Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
XRX
Starter Motor

Default metal wire found in new K&N filter. WARNING

A warning about loose metal in K&N air filters.

I just bought a new K&N air filter for my 6 month old car. I opened the K&N box and pulled out the filter still in it's sealed bag, I opened the bag and had a look at the new filter. I found a piece of metal wire on the engine side of the filter! The piece of wire is the same as used in the construction of the filter and about one inch (2.5cm) long!

I would hate to image what this would have done to my engine had I just installed the filter without looking at it!

I sent an email with a photo of the wire to Rocket Industries who import the filters into Australia, and also to K&N in the US.

The response I got from Rocket Industries was;
"There is no way that that piece of wire has come loose from the filter. It is a scrap off cut from the manufacturing process. As long as there are no more loose pieces of wire on the filter then the filter would be 100% serviceable. Though if you "have no confidence in the filter" then send it back to the store you purchased it from and get a refund."

My reaction to this is, ah well it's just a piece of scrap, must be alright then!

The response I got from K&N was;
"Thank you for your interest in K&N products. I apologize for the metal in your filter. While we do have an extensive quality control procedure in place, mistakes can happen."

My reaction to this is, ah well mistakes can happen, guess I'll just rebuild my engine for something to do!

I am, extremely disappointed in their responses, considering what a large company K&N is and their reputation.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah their position is completely understandable....

you dont make mistakes?

stuff happens, but dont expect them to give you some compensation.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

and after re-reading your post, you found it before anything happened anyway.

So perhaps your warning should be, check the filter before installing and driving. Which would make sense anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found the same thing a piece of wire about a inch or so long b4 i fitted to my car about 4 months old just removed it & im very happy with the filter.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Same thing with genuine oil filters, run your finger around the threaded neck, you'll be surprised at the bits of tiny swarf that you pick up from the thread when it was cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
XRX
Starter Motor

I guess I'm most disapointed in K&N's and Rocket Industries responses, I would have thought that they would be interested in any quality issues with their products. I thought they might ask for a bit more detail from me in regards to when and where I purchased the filter from and any batch number so that they could track down any manufacturing issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k&n metal.JPG (55.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 04-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

you should always, i mean ALWAYS, inspect new parts before fitting them.....
its careless if you dont.

as mentioned you saw it, removed it, fitted the filter to your car..... this means you had full confidence in the filter.........but then you sent emails off to people.....
Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

mate I understand that you were upset....but dont forget how many of these things they make, its certainly not done by hand.

Show me one mass produced product that has a perfect record?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

from memory there was a little bit in the box of my filter too.......perhaps its spare so you can repair any damaged segments
Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
XRX
Starter Motor

It's a bit disappointing when spent cash on something for your car that you think might be a benefit, but then you realise it could have totally F'ed your engine. And the importer and manufacturer don't give a toss! It's not like I bought some dodgy $5 Chinese piece of junk, I bought a well known brand, I though they might have been a bit more interesret in their product, and no I'm not after any compensation.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting... http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=51592
Old 04-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

word for word....
Old 04-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Similar thing happened to me with a set of EAGLE plug leads. There was some exposed wiring from the internal spiral wire casing beneath the silicone jacket. The exposed wire protruded just before the plug side boot. I saw spark jump from this wire one evening when it was dark and I was fiddling under the bonnet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crapped myself. Removed the lead took it back and had it replaced.
Eventually got rid of the whole set and purchased the Magnecor 8.8 race series.

I guess anything that is mass manufactured is bound to have some sort of defect rate. It's just bad luck when you're one of the few percent that ends up drawing the short straw............. :nutsycuck

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 04-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

yeah its in ls1.com aswell...and i will respond the same...some oil elements are nasty lil buggers and i question if they give any peformance increase...i once asked a chick in Repco and she rekon she put one on her VT and gained 5rwkw....bwwahahahahaha
Old 04-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
XRX
Starter Motor

Question

I make no appologies for starting the same thread in multiple forums.

I came across a part that had the potential to wreck my engine so I thought I would let others know to possibly prevent someone wrecking their engine.

I must have misunderstood the forum concept, I always thought it was to share info, good or bad.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe you shouldve taken rocket's advice and got your money back....
Obviously you arent happy with it.
Whenever you buy anything your best to check it out before use.
I have K&N filters in both vehicles and have had no probs what so ever.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

XRX, just wondering what else you expected from the supplier and manufacturer? The manufacturer would be making them by the thousands and the supplier has offered a full refund for the product if you were not happy with it.

It is expected of anyone to clean anything visible off a part before fitting it surely?!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #18
XRX
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
XRX, just wondering what else you expected from the supplier and manufacturer? The manufacturer would be making them by the thousands and the supplier has offered a full refund for the product if you were not happy with it.

It is expected of anyone to clean anything visible off a part before fitting it surely?!
I thought that the supplier and manufacturer might actually be interested in a part that slipped through their quality assurance, I thought they might actually try and prevent it from happening again. Isn't that part of a good QA system, to take customer feedback?

The filter was in a sealed bag, so you would assume it is clean and ready to fit, thats what the instructions say "ready to fit". The piece of wire was inside one of the filter pleats, I used a portable 60W light to look at the filter. I would not have found it if I just had a quick look at it.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRX
I thought that the supplier and manufacturer might actually be interested in a part that slipped through their quality assurance, I thought they might actually try and prevent it from happening again. Isn't that part of a good QA system, to take customer feedback?
I'm 100% with you XRX, and am surprised at the attitude of some Forum members. Having been a manufacturer and wholesaler myself, I am surprised at K&N's rather casual attitude in their response. If I was the manufacturer/distributor I'd be vert gratefull you reported the problem and say so in my response.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #20
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
yeah its in ls1.com aswell...and i will respond the same...some oil elements are nasty lil buggers and i question if they give any peformance increase...i once asked a chick in Repco and she rekon she put one on her VT and gained 5rwkw....bwwahahahahaha

yeah thats common knowledge SSBUB didnt u know that when u put a fake clubsport kit and hsv sticker and a filter on a stock v6 that u actually increase the engine performance up to that of a GEN3........
Old 04-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #21
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eh, so its just like any product really, they all come off a production line so there will be a percentage of faulty products everything has a quality control percentage so eh, no big suprise here.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #22
XRX
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
eh, so its just like any product really, they all come off a production line so there will be a percentage of faulty products everything has a quality control percentage so eh, no big suprise here.

Well I was very suprised! considering it was in a sealed bag!

Next time you find a ИИИИroach in your BigMac, just think "eh, so its just like any product really, they all come off a production line so there will be a percentage of faulty products everything has a quality control percentage so eh, no big suprise here"
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #23
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRX

Next time you find a ИИИИroach in your BigMac, just think "eh, so its just like any product really, they all come off a production line so there will be a percentage of faulty products everything has a quality control percentage so eh, no big suprise here"
in that case you'd give it back and they'd either give you a refund, or give you a new item...

thats EXACTLY WHAT YOU WERE OFFERED by the speedshop..... is it not
Old 04-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #24
XRX
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
in that case you'd give it back and they'd either give you a refund, or give you a new item...

thats EXACTLY WHAT YOU WERE OFFERED by the speedshop..... is it not
So you would'nt tell anyone about it ?

Sorry for letting you know what I found.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #25
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRX

hahaha not the best example there lol, that wouldnt suprise me at all from maccas lol.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #26
LUXO_8
windsor user

how do you know they arent doing something about it, sorry but what do you want them to do exactly.... make an ad in the paper saying....hey, XRX told us about this so we're going to stop producing our filters untill we've fixed whatever problem there is.

you've let them know, there isnt much more that you can do, and they offered you a refund. there isnt much more they can do....
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #27
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My spin on it is that if u felt so strongly about it as u do, by continuing to post. You would take a full refund as offered.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 04-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #28
XRX
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
My spin on it is that if u felt so strongly about it as u do, by continuing to post. You would take a full refund as offered.
Sorry but I am amazed that people are having a go at me for posting what I found.

Do I want peoples sympathy? NO.
Would I like to let others know so that they don't F their engine? YES.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #29
LUXO_8
windsor user

ok, you wanted to let us know about it thats good

most of the people on this site would have inspected the part before fitting anyhow.

but thanks anyway
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #30
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Big macs are handmade. They're not assembled by robots on a production line/conveyor in a factory. (does this mean you wont find wire or a ИИИИroach? NO) but you cant use that as an example.

As for the responses you received from rocket & K&N, they seem quite good to me. They didn't blow you off and most importantly they actually bothered to reply to your email and didn't just think, "you've already spent your money who cares" like a lot of places.
Thanks for sharing, no one is having a go at you for the fact you told us about this.
PS- I doubt the bit of wire would have buggered your engine.
If I decide to leave my free wire there I'm sure if wont get past the MAF.