Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Default Broken and bleeding chariot

Hitting an oily spot on the road during heavy drizzle while negotiating a corner at a relatively slow 30-35km/h is very,very bad. It causes near-instantaneous loss of traction and your car will slide straight into the kerb.

Well, at least that's what happened to my car on Monday afternoon, coming home from work.

Since the tyres had no grip because of the oil and water on the road, even a light touch on the brakes caused them to lock up, and just as I was about to countersteer in an attempt to recover - WHAM. My front left wheel slammed sideways into the concrete kerb, jumped up over it and down again, digging a short rut in the dirt on the other side. It happened in less than a second.

The rim was cracked, the suspension arms and drive shaft were buggered all to hell, and the wheel assembly had been pushed up and backward into the wheel well, deforming the front quarter panel and keeping the passenger-side door from opening. I stood there for nearly a minute staring at it while contemplating the unfairness of life, and hoping the car wasn't a write-off. Then I called my insurance company. Their tow truck came and took the car to my repairer, who told me that the damage can be fixed, thank God. With original parts, too, not cheap re-conditioned sh it.

It happened within seven blocks from home. At least my wife and daughter weren't in the car when I crashed.

The insurance assessor will have a look at it tomorrow. I've been assured by them that I won't have to pay a cent for the repairs, except for the standard excess.
So now I'm driving around in an '89 Toyota Corolla automatic whose steering wheel needs to be wrestled with everytime I want to make a turn. I'll have massive bulging biceps by the time i get my own car back.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Whoa, No good!

Trust me I had the same thing happen in my Fez, It had ABS, but seriously, even on Oil, ABS is useless as normal non ABS brakes.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

DAMN!!!!!

that sucks.. and DAMN!!! look at that damage....

shazam mate. i feel sorry for you...

hope it doesnt take toooo long to get repaired.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NOOO!!!

Sorry to hear that mate. Looking on the positive side, nobody was hurt. I hope all the repairs will go as smooth as possible. Also I hope the car wont have a "scar".
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Adsy01

Spewing! I hope it drives as new when you get it back.

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

The most "Standard" car I've ever owned!
Adsy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Man that looks nasty. Hope she's as good as new when you get it back, will they even do your alloys as well. Don't see why not if you've declared them. Makes paying for something you hope you never need, worth it when you do. Good luck mate.
Old 24-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, hope the car gets back on the road. Hope to see you cruising soon

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Did you photo the oil and prove you weren't speeding? Hope they didn't try to pin you for neg driving.

Sorry to see mate, hope she's back in time for Transformers at Coburg Drive-Ins!!!
Old 29-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Thanks guys.

I paid a visit to the suspension place yesterday; they'd stripped the damaged parts off and were waiting for the assessor to come in and give a final quote. It wasn't as bad as I'd feared - the drive shaft is OK, and the body damage isn't as serious as it looks. The rim and the suspension arms bore the brunt of the impact. They couldn't tell me exactly how long the whole job would take, so it looks like I'll be tooling around in the old Toyota for a little while yet.

Happily, Allianz didn't try to pin me with negligent driving; they just asked how long I'd had my licence (3 years here, 12 years overseas), and I told them about the oil slick and that this is the first time something like this has happened to me. They didn't argue or anything; they said that I wouldn't have to pay a cent on repairs.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post