Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Computer Nerds or Gurus

Hi there

Just bought a Engine Voice Box2 of ebay recently went to install today & I need anothere Ethernet conection on my modem it only has one I was looking on ebay but I could buy from a computer store. If I buy a USB to LAN Adaptor, as I have a spare USB socket on my modem does that give me to Ethernet connections on my modem that can be used in harmony?

Modem is a NetComm NB5 ADSL2 Ethernet/USB Modem Router

Thanks in advance in looking forward to the cheap VOIP calls.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't used a USB>Ethernet connector before, but generally ethernet is known to be more reliable. Perhaps another path to consider is to get a network switch - a 4 port will suffice. This will also allow other PCs/network devices to connect to your network.

As you already have an ADSL2 router, I'd say you don't want to upgrade to a 4 port model so soon. Plugging a 10/100 ethernet switch onto the modem would expand it so you can run your ADSL and your VOIP via ethernet.

Don't know about Adelaide, but Computer Parts Land in Melbourne has an ASUS 8 port switch for $29. Generic 5 port switches sell for $22
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Hi there

Just bought a Engine Voice Box2 of ebay recently went to install today & I need anothere Ethernet conection on my modem it only has one I was looking on ebay but I could buy from a computer store. If I buy a USB to LAN Adaptor, as I have a spare USB socket on my modem does that give me to Ethernet connections on my modem that can be used in harmony?

Modem is a NetComm NB5 ADSL2 Ethernet/USB Modem Router

Thanks in advance in looking forward to the cheap VOIP calls.
log onto the modem and ensure the dhcp server is working , then unplug your computer and add a cheap 4 port switch ($25.00)between the modem and the computer , reboot the computer and it should surf just fine , now plug the phone into the switch and off you go .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
woodsy109

Yeah I would go the network switch.

They are cheap and give you room to expand even more if you want.
I have one even though I just have the one computer connected but I do plug in the laptop sometimes cause I don't have wireless.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably another note - for those in the market for an ADSL modem, the cost between a single port and a 4 port ADSL router is about $15. A small price to pay for future expansion.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Probably another note - for those in the market for an ADSL modem, the cost between a single port and a 4 port ADSL router is about $15. A small price to pay for future expansion.

and for another $15 u get wireless :
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Modem is a NetComm NB5 ADSL2 Ethernet
theres a model up that does voip as well and 4 port router with wireless, then you sign up with a voip service provider....tried the engine thing a while back and well the netcomm voip modem was the best quality..for making calls everyday
engine didnt like innisfail to mackay it was worse than using a mobile on 1 bar reception

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
jonk

Don't ever use the USB connection in lieu of the ethernet. USB slows down your PC bigtime due to large CPU overheads to keep the USB controller open at full speed all the time.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
bEAn86

they are nerds
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bEAn86
they are nerds
nerds that overcharge and make more money per hour than the lower middle class person does per day

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
bEAn86

yes that is them! and remember kids dont bully nerds at highschool becasue you might end up working for one!
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Haven't used a USB>Ethernet connector before, but generally ethernet is known to be more reliable. Perhaps another path to consider is to get a network switch - a 4 port will suffice. This will also allow other PCs/network devices to connect to your network.

As you already have an ADSL2 router, I'd say you don't want to upgrade to a 4 port model so soon. Plugging a 10/100 ethernet switch onto the modem would expand it so you can run your ADSL and your VOIP via ethernet.

Don't know about Adelaide, but Computer Parts Land in Melbourne has an ASUS 8 port switch for $29. Generic 5 port switches sell for $22
Thanks for your replies guys. After reading this & talking to a bloke at AR Computers today ive decided not to go USB>Ethernet Adaptor. I bought a 5 port 10/100M Ethernet switch (brand TP-Link $24.95). I hace my Ethernet lead pluggged into my PC & to my NetComm Router. Then I have another Ethernet lead pluged into Engin Voice Box2 and the TP-Link switch (pc works fine but no VOIP dial tone eg constanrt American type buzz dial tone just regular Aussie dial tone) If I swap Router & TP-Link Ethernet connections around I have VOIP dial tone yay but then I cant get internet :togo: eg cannot connect to this page error; any advice or helpfull hints welcomed.
:

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Thanks for your replies guys. After reading this & talking to a bloke at AR Computers today ive decided not to go USB>Ethernet Adaptor. I bought a 5 port 10/100M Ethernet switch (brand TP-Link $24.95). I hace my Ethernet lead pluggged into my PC & to my NetComm Router. Then I have another Ethernet lead pluged into Engin Voice Box2 and the TP-Link switch (pc works fine but no VOIP dial tone eg constanrt American type buzz dial tone just regular Aussie dial tone) If I swap Router & TP-Link Ethernet connections around I have VOIP dial tone yay but then I cant get internet :togo: eg cannot connect to this page error; any advice or helpfull hints welcomed.
:
Anyone especially know there off for rain again in the cricket.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the modem have DHCP?
Could be that the first device you plug in gets an IP address and the second one doesn't?
If that is the case, then just set your PC to a static IP address and allow the engin box to get one assigned automatically.

Might also want to check out the forums at Whirlpool. www.whirlpool.net.au
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nerds that overcharge and make more money per hour than the lower middle class person does per day

Quote:
yes that is them! and remember kids dont bully nerds at highschool becasue you might end up working for one!
Yes i was picked on at school and Yes I do have the bullys under me now. :

Back to the story. go for the Network Switch Option.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #16
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure about the specs on this modem but, having had a look at it at Netcomm, they *seem* to imply that you connect one PC via USB and use the Ethernet Port for a 2nd computer or, with a Switch, for more.
Have you tried that configuration?

The modem has QoS which is good for your Voice box but *might* only work if the PC is connected via the USB and the ATA via the Ethernet port.

Agree with posts about the preference of using LAN over USB (USB has a bigger overhead) but i'm just not sure what configs your modem supports. I'm near certain someone on the Whirlpool forums will know about this modem.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post