Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
stera

Default Business Ideas

I was wondering if there are any potential up and coming or established entrepreneur’s amongst us?

Does anybody have an idea that they think would take off, or are there any hints and advice from those looking to launch an idea?

stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

A pygmy dwarf brothel for retarded wheezer owners,would take off I reckon..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera
I was wondering if there are any potential up and coming or established entrepreneur’s amongst us?

Does anybody have an idea that they think would take off, or are there any hints and advice from those looking to launch an idea?
Hard work and belief.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

why? so you can steal them? :
Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
A pygmy dwarf brothel for retarded wheezer owners,would take off I reckon..
Brilliant! :
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
rodderz

I know there is one bright spark who i reckon works 24/7, and is on these forums who will be one to look out for over the next few years

Already has the business going, but will take off once the next steps come in to become a household name

As for advice, no matter what the business you have to focus on the goals, work hard early to pay off later, and be great to customers
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Kryton

i have a few business ideas but im not about to tell you what they are.
some are plain obvious and havent yet been done.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

My goals would be:

finish my mechanics apprenticeship,
work as a qualified mechanic for a couple of years,
open my own garage - doing services and light modifications
then down the track expand the business and get into the performance side of the trade.

Thats my goals I have set myself. Now I just need to go get them, by hard work and perserverance.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #9
stera

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
why? so you can steal them? :
There are sections on this site such as, what is your occupation, how much do you earn, how old are you and what do you drive, etc...

I was purely trying to spark some imagination from people looking to own their own business and camaraderie for these people from members that already own their own business and are willing to give advice to others.

I think it’s a good thing for people to want to learn and aim to have money work for them, rather than working for money.

There was a cracker of a show called the Dragon Den where hopeful entrepreneurs would pitch their ideas to successful business people for a golden handshake. It lasted about 6 months!!

Whilst I am not looking to steal anybodys ideas, it is up to the person to share them in the first place. If I see something that interests me that could prevent me from working 9 til 5 until Im 65 years old, I will certainly let them know!!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
A pygmy dwarf brothel for retarded wheezer owners, would take off I reckon..
I'd buy into that Nugget. When do we start.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
stera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
My goals would be:

finish my mechanics apprenticeship,
work as a qualified mechanic for a couple of years,
open my own garage - doing services and light modifications
then down the track expand the business and get into the performance side of the trade.

Thats my goals I have set myself. Now I just need to go get them, by hard work and perserverance.
Thats what Im talking about Chief... Some 8alls to have aspirations!

All the best, Im sure there are plenty of people on the forum that would be happy to assist you also!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

In the next month I will be launching my Tie Business!

The first shipment of 10,000 ties is due to arrive this Wednesday I can't bloody wait...

www.tieland.com.au

The web site is not up yet as we are still fine tuning the format as well as the payment and invoice setup.

Soon enough I will be asking the people of this verry forum to peruse my site and let me know what needs to be changed etc.

Hard work and the right attitude will get you almost anywhere......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #13
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

yes, actually i do... but im sure as hell not telling anyone on a public forum...
and if i did, i would have to kill you....

seriously,

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I've already had my idea ripped off !, a few years back i came up with a magnetic motor that powed itself and could run forever pretty much with no power source, and it also created electricity ( to run lights etc etc ), just as i finished my prototype ( i spent over just over $1000 on parts ! / magnets/springs/alloy cast block etc etc) the idea was created by some other guys too on beyond2000 and they patented the idea just as i finished mine :( .

I got me another idea up my sleeve but im not saying anything on any forums this time ! .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #15
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is probably not a day goes by that i have a new idea, some work, lots don't.

One idea many years ago was that i was the person who wrote the original ad for Solver Paints PROBLEM SOLVERED, wished i had locked that away , i get nothing from it.

Have also developed a complete modular ( lego style) garden kit to reduce and save water, complicated to explain and being worked on by a friend.

Several new ideas in the pipeline in the lines of car care but will need to do more homework on these.

Stera , a good call with what your doing, another thing that has helped me is good advice, i work with a very good accountant / business advisor ( very patient with me ) and i also work with the state gov bus dept and have meetings with them to discuss plans, this helps give an outside but profesional view to any new tasks and can / has stopped me going down wrong paths.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #16
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

Got a few ideas in the works at the moment, I won't go into any detail here though.

As Doc has said, probably the biggest help in getting something up and running is good advice. My parents have both owned/operated successful businesses and are a wealth of knowledge for that fact. Friends of theirs who are business owners have also been a great help.
State govt also has some great resources available to help you find the info you need to get on track.

Biggest hurdle I've found so far wasn't getting the start-up cash together (quitting smoking soon helped there), but having the guts to get off ya bum and take the first step rather than sitting around wondering "But what if this goes wrong..."
All going to plan, I should see the first of my businesses become a reality by the start of the next financial year.
eMpTy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an idea. But I am saying nothing.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

RESEARCH , is very important , no use getting into a business where you're competeing with a market already covered .

Look for a "nitche" in the market that only few , or no-one else is into , make sure it's viable and give it a go . No use in sitting around for a year or so then find out someone is making a mint at it .

In 1989 a couple of mates & myself set up an "Auction Centre" in Sydney liquidating Computer Companies who'd got caught with "bulks" of 286 computers when the 386's were released , one company had $8M in obsolete stock & parts . We were the First in Sydney to do so , even before Hymans , MSG and all the others started . I decided to move back to the country in 1991 & sold my share of the business (which I don't regret) but the business has now evolved into a "Software Import Co." and has a Warehouse/Head Office in Australia , offices in NZ , Malasia , US & UK and my mates are doing "Very Well". (There's probably quite a few of you using the software now)

Essentials = Research , Business knowledge , Very Good Accountant , Client/Customer Target , Keep overheads as low as possible , GUT'S to give it a go , be prepared to work hard the first few years , and Customer Service

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #19
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

yes, I have a couple of ideas for business. I wont yet say what they are , but you will once is start selling product ! I am going to do it with out any financial help from banks or anything so I am setting up at the moment ! the business is to do with muscel cars and maybe some trucks later as well!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #20
SXCXR6
Banned

My idea is to work my guts out for years and years and have a couple of beers now and then and one day own a house and a car and have a family that loves me thats all i need.
SXCXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #21
Ringo
I see you....

I have idea's all the time.....but at the moment they are all on hold....I'm about to get into something else which could be very lucrative for me.

This guy sent me an email recently which promised me heaps of money if I help him to transfer some money around the world. I think he is from Africa, he has no idea about stuff and can barely spell. No wonder he needs help.

I think he sent the email to me accidentaly (shhhhh - I haven't let on. I'm acting like a mate of his...he he he)

Anyway I'm going to help him out and I should make a packet!
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpTy
Biggest hurdle I've found so far wasn't getting the start-up cash together (quitting smoking soon helped there), but having the guts to get off ya bum and take the first step rather than sitting around wondering "But what if this goes wrong..."
Having a bit more cash for insurance in case work is slow to get going is good too.

Hence why I sold my XR8 ute a year ago! The money wasnt really needed in the end, but it was helpful knowing it was there just in case something happened
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #23
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Have a few ideas ive thrown around over the years. Dont think i'll ever pursue them, happy to develop a career in financial services.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #24
SpooN XL

The biggest and hardest step is the very first. It takes guts and good research.

My wife and I opened a small music shop almost three years ago. We now have the Ibanez, ESP, Randall amps and Ashton dealerships. We are now expanding upstairs with some teaching studios and a rehearsal room.

One other bit of advice don’t start a business to give yourself a job, make sure you are constantly working on it not for it…..

I hope that last bit made sense :
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
RESEARCH , is very important , no use getting into a business where you're competeing with a market already covered .

Look for a "niche" in the market that only few , or no-one else is into , make sure it's viable and give it a go . No use in sitting around for a year or so then find out someone is making a mint at it .

Essentials = Research , Business knowledge , Very Good Accountant , Client/Customer Target , Keep overheads as low as possible , GUT'S to give it a go , be prepared to work hard the first few years , and Customer Service
You have hit it on the head.

I have a few idea's... I have done a little research and found to be a market in most of my idea's, although a niche market, it would certianly be profitable... i just need some start up capital... : to cover some of my overheads.

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #26
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
There are sections on this site such as, what is your occupation, how much do you earn, how old are you and what do you drive, etc...

I was purely trying to spark some imagination from people looking to own their own business and camaraderie for these people from members that already own their own business and are willing to give advice to others.

I think it’s a good thing for people to want to learn and aim to have money work for them, rather than working for money.

There was a cracker of a show called the Dragon Den where hopeful entrepreneurs would pitch their ideas to successful business people for a golden handshake. It lasted about 6 months!!

Whilst I am not looking to steal anybodys ideas, it is up to the person to share them in the first place. If I see something that interests me that could prevent me from working 9 til 5 until Im 65 years old, I will certainly let them know!!
just stirring mate.

like the show 'young inventors' or whatever its called.

i study design at uni so all that interests me.

in terms of aspirations,

i'd love to end up designing for ford. but so does every other man and his dog. its a tough industry, so i think i might head into the mod scene designing body kits/custom interiors, installs, whatever.

that would make me happy. very happy.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #27
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I too with a friend am currently working out the financials before we take the plunge.... One thing to remember is in order to be successful you need to take risks. Also be prepared to pump alot of money into a venture expecting to get little return on your money for several months or even a year. Marketing is one of many keys to success; So too is working hard for your goals, both financial and personal.

good luck!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
and i also work with the state gov bus dept
Ah, this would help with getting Pete to and from work via public transport