Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
superyob
Banned

Default Superyob Sunday

Hello all. You know what time it is? Yes, that’s right, it’s Superyob Sunday!!! Hopefully a singularly resilient commercial does the right thing and stops interfering so as not to have this vitally informative thread sent to Alaska…

I’ll start with a joke that a student of mine recently told me. If FoMoCo is an abbreviation of Ford Motor Company, what is Holden Motor Company called? Yes that’s right. I think there’s something in that for all of us…

Ok today’s SS theme is something that not even Hu… I mean Voldermort had the courage (or stupidity) to initiate.

Many years ago, when I taught English (this was my subject area when I went through teacher training at uni) I was examining a text with my class, looking at how females are usually portrayed in a passive role, while males are the ones who like to take charge. An analogy I used was that manual cars are almost always marketed to blokes because they like to take control of most situations, while females like to sit back and have things done for them, hence they prefer automatics.

Now before you unload your wrath on me and scream things like ‘chauvinist pig’ and liken me to Heinrich Himmler, I am a 100% fan of the female species, and have 2 daughters, both of whom drive manual cars. My conundrum for today however, is: despite the bombast and bluster of the 21st century, do men still expect to take charge of any situation while women prefer a more passive role?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: