Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
FCleader
John

Default Re: Junkies vs Hoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
What cities in what countries? How many of those with HIV were not users?
This sounds awfully like a 'case study' and they are never biased towards a particular outcome. (End sarcasm)

No, our roads are not made for racing, or misbehaving, nor are our parks are made for junkies to shoot up in. Yet only one gets a solution.
The other has to pay for themselves if they are lucky enough to have a facility near them.

Skidpans, drift tracks, drag strips are just ideas, subsidised gokarts could be another.

I'd like to see some stats on how many innocent people are killed each year by 'hooning' accidents. By innocent I mean the passengers of the car that was t-boned after 'hoon' ran a red light, the passengers of the car that was hit head on after 'hoon' lost control of their car on a bend, passengers that didnt want to be in the car with 'hoon' before they hit a tree.
I'm not sure the figures are recorded in a fashion that would allow this though.
The city with the program was Liverpool, England. Specifically a housing estate with 22,000 families living in it, and in order to get the drugs/needles exchanged you have to have regular counselling, they don't just handout drugs to users.
The city without the program is New York City, and I was saying there are approx. 200,000 drug injectors half of which have HIV, so of the 200,000 drug injectors, 100,000 have HIV. Im not including people who contracted HIV through other means. (The lecturer hasn't referrenced this info, so take it with a grain of salt if you so wish).

If you're after statistics go the Australian Bureau of Statistics and do some research.
As for how many people are killed by hoons I dont think the data is that specific, but in 2009 1417 people died from land transport accident, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....A?opendocument, however in 2001 1,038 people died from drug induced deaths. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@..../3321.0.55.001 (I know this is old but its the latest data I could find).
So I would say more people die from drugs than hooning as those statistics include all deaths caused by vehicles and is not specific to hooning.

And like I said before hoons can make a conscience decision not to hoon and go the drags, drug users aren't in a proper state of mind and are addicted therefore need help.
'Hoons' have to pay because drag racing and circuit racing and so on are hobbies and the government shouldn't have to fund your hobby.

Im not saying hooning is any less of a problem, but subsidising activities for hoons is ridiculous, how do you prove you're a hoon, you can't. So you could just rock up to go karts and say "Hey, I'm a hoon I want the government discount thanks" and have a fun day with your mates/kids/family whatever, which is then rewarding people for stupid behaviour.

Giving government money tohelp people who are a detriment to society ie, drug users, isn't the best use for it, however, rewarding people for making a conscience decision to endanger someones life is worse.
FCleader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post