if it's an ex-demo it can be insured as a new car with 4 year replacement warranty. If it has been registered privately before, then it's classed as used and I can't get the better premium/replacement.

I asked the dealer for a written statement that says it's an ex-demo - but I received the papers today and no statement was included. On the contract it says under type "USED LT Focus Zetec Hatch". So did the sales guy lie to my face?

Otherwise I'm happy with the car, there's a rattle which sounds like a cable banging against metal on the right hand side, but hopefully that'll get fixed under new car warranty.

Thanks in advance for any input!

cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
focusrally888

i got a demo! on the paper work there was 3 boxes new, demo, used and he ticketd the demo box and the log book had a big sticker in it about the purchase etc thats the golden document for you this had the day the car left the yard and who bought it on it and Im its for ford warranty so i dont think they can lie about new car warranty??
focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
819_FLY

Id be asking questions with that one, If you cant get anywhere with him ask to talk to his manager and maybe there might be some light shed. 17thousand for a demo does sound high, I would expect up to 10 as the most so if they sold it at a demo price then yeh I would be pursuing further with the matter. If they dont help, ring up ford head office and talk to someone there about the matter, if not then Department of Fair Trading or something similar.

Go Get Em Tiger!!!!

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
cawdor
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, I will definitely try and find out. It doesn't really matter to me personally, it just matters for my insurance. Considering the Zetec sells for around 28k new, I paid 22k drive away for it I think I got a good price even if it's used.

So there's no way to check myself to see if it was registered before? I have to rely on Ford to tell me?
cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
819_FLY

Perhaps checking with the Department of Transport in your state and see if they can help, using your VIN numbers they should have a record.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post