Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

View Poll Results: Which car?
Ford Focus Zetec 8 22.86%
Mazda 3 SP23 / Mazda 6 11 31.43%
Aud A3 / A4 5 14.29%
Subaru Liberty 13 37.14%
Other...? 4 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Default Fiesta to... ?

Hidey ho everyone

its getting time to upgrade from the Fez to something a little larger with more cargo / passenger capacity.

Work life is changing which means that I spend more time going long distance and will need to carry more stuff than comfortably fits in my Fez. Aside from that, I need to be able to haul things around for my little princess (toys, bikes other stuff).

So... here's the poll to get your ideas on which way to go. I anticipate updating within the next 3 months.

Some considerations.... fuel economy, service / maintenance costs, size, fun factor, reliability, comfort, ease of driving... (not necessarily in the order) and whatever else you think is important to consider. Budget is sub $30k which means that some options may be second hand instead of new - no big deal. Build, drive, feel etc must be at least as good as the Fez.

Would be great to have your opinions on the options plus anything I haven't thought of

cheers!

Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I voted for the liberty. My mate has a 2000 2.5L and his parents have a 06model. They are VERY nice and VERY well put together cars.

Id get one myself
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
carazy
Back with Boost!

Falcon wins hands down on most these things.

Buy yourself a second hand BAII for $20k and enjoy.
I know your answer to this will be "fuel costs" but that's crap Falcons are amazing on fuel economy if driven well (considering the size) and you will get a lot of car for the money that fulfills all your other criteria.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
Falcon wins hands down on most these things.

Buy yourself a second hand BAII for $20k and enjoy.
I know your answer to this will be "fuel costs" but that's crap Falcons are amazing on fuel economy if driven well (considering the size) and you will get a lot of car for the money that fulfills all your other criteria.
Lol. By directly comparing a BA XR6 to a 2000 Liberty i can easily say the Liberty craps all over the Falcon
Old 15-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'd have to say a used Honda Accord Euro or SP23 would be the way I'd go. Or if you'd like, a used/new Focus Zetec.

HOWEVER, from what you are after the winner would have to be;

VW Golf 2.0L FSi Comfortline which is currently on sale for $29,990 DRIVE AWAY at your local dealer. Jump on it!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I'd have to say a used Honda Accord Euro or SP23 would be the way I'd go. Or if you'd like, a used/new Focus Zetec.

HOWEVER, from what you are after the winner would have to be;

VW Golf 2.0L FSi Comfortline which is currently on sale for $29,990 DRIVE AWAY at your local dealer. Jump on it!
Cool - thanks for the advice. That's a great price! I tested a base model Golf when the updated model was released and wasn't too impressed with plastics - seemed a little cheap.

I'll definitely go and have a drive of the Comfortline tho!
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
zing

I would have to say go for a Subaru Liberty (3.0R yes please) or Ford Focus? But again those are in two different vehicle size classes. Depends if you have a large family or is it more for just bascially three people (just guessing by what info u gave).

Outside those suggestions i would agree with Teki on a used Honda Accord Euro, or the Golf he suggested. If u actually dont care about resale value then go for a Falcon :

edit: if your selling your fez id me more than interested in the leather gearknob or scuffplates _2:
Old 15-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never heard of an unhappy Subaru owner, they all seem to love em
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Subies are very well put together, and a great car but IMHO (aka flame suit on) most Subaru drivers are the new Volvo driver.....

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Personally from your list I'd get the Focus Zetec. Brand new is best. After having driven a Golf 2.0 FSI Comfortline and a Focus CL, I'd buy the Focus. And I'll bet the Zetec would be a nicer drive then the CL, it's got more toys.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 02:04 AM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'd probably have the FSi over the Zetec, especially if optioned with the 17" VW multispoke rims.

The Zetec would be a second preference.

But, instead of either of these I'd have the Accord Euro. Performance is great (0-100 usually around 7.8-8.1s in Manual), features are certainly up there, as is build quality and it looks elegant. Of course, so it should, given it's a size up from the Focus and Golf.

With regards to the Liberty... unless you need a wagon I'd stay away from them. Why? Underpowered. The Wagon is great because luggage space is huge and it is versatile, plus being stylish (hard to say about a Wagon!). But still, underpowered and aging badly.

Remember, these are only my opinions. Only trying to help and stimulate your mind to think a little harder. The decision is ultimately up to you.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 16-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Im begining to think a certain member of these forums just bought alot of shares in VW
Old 16-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Im begining to think a certain member of these forums just bought alot of shares in VW
Yea, sometimes the arrogance of Ford owners makes me wonder if I'll ever own one again. Love some of their cars though... but that seems to make no difference.

I just think the Golf 2.0L FSi Comfortline at the current price means the price difference between the VW and Ford is substantially less then it was in the past... and hence it's great value now!

I could tell you how much I love the XR4 over the Polo GTI, and the XR5T over the GTI... seems to make no difference.

Old 16-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
I'd probably have the FSi over the Zetec, especially if optioned with the 17" VW multispoke rims.

The Zetec would be a second preference.
Have you driven them? The MkV Golf is COMPLETLEY void of feel. It's not a driver's car. Its an ultra-reliable, ultra high quality mode of transportation for the non-enthusiastic person who just wants to get from A to B.

The steering wheel is beautiful to hold, but then you turn it, and receive zero feedback. The electro-mechanical crap (no steering column, it has an electric motor that turns the wheels) is totally void of feel. Hit any bump you want, any size pothole, you don't feel it in your hands, the steering wheel doesn't jerk one bit.

No feel in the pedals. Never know how hard to press the accelerator, end up either giving too much or too little. The brake pedal is worse, I ended up flying through the windscreen each time because of how difficult it was to read. All in all, a horrible drive.

The Focus is nothing like the above.

:
Old 16-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

did you end up getting your Falcoon?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
did you end up getting your Falcoon?
Not yet. :(

:
Old 16-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Have you driven them? The MkV Golf is COMPLETLEY void of feel. It's not a driver's car. Its an ultra-reliable, ultra high quality mode of transportation for the non-enthusiastic person who just wants to get from A to B.

The steering wheel is beautiful to hold, but then you turn it, and receive zero feedback. The electro-mechanical crap (no steering column, it has an electric motor that turns the wheels) is totally void of feel. Hit any bump you want, any size pothole, you don't feel it in your hands, the steering wheel doesn't jerk one bit.

No feel in the pedals. Never know how hard to press the accelerator, end up either giving too much or too little. The brake pedal is worse, I ended up flying through the windscreen each time because of how difficult it was to read. All in all, a horrible drive.

The Focus is nothing like the above.
Saddly this is how many euro cars are starting to become. The Fiat Punto was exactly the same, had NO feel on the brakes and the steering had no feedback at all and all this on the "Sporting" model.

As for the Liberty being underpowered the Comfortline and Lib has near identical power to weight ratios.

Best thing to do is actually go out and drive these cars and see for yourself which one you like the most. We all have our own biased views but they don't always reflect how you feel.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
Uni

i've driven a 1.9 TDi Golf and it was awful. Sure, it was really, really really comfortable, the gearbox was lovely and smooth, the suspension was very supple, but i got in my focus afterwards and immediately felt more at ease. Why? Because tipping the golf into a corner opened up worlds of body roll i haven't experienced since i was a passenger in the previous model land rover discovery. it's tyres sqealed like a $2 whore, and the interior cabin/boot space was inferior to that of the Focus. for long distance it makes sense, nice comfy ride and so on.. but even bearing that in mind i would still take a focus. or pretty much anything else that isn't a golf.

My preference would be for an Accord Euro. Having been a passenger in a few of these, i have been very, very impressed by them. great to look at, excellent to drive from all reports, gorgeous seats and a top notch stereo, with very little intrusive cabin noise.

ticks all the boxes for me

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
i've driven a 1.9 TDi Golf and it was awful. Sure, it was really, really really comfortable, the gearbox was lovely and smooth, the suspension was very supple, but i got in my focus afterwards and immediately felt more at ease. Why? Because tipping the golf into a corner opened up worlds of body roll i haven't experienced since i was a passenger in the previous model land rover discovery. it's tyres sqealed like a $2 whore, and the interior cabin/boot space was inferior to that of the Focus. for long distance it makes sense, nice comfy ride and so on.. but even bearing that in mind i would still take a focus. or pretty much anything else that isn't a golf.

My preference would be for an Accord Euro. Having been a passenger in a few of these, i have been very, very impressed by them. great to look at, excellent to drive from all reports, gorgeous seats and a top notch stereo, with very little intrusive cabin noise.

ticks all the boxes for me

Uni/.
The 2.0 FSI & 2.0 TDI handle ALOT better then the 1.6 & 1.9 TDI. The 1.6 & 1.9 TDI are the poverty pack Golfs, while the 2.0 FSI & 2.0 TDI are the premium ones.

:
Old 16-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
Uni

Ahh ok, thanks for the correction

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Steffo can you explain what you mean. You just referred to the 2.0L FSi and TDi as handling ALOT bettter then the base models... yet you previously claimed the whole range as having a lack of feel etc. Care to elaborate?

Sure, there is no steering rattle or much feel. Yet, when a car does have steering rattle, people say it feels cheap and is too harsh. Seems you can't exactly win in todays world, can you?

I've been in a 2.0L FSi and wouldn't say it is completely lacking in feel and isn't a driver's car. I mean... no need to be that harsh on it. It's a great car, as is the whole range. Sure, technology has sometimes taken over the basics... but I still think ruling out the MK5 due to one generalisation is a little too dramatic. Bodyroll I guess would depend... did you drive a Trendline (1.6L), Comfortline or Sportline? The Fiesta wasn't exactly free of body roll (which car around this price range is?)

I mean, the Accord Euro driven at 10/10ths is an understeering pig with heaps of understeer and bodyroll. Still, drive it at 8/10ths and it has plenty of power, poise and grip.

Sort of depends on your expectations. The 2.0L FSi Golf is a big car - it's comfortable, family oriented with features, quality, safety and dynamics (which aren't too bad). So, that's for around $30k. If you tell the salesman you want something more driver focused, around that price range, I'm sure they will send you into the Polo GTI, which doesn't fit the criteria of being bigger then a Fiesta, and practical.

Old 17-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #22
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Steffo can you explain what you mean. You just referred to the 2.0L FSi and TDi as handling ALOT bettter then the base models... yet you previously claimed the whole range as having a lack of feel etc. Care to elaborate?

Sure, there is no steering rattle or much feel. Yet, when a car does have steering rattle, people say it feels cheap and is too harsh. Seems you can't exactly win in todays world, can you?

I've been in a 2.0L FSi and wouldn't say it is completely lacking in feel and isn't a driver's car. I mean... no need to be that harsh on it. It's a great car, as is the whole range. Sure, technology has sometimes taken over the basics... but I still think ruling out the MK5 due to one generalisation is a little too dramatic. Bodyroll I guess would depend... did you drive a Trendline (1.6L), Comfortline or Sportline? The Fiesta wasn't exactly free of body roll (which car around this price range is?)

I mean, the Accord Euro driven at 10/10ths is an understeering pig with heaps of understeer and bodyroll. Still, drive it at 8/10ths and it has plenty of power, poise and grip.

Sort of depends on your expectations. The 2.0L FSi Golf is a big car - it's comfortable, family oriented with features, quality, safety and dynamics (which aren't too bad). So, that's for around $30k. If you tell the salesman you want something more driver focused, around that price range, I'm sure they will send you into the Polo GTI, which doesn't fit the criteria of being bigger then a Fiesta, and practical.
The 1.6 and 1.9 TDI have a different suspension setup. The hardware is the same, but the 2.0s are a bit firmer, wallow less etc. They still all have the same problem, total lack of feel whatsoever. Its like driving a couch.

Have you actually driven a 2.0 FSI or just been passenger to it? "I've been in a 2.0 FSI," is pretty vague. They're completley void of feel. Obviously aimed at the person who wants a family orientated, economical, ultra-reliable hatch and has no interest in real driving.

:
Old 18-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The 1.6 and 1.9 TDI have a different suspension setup. The hardware is the same, but the 2.0s are a bit firmer, wallow less etc. They still all have the same problem, total lack of feel whatsoever. Its like driving a couch.

Have you actually driven a 2.0 FSI or just been passenger to it? "I've been in a 2.0 FSI," is pretty vague. They're completley void of feel. Obviously aimed at the person who wants a family orientated, economical, ultra-reliable hatch and has no interest in real driving.
Sorry. Driven. Sure, lacked feel... but as you mention, it's not for 'real' drivers. Those markets are targeted with the Golf GTI.

Still think it was a much better drive then the Mazda3 I drove. That lacked feel too... the electric steering : When parking all you hear is the steering hissing as the electronics are hard at work.

Old 18-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Sorry. Driven. Sure, lacked feel... but as you mention, it's not for 'real' drivers. Those markets are targeted with the Golf GTI.

Still think it was a much better drive then the Mazda3 I drove. That lacked feel too... the electric steering : When parking all you hear is the steering hissing as the electronics are hard at work.
It has the potential to be good if they can get it right. But at the moment... zero feedback... not good. Hence why BMW dumped electro-mechanical steering for conventional for the M5, new M3 etc etc.

:
Old 03-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #25
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1st: liberty, they look hot and classy in black also i think they are awd.
2nd : focus, my gramps has one and they are so smooth
3rd: mazda 3 sp23. they go very hard but i'm unsure of price when brand new
4th mazda 6. look great, handle great. unsure of price brand new though.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #26
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1st - Liberty - Safety, Looks, Size, Handling, Performance, Load Carrying (wagon)

2nd - Mazda 6/3 - Very close second

Focus is built in Sth Africa :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post