Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
n1kol1s
Starter Motor

Default Is it under warranty? Or not?

Hello all.
I own a ford focus st170 with 24.000 on the clock and the car still is under the factory warranty. Last friday I was driving to work and after taking off at the trafic lights the clutch gave up on the 4gear . From first to third, everything was ok, but when I switched to fourth the clutch went hard and started slipping.
I managed to take it to a work shop and they adjusted the clutch so I could drive it home.
Now I can hear a noise coming from the gearbox that disapears when press on clutch and it is slipping. Is it wear and tear or is it worth it for me to fight for a waranty repair?

Thanks
nikolis

n1kol1s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kol1s
Hello all.
I own a ford focus st170 with 24.000 on the clock and the car still is under the factory warranty. Last friday I was driving to work and after taking off at the trafic lights the clutch gave up on the 4gear . From first to third, everything was ok, but when I switched to fourth the clutch went hard and started slipping.
I managed to take it to a work shop and they adjusted the clutch so I could drive it home.
Now I can hear a noise coming from the gearbox that disapears when press on clutch and it is slipping. Is it wear and tear or is it worth it for me to fight for a waranty repair?

Thanks
nikolis
fight for a warranty repair i say...get as much as possible done under warranty otherwise $$$

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I would have thought a clutch is a "wear and tear" item. However, it never hurts to ask.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Kryton

a clutch is wear and tear but it shouldnt go at 24000km unless youve been giving it a hammering.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
n1kol1s
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
a clutch is wear and tear but it shouldnt go at 24000km unless youve been giving it a hammering.
I do,I was at the time, but not all the time. The front tyres are still new 95%. No sign of hammering at all.

Do I need to relace the flywheel or it can be machined?

Last edited by n1kol1s; 06-11-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
Blue_ST170

at 20,000km or so i need a whole new clutch assembly and flywheel........prolly the way I drive it and the time on the track......

Tried to get ford to cover it but they said normal wear and tear so its not under warranty.......only if its broken but not if its worn out......

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 AM   #7
amlohac

I would preety much guarentee its wear and tear. I know from experience that Subaru dont care at what stage you blow your clutch you have to pay for a new one, its not covered at all. So god knows what fords stance on the issue is.

Its one of those very grey areas. IF its really faulty, as in a manufacturing fault then they will replace it for nothing. But good luck proving it.

But like photn said, fight your **** off before you give in.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ST170
at 20,000km or so i need a whole new clutch assembly and flywheel........prolly the way I drive it and the time on the track......

Tried to get ford to cover it but they said normal wear and tear so its not under warranty.......only if its broken but not if its worn out......
And to be honest I think it's only fair that it be considered wear and tear, since track use and hard driving both put extra pressure on it. Agreed it definitely sounds early, but you have said yourself you drive it hard. Mine went at 45,000km and was driven fairly hard all along.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
n1kol1s
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ST170

I only drive my car on the strets,not on a track and i dont burn my tyres every time I take off. Thats why Im ****ed off.
Is there a heavy duty clutch kit out there for the st170??
Old 07-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kol1s
Hello all.

Thanks
nikolis

I think the noises might incidate the clutch or gearbox is damaged or broken.
If i were you i would ring ford and say the cars gearbox has been making funny noises over the past few days and you are concerned... then tommorow ring back and say your wife was driving it to the shopping centre when you recieved a phone call saying the car had broken down and refused to go into gear properly and refused to move. it felt as though it had no clutch and was making a weird ticking noise.

See if they can refuse that even if you dont have a wife
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Come on N1kol1s, you've already said you give it a hammering, and you were giving it a hammering when it went, so fair's fair.

It will be a wear and tear item guaranteed.

Here is a starting point for heavy duty clutches for ST170 (or SVT in the U.S.)

http://www.focussport.com/clutch.htm
http://www.newedgeperformance.com/in...ROD&ProdID=290

The info I've seen from the states says the stock clutch is fine even for big turbo power upgrades, but you'll toast it if you do burnouts. Think about it.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post