Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Default Regaining the acoustic inlet sound on a supercharged motor

Hi everyone,
Its been some years since I last posted on this website, particularly Blue Power Racing's site. I talk to Chris from time to time and regard him as a very special friend and I know the relationship is mutual.
The reason for this post is that I still have the 2004 GT-P in metallic manderin with the fully upgraded motor and Chris's supercharged Kenne Bell kit fitted with intercooler putting out 400KW at the rear wheels. It has all the suspension mods with the full Tein kit and electronics, KPM 1000hp halfshafts,Truetrac diff fitted by Harrop, Whiteline stabilizer bars front and rear, suspension bushes, Herrod exhaust system, Chris's CAI, three gauges, Chris's upgraded fuel pump system, etc, etc, and the car has only done 5300km and never been raced or dragged. The car is auto and is for sale.
The reason for the sale is I have bought a new supercharged Jaguar XKR coupe, special edition by Ian Callum. Only 77 produced and only 10 came to Australia.
Now the main reason for the post.
As we know, the FPV V8 GT has a glorious acoustic inlet sound under load which we lose when we supercharge the car. Well the Jaguar still has a glorious inlet sound on its 5 litre, all aluminium, direct injected, dual variable cam timing, dual overhead camshaft V8 supercharged motor. It puts out 375KW. The reason is as follows: "In addition to the fully active exhaust in which valves open to provide a more rewarding note, the new XKR has been engineered to provide an intake feedback system to enhance the V8 sound character commonly absent on supercharged engines. Intake manifold pressure pulsations are fed into an acoustic filter at the rear of the engine that is tuned to provide an edgy sports car 'crescendo' at high revs. The filter is controlled by the engine management system, which only allows the sound to enter the cabin under the appropriate driving conditions.
The new intake feedback system combined with the fully active exhaust system provides the most exhilarating aural experience yet delivered on a Jaguar".
After first driving the car I can only say that the sound under load is the most glorious V8 sound the I have heard yet!! Pity that we can't reproduce this technology on our supercharged GT's and GT-P's.
Cheers, Ian.

Aussie MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post