Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Uni

Default Springs AND shocks

Hi folks,

So, i finally bought some 17s for the focus! Bought some 17" Focus Cabrio rims off eBay from Tempe Tyres for $400 - pretty awesome deal i thought

Anyways, im going to be fitting the rims with some decent tyres, but i've decided that while i'm at it i'll get the suspension sorted as well. Im looking for a spring and shock setup (but not coilovers.. the uber hard ride and insane cost is not really very practical for me at the moment..) to compliment a swaybar kit from whiteline. I was considering the Pedders springs w/ Bilstein shock combination, but their website does not appear to advertise a rear shock solution, which really isn't particularly desireable (i like doing things properly ;) )

does anyone know of anywhere who could do this, or does anyone have any experience in this matter?

thanks in advance

Rob/.

Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you had a look at Eibach shocks and springs? A lot of people speak highly of them. I know melbzetec has Eibach springs in his Focus.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

http://www.eastcoastsuspensions.com.au/ecs-index.html

I had my Eibachs (purchased from European Parts) fitted here...they aren't the cheapest place around but sell the good stuff and know alot about Euro cars.

My advice is to upgrade the shocks + springs at once, and with a good brand.

I think the cheapest brand at ECS is Lovells, but they like using Koni's, Eibach, Bilstein (my chioce) and numerous coilover-only brands.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Uni

Russ: What was the ride height drop you had with the Eibachs? i think that's the sort of lowering i was looking at getting. Have you done the shocks as well? what's the ride like now? lol sorry for all the questions, im keen to get the best set up i can.

cheers

Uni/.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Also KYB shocks are used a bit in other markets?

For better handling your probably better to go with a uprated swaybar.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
Russ: What was the ride height drop you had with the Eibachs? i think that's the sort of lowering i was looking at getting. Have you done the shocks as well? what's the ride like now? lol sorry for all the questions, im keen to get the best set up i can.

cheers

Uni/.
Ride drop was a fair bit as it was pretty high standard (as you would know), something like 40-45mm. Unfortunately I had to use Lovells superlows in the rear as it was not lowered as much as the front...I've heard this problem with the LS and Eibach's before. I love the height, does require you to adjust your driving style (driveways, etc) but it looks great and makes it so much better to drive - even in every day traffic (BlackLS can vouch for this I'm sure).

I am yet to upgrade the shocks, and I wish I did when I changed the springs. You can just tell the stock shocks are doing what they're not designed to. So basically I would advise to do all the suspension changes at once, including a thicker swaybar.

The ride now isn't THAT much firmer than Zetec susp., you only really notice its firmer (without upgrading the shocks) when hitting BIG bumps...ie Parramatta Road...hey BlackLS!! Its not bonejarring firm though, and you soon learn to look out for big potholes before you hit them.

And no probs with the Q's
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Uni

awesome, thanks for the advice mate, i shall investing in them soon!

cheers

Uni/.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

I went King Spring Superlows, not sure on the amount of drop, but the lowest part of the car is now 110mm from the ground. I was too poor to change the shocks.

The car is a bit bouncy on the Kings, it does not bounce so much when you have a bit of weight on the rear - changing the shocks with short stroke shocks (designed for lowered springs) should eliminate this. You need to angle into driveways etc. Yes bumps are very firm, but due to the control blade IRS rear, its no where as bad as lowered Lancers and Corollas I've been in. I did a trip from Gold Coast to Sydney and my gf was asleep for half the trip.

In terms of handling, 1 word - awesome. Its soooo direct with the road. In the twisties, it keeps up with a lot of "performance" orientated cars.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Oh yeah - Parra road feels like your driving down a never ending set of stairs!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Uni

got the quote back from East Coast suspensions... $2081 for H&R Springs and Bilstein shocks with a drop of 40mm.. pretty damn tempting!

Uni/.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=591

Bilstein coil-overs $1485 + Shipping

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=755

Eibach coilover $1318 + Shipping
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Looks like a good deal from European Parts (as usual)

I have always been dubious mixing and matching shocks and springs.....I think you are much better getting a system that was designed to work together, rather than trying to design your own system based on pot luck and seat of the pants research

On my car (LR Focus Zetec) I recently got the Eibach Pro kit springs. Approx 20mm drop not 30mm (as Zetec springs were lower than stock anyway). Very happy with them (until I went up Parramatta Rd on a recent trip to Sydney!!!!)

I have kept the stock shocks, as the springs were designed to work with stock shocks (Ford UK used to sell the eibach springs as an approved Ford accessory). However, should I at some point wish to upgrade further, I would go with the Eibach shocks and Eibach sway bars, all designed to work together.

Focus' are great handling cars and I wouldn't want to bugger that up. That's why I'd rather trust the technical expertise of suspension experts who have created a total system to work with the car, rather than cooking up a mix and match system.

My 5c worth.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Looks like a good deal from European Parts (as usual)

I have always been dubious mixing and matching shocks and springs.....I think you are much better getting a system that was designed to work together, rather than trying to design your own system based on pot luck and seat of the pants research

On my car (LR Focus Zetec) I recently got the Eibach Pro kit springs. Approx 20mm drop not 30mm (as Zetec springs were lower than stock anyway). Very happy with them (until I went up Parramatta Rd on a recent trip to Sydney!!!!)

I have kept the stock shocks, as the springs were designed to work with stock shocks (Ford UK used to sell the eibach springs as an approved Ford accessory). However, should I at some point wish to upgrade further, I would go with the Eibach shocks and Eibach sway bars, all designed to work together.

Focus' are great handling cars and I wouldn't want to bugger that up. That's why I'd rather trust the technical expertise of suspension experts who have created a total system to work with the car, rather than cooking up a mix and match system.

My 5c worth.
I thought the same thing too (not mixing brands/components), but after I spoke to the manager at ECS I found its not a bad thing at all. As long as rebound/bump rates etc are compatible there isn't a problem. These guys also have a drift car and support other local motorsport cars, and have a great reputation.

Probably aren't the cheapest place around to get this done, but I think, as you mentioned, as the Focus is such a great handler it should be done by people who who European stuff.

Anyway, my 2c (and no, I don't work for ECS!! Just very happy with their work...others include:
http://forums.performanceforums.com/...-67122727.html)

Whatever you get though, ENJOY!!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Uni

hmm.. looks like it'll be east coast then! awesome

Uni/.