Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default 93 and still framing.

Just got a phone call from my father in law. It would seem that my wifes grand father is in hospital after damaging a disc in his back while putting up the frame work for my wifes aunties extension. The thing is, the old guy is 93. He still lives life to the fullest. Works every day and gets through a bottle of glenfidich (SP?) every week. I am about half his age and dont reckon that I will get even close to his age, and if I do i reckon I will be in some nursing home eating my dinner through a straw and wearing nappies!!!!

Old 20-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a machine of a man!!!! I framed new homes for a few years and its real had work. I'm only 33 too!!!!
There were 2 old framers working for a company, they had been with that crew for over 20 years and are both pushing 70 years old!!! One of them fell off the roof recently and broke his bach... he was back on the job 4 weeks later!
They don't make us like they used to.....
Old 20-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

yup, theres some older guys getting around that are definitely tougher than the average.....

very good friend of mine turns 76 this year, still drives the same twice weekly bush mail run that he's done for the last 30-40 odd years, and 2-3 times a week he does a freight run delivering anything and everything (usually kegs and pallets of beer), and still thinks nothing of lifting a FULL keg onto his shoulder...... got perfect eyesight too lol

was talking to a bloke on saturday night, turns out he's 78 and still doing fencing and stockyard building!
Old 21-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Hey Outback
That's what keeps some of the old guy's going , some retire , lay back , read the paper Etc. and they're gone within 6 months . My Dad built a 3 car garage (only needed 2) when he retired at 60 , he spent most of his time "fiddling" around in the shed and said he didn't know how he had time to go to work , he lived until he was 86 .

Some of the old farmers around here are in their late 70's - 80's and can run rings around guy's half their age . They'll never retire , because they know nothing else but hard work .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Just got a phone call from my father in law. It would seem that my wifes grand father is in hospital after damaging a disc in his back while putting up the frame work for my wifes aunties extension. The thing is, the old guy is 93. He still lives life to the fullest. Works every day and gets through a bottle of glenfidich (SP?) every week. I am about half his age and dont reckon that I will get even close to his age, and if I do i reckon I will be in some nursing home eating my dinner through a straw and wearing nappies!!!!
Lol, that is a seriously good effort! Hope his back is on the mend!!

I live next to an old italian couple, about a month ago i saw the husband up on the roof, hobbling about fixing tiles - with a walking cane in his right hand.

Agreed- they dont make 'em like they used to !