Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Default Re: First Drive: Falcon Ecoboost

I'm actually quite excited by the Ecoboost range and the Ecoboost 4 Falcon. From an engineering point of view it's amazing. Being able to make multiple injections directly into the cylinder as it's firing is awesome technology and means that the whole ignition characteristics of the engine can be controlled, which in real terms means you can up the compression sky high for a turbo engine and even the boost can go up over a regular motor, which amounts to greater torque and power from a much smaller engine.

Now what I would like to see is Ford or even Orbital design a direct injection LPi injector (not sure if this has been done yet) and system. With LPG having an octane number above 100, the power advantages are even greater, with higher compression and boost being theoretically possible. Imagine a 220kW Ecoboost Falcon 4 with 400Nm of torque from 1500-4800 rpm and getting 8L/100km on LPG!!!!!!!!!! That would be a quantum leap in car design.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post