Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Default Re: 2013 Ford Fusion

Seeing as I raised the point (and my comments were on the Fusion not the MKZ), why does it matter? Well I'd estimate that most days I would scrape the front of my (work) car on a driveway or over a speed hump despite taking reasonable care. Its not something that I enjoy, nor is slowing down to tippy-toe speeds to cross a gutter.

It's not necessarily about the length of the front end of the car, fwd cars tend to have a minimal clearance from the a pillar to axle, related to the transverse engine layout ahead of the axle. It can be reversed to have the engine behind the wheels - see Toyota iQ - which would also improve weight distribution. All for the cost of having the front wheels a bit further forward, the only downsides I can see is a slightly larger turning circle and the front suspension/wheels would be a bit more vulnerable in a crash but by that severity it doesn't really matter. For the VE Commodore they relocated the front axle on the chassis rails. (perhaps because they knew they would also be basing the Camaro off the platform?)

In any case it was just an observation on the way the whole industry is going, not intended to stir up controversy!

Finally I think the picture Wretched posted is fairly easily explained, the 2.0 Ecoboost is a mainstream/launch engine and the US has a large proportion of sales as AWD, it makes sense that combination is available. Also I think the hybrid model is most often seen in light blue, you can pick it by the round charging port cover on the LH front guard.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post