Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Default Irony or just Bad Luck?

The story starts about four weeks ago when I placed a $500 deposit for parts with my local panel beater as he said he'd look for some second-hand parts for the rear of my car.

Cut a long story short:
- Turned out the $500 quoted by the wrecker was for a Festiva not a Fiesta *shock*
- Fiesta parts cost >$1000 and there's none in the colour I want.

So this week I called him up, told him I need to get my priorities set and will just forget about the parts for the moment as it seems a bit futile. He was ok with it, I went down to collect the money yesterday afternoon. Parked on the street (very narrow, two-way street with trucks travelling and cars parked on both sides). So I get it sorted out, I'm about to shake hands with him and leave when one of his mate's comes running into the panel shop and says "Someone's just run into your car".

Unfortunately it was my car he was talking about, and it was the front of the car. A man in his work van reversed into the front right corner of my car (pretty much straight on, but offset). No dents as such, but he popped out my right hand lower air-dam/grille and made some nice scratches/transfer of paint onto the bumper. He had the rear step/towbar so no damage to him.

My panel beater told the guy that it could be the whole bar to fix - $650. The man suggested just some touch up paint...umm, no thanks. Then my panel beater suggested that he could do it for $450 without sourcing a new bumper. So we'll see how it goes. The guy just seemed a little reluctant to hand over anything over $100 for the bingle.

Does anyone else find this story slightly ironic? I go in to get some money for a damage fix back and I get damaged further? Or just bad luck with this car? (Also had clear side indicators from Ebay fogging up when it rained but that's another story.)

But there is one thing that concerned me, the guy first wrote his name, number and rego down quickly and his name was "XXXXXX Lee" but when I copied the details off his license it was "XXXXXXX Li". He is asian, so his first name could be the English translation of the name on his license, although I know for sure that Li and Lee are two separate types of surnames, not just an English translation. I'm worried that he may have given me his mate's name and number to claim the damage to. Though I have his address and license number, so there is still some reassurance.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
scooby

Bad luck mate...go with the name and details from his license. Did the photo look like him???
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear that, dude. I hope u get it all sorted out ok. Call up your insurance company and tell them what happened.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Sonia

From experience being the innocent party in a bingle, call your insurer and advise of what has happened and give them all the details on the driver/car that you have. They'll hunt him down for the money whether he's a Li, Lee or Leigh
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Thanks for the advice . I've got Third Party Property Fire + Theft (so covers damage to other vehicles and property if I were at fault) with Just Cars, but not Comprehensive. Is it still ok to ring my insurance company despite this?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

bummer man, wot a crazy story :(
nnng_oozie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
darkcloud

yeh, bummer. anyway goodluck with the repairs etc!! hope it all goes smoothly~
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
morbo

Dont worry with the name thing but definitely go with the lic, just like scooby said. I have the same thing with mine and i STILL get speeding tickets

Hope everything works out well for ya.

Without the risk of jacking the thread - why does everything think Fiesta = Festiva?
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo
Without the risk of jacking the thread - why does everything think Fiesta = Festiva?
Lack of brainpower. :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Lack of brainpower. :
thats funny....bang on the money...but still funny.

yeah I feel for ya mate, I too have been an innocent party when a LOOSER in a entry level Pajero rear-ended me. He was looking at the Mum's outside of the school picking up their kids. He had a Alloy bull bar and I had a Ford probe gt.

Yes out the front of a freekin school, needless to say it wrote off my baby...

I just wanted to do some physical harm to him,but, i calmed down. Although he did give me wrong address and ph number. so I sent the cops on his trail.

Yeah they found him.....and the big heavy book of the law.

If your ever in a crash get the Drivers Licence number, if he doesn't have it on him, get a ph number off them call it to make sure, but most importantly get the rego. That saved me. Insurance details also, and if your in doubt call the cops to come down and take statements cause they get all the details
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Oh I forgot to add I was stationary due to the line of cars infront of me also stopped. Noone else was behind me till this dildo drove up.....
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #12
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

It's all good, he didn't give me any dodgy details...I was just being over precautious. We agreed on $500 cash since he doesnt want to go through insurance. It's pretty much bang on the quotes the panelbeaters have given me to repair the damage (using existing bumper) so everyone's happy. Although I'm not too worried about the scratches to be honest, on a silver car theyre hardly noticeable, plus $500 is some nice change to have
Old 13-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
Although I'm not too worried about the scratches to be honest, on a silver car theyre hardly noticeable, plus $500 is some nice change to have
Whoa! Hos that for a Blaze' attitude. Good for you! Keep the money!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post