Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Rusty62
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default We are so lucky...

Imagine if this happened in Australia:
Last week in Beijing, a new traffic rule came into force. To reduce traffic congestion, private cars with number plates ending in certain digits have been banned from being driven on public roads for 24 hours.
Not sure exactly how it works, but something like this:
Each day they pick two different digits say 3 and 6, then next day 2 and 4 and so on - any private cars with number plates ending in either of these two digits are banned from use for 24hrs. I think the numbers are decided on a 3 month roster and rotated daily so you do get some notice that you can't use your car on certain days but imagine the headaches this would cause - basically you can only use your car for 4 business days per week - unless you have multiple cars, but the cost is out of reach for almost everyone here. Only about 3% of the total Chinese population actually have cars.
The traffic here is absolutely a nightmare, no-one wears seat belts, (most cars don't even have belts and many fairly new cars only have front belts) or wear helmets on motorcycles or bicycles, its very common to see car drivers and even scooter riders on the mobile while driving too with 3 or more people on board. Only saving grace is that the traffic is so heavy you can't really speed - average town speed is about 40kph.
I've seen many great cars here - Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari and even a Lambo Contach but what a waste having a car like this here.
Thankfully the public transport is quite good and most of the time quicker than driving anywhere in the city but of course almost all buses and trains are packed full like sardine cans.
We are really so lucky and I am so looking forward to getting home firing up each of my toys and going for a decent blast to blow the cobwebs out out of each of them - the best part is I can do this any day I feel like it!

2011 FG GT-P #138 BLOWN 5.0, Auto, Vanish
2003 BA G220 Lighting Strike/Black leather
2007 BF Mk2 Fairmont Ghia 4.0, ZF in Ego/Cream Leather
1989 Daihatsu Rocky 4x4 - for the bush
2015 Nissan Patrol - for the long drive to the bush
2014 BMW R1200GS
2009 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
plus the boat and trailer...fark that’s 9 regos and insurances each year
Rusty62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post