Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wireless network - where do I start?

Hi everyone, as stated in the title i need to set-up a wireless network in the house but don't exactly know where to begin. I understand the basics of a wireless system but i'm by no means an expert so easy on the EBD, ABS, ESP, Cruise control computer jargon

OK, so basically what i want to do is establish a wireless internet connection to give both my PC and laptop simultaneous access to the net, but i also want to be able to access/store/transfer info onto the PC while working on the laptop elsewhere - and vice versa. I'm 99% sure the laptop has an inbuilt wireless card (it picks up wireless systems in the area) while the PC has no network card at the moment as it is a 6yo (P3 600MHz) donkey. Therefore my questions are:

- what sort of network card do i need for the PC?
- what router will i need to give me the functionality i'm after?
- how do i go about establishing a secure wireless system?
- can i somehow set the printers up to work wirelessly?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Anth

chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
OK, so basically what i want to do is establish a wireless internet connection to give both my PC and laptop simultaneous access to the net, but i also want to be able to access/store/transfer info onto the PC while working on the laptop elsewhere - and vice versa. I'm 99% sure the laptop has an inbuilt wireless card (it picks up wireless systems in the area) while the PC has no network card at the moment as it is a 6yo (P3 600MHz) donkey. Therefore my questions are:

- what sort of network card do i need for the PC?
- what router will i need to give me the functionality i'm after?
- how do i go about establishing a secure wireless system?
- can i somehow set the printers up to work wirelessly?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Anth
any network card will do in the 'donkey' machine preferably in my opinion netgear and a netgear router with built in modem

secure network well on the router it self usually 192.168.2.1 ?? double check that theres an option for max address filtering, as well as WEP i think WPA is stronger or vice versa?? use a alphanumeric password (letters and numbers)

then on the other comps use the wizard to set up the networks all should be self explanatory....you cant go wrong

printer - only if it has a wireless option on it??? or if it has an ethernet connection or you have to plug it into one machine and share it.. so it wont work without that machine turned on

sharing right click on the folder the stuff you want shared and go sharing and security..then share this folder on the network...then in my network places it either should pop up or click view workgroup computers and the other should be there (if same workgroup name) otherwise hit the up a level button (folder with green arrow pointing up) and there should be other workgroups there now, double click and there you go...do the same on other computers
then remember to unshare the folders.

good luck
PS gimme a yell if you still need help

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Type of router: It depends. Are you connecting to ADSL internet? If so do you have an existing modem?

If you have an existing ADSL/Cable modem just buy a wireless router. Or if you have an existing wired router, you can get away with a wireless access point.

If you don't have an ADSL modem, buy an ADSL modem, and wireless router all in one.

Features you'll want: WPA (you need support on both the router and any wireless cards you buy - most, if not all new equipment will have this.

Definately get an 54g wireless router at a minimum. Get one with a faster wireless standard if you can afford it.

You may want to buy a normal wired card for the desktop computer - they're a bit cheaper and faster. (The more wireless clients you have on the one access point/router the slower the network. It's not really a problem with only two clients though.)

You won't be able to wirelessly use a usb printer, unless the computer it's connected to is on.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
OldManGhia

I set up a wireless connection for a customer the other day using a Telstra wireless, modem router. USB wireless connection on the PC, no cables required. Ran Install CD set the whole thing up easy as. Contact Bigpond and upgrade to wireless adsl. As for printer there is the Brother 115C that has a network connection. Cheap printer, separate ink tanks, a really good cheap home office printer. Just connect directly to the router and access from any computer at any time. As for Netgear routers you will need to connect to the router witha cable to set them up but once setup you can remove the cable and use the wireless connection.

Wireless connections will only slow down if everyone uses the wireless network at the same time. ie downloading music or whatever at the same time, but that happens with any network.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
StookEB

what ISP are you with at the moment?
If you can talk to telstra about getting ADSL with the wireless router, you get the standard modem for free, but the wireless one is about $100 extra. Setting it up is easy the CD does it all. Try not to use the USB port on a network because it's alot slower and it takes the computer a longer time to detect it and set it up.
Try getting a printer like what has been said above.
Old 22-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies so far guys, i'm slowly working my way through all the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes_meat
Type of router: It depends. Are you connecting to ADSL internet? If so do you have an existing modem?

If you have an existing ADSL/Cable modem just buy a wireless router. Or if you have an existing wired router, you can get away with a wireless access point.

If you don't have an ADSL modem, buy an ADSL modem, and wireless router all in one.

Features you'll want: WPA (you need support on both the router and any wireless cards you buy - most, if not all new equipment will have this.

Definately get an 54g wireless router at a minimum. Get one with a faster wireless standard if you can afford it.

You may want to buy a normal wired card for the desktop computer - they're a bit cheaper and faster. (The more wireless clients you have on the one access point/router the slower the network. It's not really a problem with only two clients though.)

You won't be able to wirelessly use a usb printer, unless the computer it's connected to is on.
I've currently got ADSL with iprimus being used via their standard modem. Is there any benefit by having a combined modem/router as opposed to a modem + router system? I'm assuming its just a matter of convenience..

I'm currently looking at the following netgear router and laptop card:

Router: http://www.netgear.com.au/products/p...odID=214&view=

Card: http://www.netgear.com.au/products/p...odID=213&view=

Netgear also have a wireless PCI adapter for the desktop but i can't justify the $160 when the modem and desktop are 0.5m away from eachother. As suggested I'll look into getting a standard 'wired' network card to go from the desktop to the router.

I've taken a closer look at the printers and i think i'll have to leave them as hardwired components. The HP DeskJet 948c only has a serial and USB port, and the wireless 'server' for Brother laser printer is around $180..
Old 22-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

DEFINATELY just buy any "wired" LAN card for the PC if it is only next to the modem...no point going wireless there as you said...

Also, it is just convenience having a modem/router in one...no real other difference...

Easiest way with the printer (assuming it is connected to the PC) is just sharing it over the network, so it will still be accessible to any computer on the network, wireless or otherwise...
Old 22-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Easiest way with the printer (assuming it is connected to the PC) is just sharing it over the network, so it will still be accessible to any computer on the network, wireless or otherwise...
The desktop is always on (sleep mode) so does it matter if the printer is connected via serial port or USB? I'll be more than happy if i can print on the HP printer (connected to the desktop) wirelessly with the laptop. When i want to print on the laser printer i'll just plug the laptop in via USB..
Old 23-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

It can be slightly trickier with both an ADSL modem and wireless router instead of an all-in-one unit, you need to set them up on different sub-nets. But I can, or your ADSL tech support guys can walk you through that.

Connect the printer with the USB. Serial just sucks.

How much is that router going for? It looks pretty good, but don't pay through the nose for it. Same with the wireless card.

Definately get a 10/100 ethernet card for the desktop. Won't cost more than $20, if you're in Adelaide I've got one you can have for nothing (I have a few.)

It's faster, more reliable and much cheaper than the wireless equivelent.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It can be slightly trickier with both an ADSL modem and wireless router instead of an all-in-one unit, you need to set them up on different sub-nets. But I can, or your ADSL tech support guys can walk you through that.
Thanks for the support - i'll keep you posted when i get the router.

Quote:
Connect the printer with the USB. Serial just sucks.
I ran out of USB ports on the donkey desktop so i just connected it on the serial. I'll have to get myself a USB adapter..

Quote:
How much is that router going for? It looks pretty good, but don't pay through the nose for it. Same with the wireless card.
The router is around $106 and the card around $50

Quote:
Definately get a 10/100 ethernet card for the desktop. Won't cost more than $20, if you're in Adelaide I've got one you can have for nothing (I have a few.)

It's faster, more reliable and much cheaper than the wireless equivelent.
Ethernet card it is! I'll get them to bundle everything together for me... router, wireless card, ethernet card and USB adapter.
Old 25-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whirlpool would be a better place to find out this sort of information.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...ds.cfm?f=9&g=3
That is a link to the wireless networking forum. Should hopefully give you plenty of things to read :P