Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default 60 footer mt slicks vs et street?

What is the best tyre for the 60 footer and what ps are people running.As front runners with slicks I was given street radials are these ok? Which will give better et?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
FLUB378

Slicks will definately give better 60 footers. You will have to adjust your launch rpm as the slicks will bog the motor down compared to radials. Tyre pressure depends on too many variables. My car is 3500 pounds, 661.9 RWHP and runs 29.5 x 10.5 x 15's and I run 13.5 psi. Hope this helps some.
FLUB378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If you run cross plys on the back you must run cross plys on the front..
The other option is radial drag slicks..
cross ply slicks are better... 12 to 15 Lb....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

You will most likely go slower with slicks stav,they take power to turn and will bog the car.
Best case is you will go the same,I slicked up a mid 12 sec car I had once,it went the same as with normal everyday 185 street tyres,depite power needing to be fed in with the street tyres,the slicks bogged the car,Ive got a set of 26x10's and front runners you can borrow if you want to try.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
You will most likely go slower with slicks stav,they take power to turn and will bog the car.
Best case is you will go the same,I slicked up a mid 12 sec car I had once,it went the same as with normal everyday 185 street tyres,depite power needing to be fed in with the street tyres,the slicks bogged the car,Ive got a set of 26x10's and front runners you can borrow if you want to try.
Good advice there Stav, if I was you I would just stick to the MT streets you have.
Mate like I said when we spoke last work on your launching technique, get it right and you can make some good improvements on your 60's then after you start to do good consistant 60's you can start looking in other areas for improvements.

Wade
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thanks guys.The only way to better 60 footers is a manual or bigger stallie from here. Those mt et streets work well tony and still have a bit of tread on them.I drive to the track ,race and go back home with them.The are dot approved and street legal. The best 60 footer so far is 2.098 and last time out were 2.1. I really need to launch harder.I need 1.9 or 1.8 60 footers.This should see me into the 13 second bracket.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Thanks guys.The only way to better 60 footers is a manual or bigger stallie from here. Those mt et streets work well tony and still have a bit of tread on them.I drive to the track ,race and go back home with them.The are dot approved and street legal. The best 60 footer so far is 2.098 and last time out were 2.1. I really need to launch harder.I need 1.9 or 1.8 60 footers.This should see me into the 13 second bracket.
Stav Mt street are not street legal mate (not that most boys in blue would pick up on it though), there approved in the states but not Aus, if you have driven with them in the wet you will know why, not good at all.

To get you into 13's you would need to drop your 60 by atleast .25 which going by your 60 with you PB would be around a mid 1.8 60, personally I think you will be pushing it to achieve it with the setup you have. Mate theres three things to take into consideration in getting a good 60, weight (taking weight out like some of the other 6 n/a guys will help) then launch (like i said before even with a auto theres a fair amount of technique to get the most out of your stall, you will need a decent amount of passes under your belt to start to get a good understanding of your cars setup) and torque ( how much you have , where it is will be a limiting factor also).
And putting a manual in you will go backwards, much harder to master launch, gear changes etc and you will never be able to change gears as quick as a edited auto can, yes can launch harder but the other factors will cancel that out.
Like I have said before mate be patient only do one change at a time, take notes and lots of practice, there aint no quick anwers.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
MYWPN

Trust me i can vouch for using radials on front and full slicks rear, it skates all the way down the track and i nearly hit the wall and ended up in the other lane, only use cross ply tyres with full slicks
MYWPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase3ute
Trust me i can vouch for using radials on front and full slicks rear, it skates all the way down the track and i nearly hit the wall and ended up in the other lane, only use cross ply tyres with full slicks
It used be illegal to run front radials with slicks some time back; for exactly the reason you stated.
With a strong/solid wall front tyre (eg cross ply) you can have the rear of the car walk around (which they do on drag slicks) without any real handling dramas; it's easy to feel the car.

When the front and the rear start walking at the same time you got big problems. When one end of the car walks sideways in one direction the other end moves the opposite way.

Then it multiplies.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

scary stuff!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Stav Mt street are not street legal mate (not that most boys in blue would pick up on it though), there approved in the states but not Aus, if you have driven with them in the wet you will know why, not good at all.

To get you into 13's you would need to drop your 60 by atleast .25 which going by your 60 with you PB would be around a mid 1.8 60, personally I think you will be pushing it to achieve it with the setup you have. Mate theres three things to take into consideration in getting a good 60, weight (taking weight out like some of the other 6 n/a guys will help) then launch (like i said before even with a auto theres a fair amount of technique to get the most out of your stall, you will need a decent amount of passes under your belt to start to get a good understanding of your cars setup) and torque ( how much you have , where it is will be a limiting factor also).
And putting a manual in you will go backwards, much harder to master launch, gear changes etc and you will never be able to change gears as quick as a edited auto can, yes can launch harder but the other factors will cancel that out.
Like I have said before mate be patient only do one change at a time, take notes and lots of practice, there aint no quick anwers.
O!! I wont be driving to the track again with them. I will just put them in the back of the wagon and drive there.I like to do things by the book.Especially when it comes to safety