Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #91
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

James Hardie Ltd. they lick the wang of a thousand dried up camel's

ge finance with their higher than credit card loans = 19% on a 5grand car loan? WTF?
SECURED?

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #92
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh hang on ill quote something from here on the ford forums about FORD

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=113946

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #93
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Reason ?
Greg Murphy ..... Enough said ..... but we wont go there

My vote is Telstra too
Old 21-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #94
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Telstra is the only phone company that provides decent mobile phone reception outside of the big cities and towns and that is how it has been for years and years. Telstra also has Telstra shops in decent sized towns. All of the other phone companies are just after the rich pickings in the highly populated areas.

That said, my vote goes to James Hardies. What they did was apalling.

As I said, so they bloody well should! Our tax dollars paid for the core of Telstra's business... They should be FORCED to pile that money back into making sure every one who needs a mobile should be able to get one... IMO if they can afford to pay the Mexican all that money for sitting there doing SFA, they can afford to give every major town (at least!) in Australia mobile coverage....
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #95
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
As I said, so they bloody well should! Our tax dollars paid for the core of Telstra's business... They should be FORCED to pile that money back into making sure every one who needs a mobile should be able to get one... IMO if they can afford to pay the Mexican all that money for sitting there doing SFA, they can afford to give every major town (at least!) in Australia mobile coverage....
And every other telco that leaches off that network should put money back into improving it
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #96
efI_Fairmont

One word - Telstra!!
efI_Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #97
1600GT

1st, while i work in the telecommunications industry, for myself, i'm not affiliated with any carrier in any way. just want that to be clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
And every other telco that leaches off that network should put money back into improving it
WELL SAID!!!
they all want a piece of the pie that telstra/formerly telecom australia/formerly the PMG have built from scratch over many decades, but wont do anything to maintain or improve it.

ok. i'm reading alot of telstra bashing, and some other telco's thrown in too, but i wonder just how many people here work in the industry??
id bet some would complain if they got everything in life for free coz it took longer than they expected to arrive... some are never happy.
i see and experience alot of dealings with many many carriers in my line of work, and yes, telstra can be a down right pain sometimes, but you should try some of the little companies... macquarie and ii come to mind... :togo:

while telstra is more expensive than most, they do sink money back into the network, and sometimes thast only enuf just to keep it running.
our communications network is over 50 years old in some areas, and maintaining this costs alot, so improving it just doesnt happen as the money doesnt go that far.
other carriers complain about this, as do consumers, but put simply, if the carriers want a bet network, then they should put up some money for it too, and the consumer that complains about poor service should also realise that they get what they pay for.
basicly, less money they pay equals less money to spend on improvements...

my opinion on bad corporations.
RACV tops that.
this is not only from an accident point of view (both against me and supposedly for me in separate incidents...), but also on a busniess relationship level.
they want it all, when its suits them, for a price that suits them, and pay when it suits them.
and if that means we almost go broke (seriously... had no wage for 7 weeks and had to take money out of our own account to pay company bills...) because they decided to pay "at a later" date, even tho they promised numerous times that the money was coming tomorrow, continue to give every god damn excuse under the sun why they havent paid, and was well outside their own advertised payment terms which was argeed upon on the quote!!
never ever again...

btw, were talking $80k here too.
small change for a corp. that big, but not to a little 2 man business like mine...

and yep, i got the money in the end.
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #98
scorpio39

Question Telstra

One of reason Telstra's costs are high is because of the $$$$ paid to Sol who should ride off into the sunset.
Question, what has Sol done to improve Telstra ?
scorpio39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #99
-=FoRdEseries=-

telstra, ya love m or ya hate m...
-=FoRdEseries=- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #100
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GE Money would be up there wouldnt they?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #101
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio39
One of reason Telstra's costs are high is because of the $$$$ paid to Sol who should ride off into the sunset.
Question, what has Sol done to improve Telstra ?
Rolled out a third generation mobile phone system into regional Australia that has handsets that are compatible with the other 3G systems and provides data rates at near ADSL speeds into woop woop, under budget and inside deadlines.......

What do you call an angry person in a phone box? A Voda/Optus/3 customer.
What do you call an Optus truck in thr bush? Lost.
Why is Voda/Optus so much cheaper than Telstra? You can't make calls when you have no service coverage.

On the other hand, deep in the corporate headquarters of Telstra is the company motto........
"If you don't like the service get your own bloody dial tone"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:07 AM   #102
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I have never had a problem with Telstra. People whinge to much about minor crap without looking at the big picture.
Old 23-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #103
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

I will drop into this debate after watching it for a little bit.

I must say that James Hardie takes the cake - mofo's which should be hunted down and tourtured to inflict pain like they have done to their victims.

Telstra on the other hand, are anti competitive dogs.

Whilst I understand that while they were government owned they continued to pile money into the network to keep it up to par, since they have been privatised they feed off keeping other players out of the market by charging higher wholesale rates than what they charge their customers - so to those that state that it costs too much to maintain their own network - it shows the contempt they have for competition in the telco market. As an example o you remember what WE (consumers) paid for long distance calls to Western Australia from the east coast prior to competition? So even if you dislike the other players in the market, competition has benefited Telstra customers so you should be thankful.

There are many things that I could comment on, some of which people have already stated in previous posts. With the main competitor of Telstra investing over $10 Billion in networks to try and get away from using their infrastructure, I think this shows the issues Optus are trying to get away from using Telstra's network.

Also, I will add that yes I work in the Telco game for Optus, so some of you will call it biased but everything I have posted here is simple fact, no spin.

It funny that some people who have actually researched the Telco market all share the same view about Telstra, and I'm not talking about "I hate Telstra cos they take too long to answer my calls" I'm talking about real facts from the industry.

My 2c

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #104
BlackLS

Well said BLKPhoon.

If it weren't for competitors we'd all still be on dial up and GSM phones.

Actually not even dial up. It took Ozemail to introduce the internet to Australia.
Took Agile/Internode to offer ADSL2+ in 2004, Telstra only in 2006, and only where competition has 2+.

Virgin is taking a good step in the right direction with Telstra crying over other carriers/ISPs using parts of their network.

http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/

Run home broadband and VOIP over 3G. Very innovative, as is almost every other Virgin company (they should be in a "great corporate image" thread)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #105
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Well said BLKPhoon.

If it weren't for competitors we'd all still be on dial up and GSM phones.

Actually not even dial up. It took Ozemail to introduce the internet to Australia.
Took Agile/Internode to offer ADSL2+ in 2004, Telstra only in 2006, and only where competition has 2+.

Virgin is taking a good step in the right direction with Telstra crying over other carriers/ISPs using parts of their network.

http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/

Run home broadband and VOIP over 3G. Very innovative, as is almost every other Virgin company (they should be in a "great corporate image" thread)
But then it was also Ozimail who prevented ADSL being made available to the majority of Australians by whinging to the ACCC that Telstra should not be able to deploy ADSL into places that they could not. How do I know this? I spoke to the Minister at the time about it. This was before the mandatory wholesale debarcle.

It amuses me that many of the capital city people complain about fairness but seem to not give a rat's bum about the rest of the country having similar services or pricing to them.
Are these the same people who DEMAND that they have access to our WATER at the same pricing and that we pay for all the infrastructure to make that available.

No water shortage here, we don't need huge new dams. You guys should just put up with what you have or maybe start your own cheaper water company and discount it.
Old 23-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #106
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600GT
while telstra is more expensive than most, they do sink money back into the network, and sometimes thast only enuf just to keep it running. our communications network is over 50 years old in some areas, and maintaining this costs alot, so improving it just doesnt happen as the money doesnt go that far.
other carriers complain about this, as do consumers, but put simply, if the carriers want a bet network, then they should put up some money for it too, and the consumer that complains about poor service should also realise that they get what they pay for.
and yep, i got the money in the end.
Cutting Sol's pay cheque would go a long way towards fixing up that infrastructure.. I wouldnt like to imagine what sort of cash the board @ Telstra gets....

This is why before the sale of Telstra the retail and infrastructure sections should have been separated. Make it an even playing field for all, better technology for all of us, better coverage in the bush, and better/fairer pricing for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappist
Rolled out a third generation mobile phone system into regional Australia that has handsets that are compatible with the other 3G systems and provides data rates at near ADSL speeds into woop woop, under budget and inside deadlines.......

What do you call an angry person in a phone box? A Voda/Optus/3 customer.
What do you call an Optus truck in thr bush? Lost.
Why is Voda/Optus so much cheaper than Telstra? You can't make calls when you have no service coverage.
Funny how the just about every ex CDMA customer that I have spoken to absolutly hates NextG.. They all agree that the coverage is rubbish compared to CDMA... Who cares about speed when you can't connect to the network.

Also funny how my Vodafone phone has much better coverage in most area's I have been (note: This includes out in bush area's as well as in the metro, and country area's) than both my old Telstra phone and my partners Telstra phone (all on GSM). Hell she has to go outside for her phone to work whereas mine works flawlessly inside... And as a bonus mine is cheaper too...
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #107
Scott

It seems to be forgotten that this thread is about corporate image - or lack thereof. It doesn't matter how good or bad a company or it's services are, what matters (with regard to corporate image) is our perception of the company in question.

Overwhelmingly, Telstra seems to have a bad corporate image - justified or not.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #108
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra and James Hardie win hands down. Honorable mentions must go to Coles for treating their staff like and running down a food business that was kicking Woolies 10 years ago.

And they still cant sell themselves.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #109
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
The AWU, hands down!
That is a very researched opinion....................

Maquirie bank chief earning 35 million per annum is slightly more criminal.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #110
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It amuses me that many of the capital city people complain about fairness but seem to not give a rat's bum about the rest of the country having similar services or pricing to them.
Are these the same people who DEMAND that they have access to our WATER at the same pricing and that we pay for all the infrastructure to make that available.

No water shortage here, we don't need huge new dams. You guys should just put up with what you have or maybe start your own cheaper water company and discount it.
I have never said I don't give a rats bum anything about country having similar services or pricing etc.

I care a lot which is why it angers me that Telstra stifles competition, which discourages other carriers to invest in a lesser profitable area compared to a metro area. A classic example is Agile Networks - a small company compared to Telstra, investing its money setting up phone and high speed data to the Coorong regional area in South Australia which was to be completly independent to Telstra infrastructure. Agile was to offer metro pricing in this regional area; the same day this came online Telstra lowered its pricing in that regional area alone.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #111
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Cutting Sol's pay cheque would go a long way towards fixing up that infrastructure.. I wouldnt like to imagine what sort of cash the board @ Telstra gets....

This is why before the sale of Telstra the retail and infrastructure sections should have been separated. Make it an even playing field for all, better technology for all of us, better coverage in the bush, and better/fairer pricing for all.

Funny how the just about every ex CDMA customer that I have spoken to absolutly hates NextG.. They all agree that the coverage is rubbish compared to CDMA... Who cares about speed when you can't connect to the network.

Also funny how my Vodafone phone has much better coverage in most area's I have been (note: This includes out in bush area's as well as in the metro, and country area's) than both my old Telstra phone and my partners Telstra phone (all on GSM). Hell she has to go outside for her phone to work whereas mine works flawlessly inside... And as a bonus mine is cheaper too...
Well I have a Kyocera CDMA, LG NextG and Motorola Maxx6 unlocked with sims for Telstra, Voda and Optus. I tend to travel a lot in the bush, that is the BUSH, not just along the arterial highways, and my personal knowlege based on coverage I have personally got is that NextG has the most, CDMA the second most in the bush, Telstra GSM second in the urbam areas, Optus third and Voda forth.
Look at their websites for their coverage maps. They even show it not working much outside the urban corridors.

http://www.vodafone.com.au/Personal/...Maps/index.htm

But that is irrelevent really, you think Voda is great and so that is the one you choose but you can still make emergency calls on the other networks if you get into strife.

P.S. You do realise that the CDMA network is also Telstra, Optus just resell it.

Last edited by flappist; 23-08-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 24-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #112
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I am suprised that nowhere here was mentioned
Chris Skaife's Quintrex Group (almost everything he owned was a mirage)
Or Allan bonds Bell Corp

and my number 1 vote for a current company is Dodo for crap customer service and out right lies to thier customers
Old 24-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #113
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
And so they bloody well should, our tax dollars paid for the infrastructure that is making that Mexican POS a multi-millionare for sitting on his lazy and screwing the population over...
Pffft!!!

Yes tax dollars paid for the infrastructure... and the postmaster general, telecom and telstra paid it back many many many many many times over.

Telstra paid for the infrastructure, fair and square.

Besides which, de-monopolising the infrastructure is not going to give you unlimited downloads, which is really what most most telstra bashers see as the crux of the issue.
Old 24-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #114
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

police.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #115
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzz
police.
Yea they have a job to do though....
Politics !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #116
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Pffft!!!

Yes tax dollars paid for the infrastructure... and the postmaster general, telecom and telstra paid it back many many many many many times over.

Telstra paid for the infrastructure, fair and square.
How exactly have they paid for it??
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #117
XWGT