Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default boot leak

Anyone else got the problem of water getting trapped in behind the boot lid carpet? I experienced this for the first time today, and was quite shocked at the amount of water that came gushing in through the boot latch(seems to sit in between the two layers of sheet metal which make up your boot lid). anyone know of a easy fix for this problem? was thinking of drilling 2 small holes either side of the latch so it naturally runs out whilst the boot is closed. I would prefer not having to drill holes if able to do other ways??

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have a spoiler? I know this can be a cause of leaking boots, improper or poor seal around the spoiler bolt holes. If not, where is it getting in?
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

yep got the series 2 fairmont low spoiler. it seems like it is getting up between the carpet and the bootlid (rear window edge of boot lid) how?- i dont know, was thinking maybe forced up whilst traveling. (is a bit hard to explain)
Old 04-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8&page=2&pp=25

just found this thread from B series, might give their ideas a try.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I have the same problem. Havent tracked down the leak yet. The water is actually sitting inside the bottom of the boot lid as you said. When you tip it up to open it, it runs out and sits in your boot lid carpet & runs everywhere. I have drilled some small holes in the bottom of the boot lid on the outside of where it sits on the boot rubber seal so that it can drain away whenever any gets in there. I will one day track it down, but for now this was the quickest & easiest fix. Mine has the wing aswell, so may be coming from that. A mate has a dunnydoor with the same prob, and the holes fixed it (By fixed i mean did it the easy way, found a fix for the problem without fixing the problem). When i have time will get someone to shut me in the boot and hose it so i can see where its coming from.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

To add to it, mine was actually that bad that I removed my spare wheel the other day to find it half submerged in water, so i put 2 small holes in the bottom of the well to let that drain to if ever it happens again. The holes are only big enough to let water drain, without being big enough to let water in when its raining (or getting the odd underbody wash) and getting splashed up and around there.
Hope this helps.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Cheers. Yep will be doing the same. As for the spare wheel well- mine is missing that large grommet that usually resides in there, so mine flows out quite easily.