Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #31
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84
Meh, I see it as different coloured trains and few staff turned over. United still have the maintenance contract. Just a shuffle of the chairs. Back around in a circle we go.
:

Why can't they just pick a freakin' name/colour scheme and stick with it... what's wrong with Metlink?

How much money are they going to spend re-branding stations and the rolling stock? Couldn't this money be better spent improving the stuff that matters - like the infrastructure?

The government should own the branding IP, and license it to the operator as part of the deal...

:
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #32
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
explain why melbourne airport doesnt have a rail system linked to it like all other major citys?
I have nothing to back this up, but I heard rumours a few years back that, as part of the Citylink agreement with Transurban, the government agreed that they wouldn't implement any public transport links (rail/light rail) to the airport for the duration of the agreement. I guess the reasoning behind this is that it would guarantee more traffic along the Tullamarine Freeway.
Old 27-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #33
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
I have nothing to back this up, but I heard rumours a few years back that, as part of the Citylink agreement with Transurban, the government agreed that they wouldn't implement any public transport links (rail/light rail) to the airport for the duration of the agreement. I guess the reasoning behind this is that it would guarantee more traffic along the Tullamarine Freeway.
Theres multiple reasons and multiple spots for it and they have the rail reserve set aside so they COULD do it quite easily but.........

They would have to pay compensation to citylink, they just built that new ramp at essendon and new shopping centre and expansion of essendon airport etc.

Also if your running cars how many lobbists and lobby groups have you got? (think cars manufactures, taxi companies, petrol companies, parking operators, rent a car companies, bus operators plus many more) versus 1 little person going oh build me a rail line please........

Plus the fact the rail network can't even keep up with what it has got let alone building more theres way to many other rail projects that urgently need the money versus something that is being heavily lobbied against.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #34
cycle myth

Your points sound and seem probably right.

The issue is really doing the right thing for Melbourne and the people who live there.... so we can count on the government doing stuff all about this as they have no idea.

World's most livable city??

Increased pollution, poor mass transit network, road congestion, more time in traffic, increased pollution, urban sprawl, pressure on housing, cost of living, = reduce quality of life.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #35
balthazarr

So much for the conspiracy theory... according to these documents -

http://www.contracts.vic.gov.au/majo...ssion_Deed.pdf
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...0/ExhibitJ.pdf

- the only consequence of a new rail link to the airport (that I could find) is that Transurban is no longer required to have dedicated bus/taxi lanes on the Tulla (clause 2.4(i) of the Deed & Exhibit J).
Old 28-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #36
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Don't get me wrong I am 100% behind 2 projects in melbourne.

1. Train line to the airport
2. An actual RING road - I personally believe this could be the best thing for melbourne second only to a train line to the airport.

But when you got 50 lobbists to 1 for the train line and thousands of established wealthy greenies for the second I ain't holding my breath. But we can all dream.........

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #37
18htan
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Can I be the bearer of bad news having had worked for Connex I can tell you the only thing that change is the uniform and the stickers on the side of the train. It's exactly the same drivers, signallers, managers, fitters, ticket inspectors etc

All that changes is the uniform and the stickers.
Something tells me there will be a lot more changes than that.

Obviosuly they are not going to replace and retrain all the staff, but some fat cats heads will roll. MTR will want to look like it is actually doing something.

Either way Connex or MTR... It will be hard to manage an outdated system lacking funded.

MTR is going to have there work cut out for them.

63 Chev Belair Project. Injected 454, Built Turbo700 and a 9 inch
18htan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post