The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Carsguide is at it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Balljoints. All SX and SY vehicles were/are subject to a free recall replacement of the said troublesome parts. Not all have had issues with them. Ford is not the only manufacturer to have had faulty ball joints either. Ford could have handled the issue better in the early days and now they have damaged the brand by delaying implementation of a recall. The mud has well and truly stuck, and will never be forgotten, although the real truth will be forgotten.

Bagging the ZF. If you bag the ZF, every other automatic on the planet must be called "a bucket of faeces ready to explode at any moment in your face" in comparison. The ZF, a German engineered, incredible gearbox, is one of the best automatics ever built. BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, and a heap of other big name manufacturers have or do use the same ZF 6spd used by Ford. There are two things that will damage the ZF. The poxy heat exchanger used by Ford can and does corrode through filling the box with coolant which is instant death for it. The other thing is 500+kW at the flywheel which tends to snap input shafts. But these are things that would do damage to any gearbox and are not related to the design of the ZF, but other things. True they are expensive to fix, but if treated correctly and serviced correctly (They're not sealed for life - don't believe that for a second) they should last for ages.

I wonder how many ZF's have failed that have nothing to do with a failed heat exchanger or enormous amounts of power and torque being pushed through them. I bet that there would be next to none at all.

As for the article, all second hand cars should be treated with caution. Who walks up to a second hand car with intent to purchase, reads an internet article on their common faults, and then buys one without checking it out?
To add, "approach with caution" as if the whole product is a ticking time bomb, at the end of the article is unfair. But that's the Holden blood flowing through his veins. Remember the VL Commode is fully sick.
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person to take issue with the bias bollocks spewing from the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I posted in the Territory section a few days ago..
Sorry mate... but it does get more exposure here. I mean... who doesn't visit The Pub?