Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
chmaiden
Starter Motor

Default Gripe about Focus audio

Hi guys - just need to vent and wondered if anyone else felt the same. Bought a Focus LT - reasonably happy with it (apart from the late delivery and being lied to by the dealer) BUT 2 issues with the audio...

1) why do they but the aux jack as far away form the driver as possible (the glove box) as possible? What is that all about?!?!?!

2) more importantly, and something that I am having contiual arguments over with Ford (lack of) Customer Service - I was told that the stereo was "MP3 compatible". This is quite clearly NOT the case. The stereo has an aux jack which makes it "MP3 Player" compatible. It also makes it anything that you can plug into an aux jack ....laptop, tape recorder, record player etc compatible, but you dont hear the salesmen say that its LP compatible do you?! I wrote this on my feedback form and have since had 3 arguments with Maria in Customer Service who tells me that its a difference in definition - ITS NOT!!! It can either be compatible or not - if I place a cd with MP3s burnt onto it (like i can in my honda) it will not play - therefore it is NOT COMPATIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MArias response to this was as follows:

"theres nothing that I can do about your car being delivered late and if you still dont agree wioth me about the stereo then you'll have to take it up with one of the consumer bodies but I cant help you otherwise" to which my response was - "well why have you called me up and wasted my time 3 times for half an hour each time then?"

I'm pretty disappointed and it has put a dampner on what I think is quite a good car....

what are your thoughts?

chmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
DragonMesh

when im driving i like to drive not try to plug in an mp3 player, i do that before hand when its not an issue. i like it where it is, it means i can plug it in and leave it in the glove box.

as for the compatibility issue i know the standard focus was advertised with "Audio input facility for iPodŽ/MP3/CD or tape player" (which was stated by the website, the brochure and "my" dealer) i cant speak for every dealer tho

I guess my advice is do ya homework on a car before you buy it... dont take it personally just thats what i done and i've not had one issue with mine.

-Luke
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Yeah, bit of semantics there. They should revise their sales pitch and change it to, as you say, MP3 Player compatible. Or if they really want to clear it up, say something like Auxiliary input available, although a lot of people mightn't know what that means.

My suggestion, get an aftermarket head unit. Most of them DO play MP3 CDs, as well as sounding and looking better, with the option to upgrade to better stereo equipment too. The benefits are there, the only downside I can see is that it may not look stock, which some people like about their cars. Personal opinion obviously, and take it with a grain of salt

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I hate the position of the AUX jack, my gripe isnt the location as such but the fact that there is no power supply with the jack so the Ipod goes flat all the time, at least in my BA ute with the Aux kit it's by the power, so i can charge and play all at once.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
warren77

The Mondeo has it in the same spot (not surprisingly). It is annoying that there is no power supply in the glove box as well. There is a blank cut out with the words "AUX" next to it but it isn't connected. Have been meaning to do that just haven't had time!
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate the same thing abut my LS. I've already bent 1 cable in the glove box. If only it was at a more reasonable location, it wouldn't be too bad. And I agree with the Compatible statement. It should say it's Compatible with the player. Otherwise it sounds like you can stick a CD into the stereo.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I saw that next to the jack there was a blnak round, I have ordered a new ciggie lighter from Ebay and I've got a mate whos a sparky who's going to wire it in, but whats bothering me now is that if we put it in will there be adequate clearance for the plug and cable with the door shut
Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
chmaiden
Starter Motor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonMesh
when im driving i like to drive not try to plug in an mp3 player, i do that before hand when its not an issue. i like it where it is, it means i can plug it in and leave it in the glove box.

as for the compatibility issue i know the standard focus was advertised with "Audio input facility for iPodŽ/MP3/CD or tape player" (which was stated by the website, the brochure and "my" dealer) i cant speak for every dealer tho

I guess my advice is do ya homework on a car before you buy it... dont take it personally just thats what i done and i've not had one issue with mine.

-Luke
Fair shout Luke, but how do you change the track etc without leaning over and digging about in your glove box?!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

i ran a 3.5m audio cable from the glove box in through the dash and then made it come through the centre cup holder. bit of work but im happy with the result....would have been alot easier if it was were they put it in the XR4.....
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Before I got my aftermarket unit, I just drilled a hole in the glovebox, drilled a hole in the rubber matting and dash next to the accessory power outlet, then ran the auxiliary cable to the centre console. Made life a bit easier. But I do love being able to charge my iPod and control it using the head unit :P :

Old 10-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyTDCi
i ran a 3.5m audio cable from the glove box in through the dash and then made it come through the centre cup holder. bit of work but im happy with the result....would have been alot easier if it was were they put it in the XR4.....
Damn it! Beat me by a minute!!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FM-Transmitte...1%7C240%3A1318

Ive got something similar to this and it sits in the centre.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyTDCi
Sounds like the best solution, just have it hanging down from the top of the storage compartment under the CD player. Right next to the cigarette lighter if you need power...but yeah, if you want true compatibility, a decent aftermarket headunit is the best way to go, and they look quite decent with one of those JB bezels.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
819_FLY

I ran an auxillary cable from the jack in the glovebox and over the tang for the lock and up through the hole where the lights shines from in the top right corner. then ran it freely down the side of the center console and got a hold of it from behind accessing from the passenger footwell and ran it up and through behind the silver plastic trim (careful not to stress it too much just enough to pop the terminal out and pull the cable through to desired length) next I bought some adhesive velcro one side on the black tabs on the switch cluster at the base (rear demister ie...) and the other half of the velcro onto my mp3 player (Philips Go-Gear 4GB) then got a USB charger (Philips) and simply fitted it to the power outlet.... then simply cable tied the spare length of the aux cable and hid it behind the console shroudng.... out of sight and out of mind.... looks really neat and people are amused at how I fitted it without even cutting a hole in anything.

The only drama is running the mp3 player while driving and having it charging it feeds interference through the speakers which is a shame so I disconnect the charger when I want to play music from the mp3 player...

Also are people aware the Power Source is constant, even with the keys out of the ignition and the car locked (immobiliser activated) it still charges your Mp3 player, I found this disturbing as it over charged my Mp3 Player and it stopped working for a day or two.... could be something that Ford overlooked because it would definitely lead to a flat battery if you were charging say a portable fridge from that source or even worse if there was an electrical problem..... just something I observed in my travels..

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Yeah it sucks that it's constant power. Been paranoid a few times of the battery going flat on me, so I just make sure that nothing is ever connected to it while the car is off. Better safe than sorry!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #16
DragonMesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaiden
Fair shout Luke, but how do you change the track etc without leaning over and digging about in your glove box?!
if its not on shuffle or a playlist and i know i wanna change the track i just have it in the phone mould next to the handbreak. I see everyones point and half the time my phone or ipod is sitting on the passenger seat anyway im just saying the + side to having it in the glovebox
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #17
BlackLS
yum

Long used to it. The cable is permanatly plugged in so I've forgotten the glovebox.

Gripe about mp3 compatibility is with the dealer, but MP3 CDs compatible are so Napster-era. Having said that the Getz I've been driving in Adelaide the past 2 days has MP3/WMA CD compatability.

Although it would be sweet if the Focus came with a iPod dock, even though I don't have an iPod.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #18
scooby

aaaahhh.....Maria from Customer Service
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #19
chmaiden
Starter Motor

I foound her quite rude and aggressive - very very unhelpful
Old 16-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
scooby

same here
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #21
BrisVegas
Noobie

I've not tried the AUX input in the glove box, but I burnt some mp3's to a CD yesterday and played them back through the stock head unit no probs at all. I just used Windows Media Player to burn it, so I don't know what particular settings it used.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
BlackLS
yum

Media player would have converted the MP3 audio to Raw audio before burning it as a normal Audio CD. Audio CD will hold around 20 tracks, were as a MP3 CD will hold about 100-150 files.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #23
BrisVegas
Noobie

ahh, that explains it! thanks mate. Must admit I was wondering why it didn't fit that many tracks on the CD.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post