Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
TuMor
its not a!

Default Just had a bit of a laugh, thought i might share.

Just heard a corker from one of my little brothers mates, drives an oldish 5.0 statto.
Talking about economy driving he's adamate that the power button gives him heaps better economy...also says he saves heaps of petrol driving fast up to the speed limit so he can put the cruise control on sooner.

This from a kid who argued with my brother that Hitler killed 60million Jews in WW2.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Oh dear!!! :
Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
andrewts
White Car Driver

Hrm, I noted slightly better economy in Power when navigating the hills in the Northern Beaches area of Skidney than in Economy, as the engine labours more at lower RPM in Economy than in Power, and it uses more fuel than if it just spins a bit faster labouring less. If that makes sense. As for racing up to speed and then putting cruise on, I highly doubt that would save fuel. :P
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

There is a lot of research including some done by Mercedes Benz published in Road and Track some years ago that shows on a trip brisk acceleration to the desired cruising speed, while giving a momentary heavy fuel consumption, will give a better overall trip economy i.e. using more fuel for a shorter period can be more fuel efficient than accelerating slowly and having less than optimal fuel consumption for a longer period.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
AuFairlaneV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
There is a lot of research including some done by Mercedes Benz published in Road and Track some years ago that shows on a trip brisk acceleration to the desired cruising speed, while giving a momentary heavy fuel consumption, will give a better overall trip economy i.e. using more fuel for a shorter period can be more fuel efficient than accelerating slowly and having less than optimal fuel consumption for a longer period.
Yeah I heard something similar, some researcher came to the conclusion that using 75% of the cars acceleration potential to get up to the speed limit is optimum for saving fuel.
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMor
Just heard a corker from one of my little brothers mates, drives an oldish 5.0 statto.
Talking about economy driving he's adamate that the power button gives him heaps better economy...also says he saves heaps of petrol driving fast up to the speed limit so he can put the cruise control on sooner.

This from a kid who argued with my brother that Hitler killed 60million Jews in WW2.
Moderate acceleration up to your desired speed can give better economy than very light throttle as it enables the car to hit a higher gear sooner, which is better for economy. But if he is going hard it'll drink more.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Some more recent similar research(albeit with diesel trucks) that was based on MB earlier car research. I am still seeing if I can find that earlier MB paper.

http://inderscience.metapress.com/me...q8lvj9gxkl.pdf

Quote:
The optimal acceleration – torque relation defines a driver’s attitude towards vehicle
acceleration. It refers to the proper application of torque in order to accomplish a
given road distance, without needing to set the acceleration pedal to its full position,
which is not recommended during gear shifting. The gear shifting needed depends on
the road conditions.
The conservation of momentum principle takes advantage of the vehicle’s inertia.
When used by the driver, it will keep the vehicle as much as possible at constant
speed, thereby saving fuel. For a correct observation of this principle, the driver has
to forecast some traffic situations, especially in suburban areas. The cruise speed is
reached more rapidly during a given operation.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, well it's all very well getting there quickly, but the amount of people that can't stay there and keep speeding up and slowing down doesn't help fuel consumption
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I guess the real point is that the often cited claim that you get the best fuel economy by driving like there is an egg under the accelerator peddle has been proven wrong numerous times (as well as such diving habits being perhaps dangerous in terms of frustrating other road users). "Brisk" rather than flat out acceleration giving early gear upshifts is the go.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
andrewts
White Car Driver

I know I'm keeping on about the Power/Economy thing, but when combine with brisker acceleration, which would be better?

I can't help but think that in the city there is no point in gunning it either.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Economy gives earlier shifts so is more economical. The power switch is all about later shifts and therefore usually poorer economy (except when towing or climbing mountains). So it will depend on your terrain and what you are pulling or carrying. Of course if you are racing for pink slips economy will cost.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
andrewts
White Car Driver

OK then, so I'll get into it a bit more on the next tank and see how we go. Currently sitting on about 420Km, with the guage just below half (I love fuel guages and the false hope they provide haha.)
Old 03-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMor

Ford actually believed this for a while too with the EL's, if you push the cuise on early with those, they would drop back a gear and go like crazy to your pre-set speed.

And I fail how all this relates to WWII, but I guess I must be missing something, unless the early Volkswagens did it too -
Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

6 million is sort of close to 60 million.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I know my EF had better economy in power in heavy traffic as it didn't want to change up a gear in stop start traffic. I believe this was also recommended by Ford at the time.

I'd also heard about studies in accelerating briskly to the speed limit and then hitting cruise to be more economical.

Ok, his numbers are a little off with regards to the Jews but you can't always be right...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #16
paul_r_d

ok.... dumb question, my VX had a power button.... i had no idea what it was for, and never used it.....what they hell do they do....

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The power button ii the Falcons is fantastic when towing or driving in hills.

It holds the gear longer before changing up or down.

In power, when towing or in hills the engine will only drop a few revs before the transmission changes down, whereas in normal, the revs will drop a fair bit before changing down. It enables the car to maintain better speed.

You wouldn't notice much difference when driving around on flatish ground.