Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Do we really have more "choice"?

It annoys me when people applaud the so-called "increased choice' we supposedly have as a result of successive governments selling Australian workers down the river.

Sure, if you want a juice-box, made in some 3rd world country, the number of available models is impressive. I don't think we've ever before in my lifetime had so many different brands, and even within the same company there are multiple entries. But is that really "choice"?

Sure, if you're looking for a juice-box, and the number of usb points is a big issue. But looking for such a car for my daughter has convinced me that they might as well all be made in the same factory, and simply come with different badges that you can mix and match.

I'm reminded of Ford's famous quip "any colour you want, as along as its black."

Similarly when Ford promises "20 cars by 2020" and "a car for every lifestyle."
So ok, I'd like a large powerful RWD Sedan or wagon!
No sorry, but come back next year and we'll have yet another FWD 4 cylinder for you to try.

At least Ford has retained some self-respect by bringing in the Mustang. Absolute kudos to them for that.
But gees, that still leaves 19 different ways to stick a 4 cylinder into a fwd juice-box.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
drz250

Default Re: Do we really have more "choice"?

Sounds like you want a Ford Falcon sedan or maybe a Holden Commodore sportswagon. They are still being made for a little while and are readily available brand new.
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 AM   #3
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Sure, if you want a juice-box, made in some 3rd world country, the number of available models is impressive. I don't think we've ever before in my lifetime had so many different brands, and even within the same company there are multiple entries. But is that really "choice"?

Sure, if you're looking for a juice-box, and the number of usb points is a big issue. But looking for such a car for my daughter has convinced me that they might as well all be made in the same factory, and simply come with different badges that you can mix and match.

No sorry, but come back next year and we'll have yet another FWD 4 cylinder for you to try.
It appears to me it’s just a matter of the manufacturers knowing what the majority of customers want and they’re all competing for those dollars.

It makes good business sense to me.

You sound like you’re in the minority and the minority aren’t ever well catered for and to make money from it the manufacturer’s that are interested will charge you premium dollar for something out of the norm.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
It appears to me it’s just a matter of the manufacturers knowing what the majority of customers want and they’re all competing for those dollars.
we had a group of yr 9/10 girls tour the test lab last week. When I asked them what the best features of their parents' cars were they said colour, seats, touch screen.....

that's the market car companies are catering for.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
we had a group of yr 9/10 girls tour the test lab last week. When I asked them what the best features of their parents' cars were they said colour, seats, touch screen.....

But to be fair, when I was in school growing up everyone got excited when my friends dad new car had electric windows.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Are you saying the car manufacturers are designing cars to suit the tastes of yr 9/10 school girls?

I guess you mean their parents are like most purchasers who are only really interested in the value versus the A to B comfort aspects of the vehicles they drive unlike enthusiasts who live and breathe the dynamics of the car.

The manufacturers research the mindset of their customers and make their money catering to the majority, that’s what makes the manufacturer smarter than the enthusiast.

Leave an enthusiast to design a car and the cost and main focus of the vehicle would severely limit its market.

Of course there are manufacturers that also focus on other levels and that is where in most cases the consumer really does get to pay for the pleasure.

For example if you are a member of AMG’s owner’s forum you will be aware Mercedes-Benz often survey the owners to find what they want in their AMG cars.

Last year it was the type of interiors and not so long ago they were asking if the owners would prefer AMG to start manufacturing the entire range in AWD similar to Audi.

I’ve no doubt the cheaper Asian brands know exactly where their customers like the USB port to be located.

Like it or not mass production is all about knowing your customer and bugger the few.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Lucky 10 year old girls don't buy new cars.

Most adults want affordability, safety and reliability to go along with the modern technology in their cars.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I noticed this one after I could no longer "edit" my comment...

Very true. As I have said before, when we bought the G6E, I asked to see under the bonnet, and the salesman said that I was the first person in maybe three months who had even asked to look under there...most people only ask "technical" questions like auto/manual, how many cylinders (important for Queensland with our graduated rego), and servicing costs. And that was it. Maybe "petrol or diesel?" as well.
The staggeringly large majority of buyers don't honestly care anymore which end is doing the driving.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason why we don't have much choice in the near future is cause many of the cars offered are designed to just be manufactured in LHD. However the case for designing future generations to be built in both LHD and RHD is rapidly becoming more feasible. Many emerging markets like Malaysia, India, much of South East Asia and even South Africa drive on the left. Meaning as each year goes by, these markets get bigger the people get richer and marketing these cars in RHD to them has more and more potential. Also, GM and Ford will have till now tried to prop up Australian manufacturing, by making the Falcon and Commodore/Cruze they're only family sedan offerings (lets forget the Malibu - it was ****) in Oceania. Once local manufacturing closes there is no longer a need to protect these factories and so there is a case from bringing the big LHD sellers here in RHD form.

We probably wont see Caddilacs, Chevy SSes, Ford Tauruses, Fusions etc. being offered by Ford or GM/Holden in the next generation that replaces the aussie built series, but it's only inevitable that with growing demand in RHD markets and no longer needing to protect Elizabeth and Broadmeadows, that future generations get built in RHD too, and end up getting sent here for us to buy. We don't have much choice now, but we will later on.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #10
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Does it need to be a ford. You can get a large rwd v8 in the form of a e63. Competitive at 300k.
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But to answer the OPs question i think the type of car people are buying is getting progressively worse.

Look at how good something was like in the late 90s. Very popular were the V6 Magnas and they were just terrific cars and a top5 seller. Compare to the same level of popularity now from the same brand 20 years later - things like Lancers and Tritons. We have definitely gone backwards.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car companies build the cars that are most profictable and sell the most. Large RWD domestic sedans have gone the way of fax machines and VHS players.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep saying it, but after the cheap Ford & Holden's have gone the next resort is shopping at Chrysler Jeep Dealership.
Otherwise you have to step up to the Euros. or perhaps look at the 2nd hand market for them.
point being there will still be cars available ..for now
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It annoys me when people applaud the so-called "increased choice' we supposedly have as a result of successive governments selling Australian workers down the river.

I'm reminded of Ford's famous quip "any colour you want, as along as its black."

Similarly when Ford promises "20 cars by 2020" and "a car for every lifestyle."

At least Ford has retained some self-respect by bringing in the Mustang. Absolute kudos to them for that.
But gees, that still leaves 19 different ways to stick a 4 cylinder into a fwd juice-box.
LOL what a rant.

Yes we have a large choice and thankfully not stuck between two brands with a range that is too similar and quality that is questionable at best.

In the 21st century the 4 cylinders are producing more power than 6's and some 8's were 10 - 15 years back.
The cars are safer than they have ever been and if you look past the marketing (of which many obviously cannot) you can see the technology (technology != gadgets) these so called juice boxes are far better than many large cars were 20 years back.

It all just depends on what you want the car for.

As for the industries closing here, we need to be smarter about how we work. Simply put we're too expensive to do business here. It is not just manufacturing either.

Last edited by Wretched; 06-06-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #15
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
LOL what a rant.

In the 21st century the 4 cylinders are producing more power than 6's and some 8's were 10 - 15 years back.
Yep and they're blowing up. You only need to look at what's happening with the small capacity diesels, they don't last.
Quote:
if you look past the marketing (of which many obviously cannot) you can see the technology (technology != gadgets) these so called juice boxes are far better than many large cars were 20 years back.
Comparing brand new with something 20 years old. Let's have a look at these cars in twenty years and then compare with an AU.
Quote:
It all just depends on what you want the car for.
True
Quote:
As for the industries closing here, we need to be smarter about how we work. Simply put we're too expensive to do business here. It is not just manufacturing either.
Red Herring.
How high is the USD at the moment?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #16
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Yep and they're blowing up. You only need to look at what's happening with the small capacity diesels, they don't last.

Comparing brand new with something 20 years old. Let's have a look at these cars in twenty years and then compare with an AU.

True

Red Herring.
How high is the USD at the moment?
Proof of all these 4cylinders going bang? Or just trolling?
We've got 3 VW, 2 Ford and a mazda in our family all except one are 4 cylinder (one is a 5 cylinder), all done over 120k km (the 5 cylinder nearing 190k km) and the only issue has been, the DSG in one of the VW and the shoddy workmanship of the service centre with the ST.
When should we expect them to go bang? Not seen many if any on the side of the roads either. With the high use of 4 cylinder cars across all manufacturers I expect then our roads to be clogged with broken down cars.

AU is the benchmark of quality is it? Interesting. BA failed straight away and it didn't need 20 years if that's the case.

Currency fluctuations don't always determine if a country is viable.
A whole host of factors are included, wages, government policy, red tape, location, etc.

Last edited by Wretched; 06-06-2016 at 05:30 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We enjoy a high standard of living in this country and high wages that go with it. It's virtually impossible to compete with overseas suppliers whose costs and labour are a fraction of ours. The problem is we import so much product which in turn puts pressure on local businesses to compete. And when the local industry can't compete, they eventual close and we end up with more imported crap. We will get to the stage in this country where there will be almost no manufacturing and big business will be fully owned by overseas interests. Long term that's not going to be of any benefit to us.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
We enjoy a high standard of living in this country and high wages that go with it. It's virtually impossible to compete with overseas suppliers whose costs and labour are a fraction of ours. The problem is we import so much product which in turn puts pressure on local businesses to compete. And when the local industry can't compete, they eventual close and we end up with more imported crap. We will get to the stage in this country where there will be almost no manufacturing and big business will be fully owned by overseas interests. Long term that's not going to be of any benefit to us.
Agreed, and it may be that we have to change our way of doing business, instead of high volume manufacturing for example, we may need to look at niche manufacturing like our Geelong team doing wonders with carbon fibre.
There are a number of things that we can and should do but we need to be willing as a nation to step up and do what is needed to adapt to the change.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #19
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, and it may be that we have to change our way of doing business, instead of high volume manufacturing for example, we may need to look at niche manufacturing like our Geelong team doing wonders with carbon fibre.
There are a number of things that we can and should do but we need to be willing as a nation to step up and do what is needed to adapt to the change.
Yes, that could work, too. But, I for one don't want my standard of living or wages to drop just so the country can compete with overseas markets. Maybe the better idea would be we stop importing so much, concentrate on our own manufacturing base and push the "Aussie made" banner. I wouldn't have a problem spending more on every day items knowing they are made here by Aussies and owned by Aussies.

PREVIOUS RIDES
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Yes, that could work, too. But, I for one don't want my standard of living or wages to drop just so the country can compete with overseas markets. Maybe the better idea would be we stop importing so much, concentrate on our own manufacturing base and push the "Aussie made" banner. I wouldn't have a problem spending more on every day items knowing they are made here by Aussies and owned by Aussies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
The problem is more than just cosmetic or technological features when the 2 biggest manufacturers in this country close their doors but we still allow a multitude of overseas manufacturers to import their cars, all at the expense of our industries and workforce. There is something very fundamentally wrong with that picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH

Well you cant have your cake & eat it.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
*shudder* no thank you. It happened before and look at the mediocrity that came out of the two car makers when they dominated the market.

I buy AU made where I can but having to pay a premium for something that is just as good not better is really testing the relationship.

We do have some very good products on offer here, esp clothing, some furniture and food.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #22
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is more than just cosmetic or technological features when the 2 biggest manufacturers in this country close their doors but we still allow a multitude of overseas manufacturers to import their cars, all at the expense of our industries and workforce. There is something very fundamentally wrong with that picture.

PREVIOUS RIDES
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
This post is 100% spot on. People are severely underestimating the consequences of Ford, Toyota and Holden shutting up shop here.

Oh and here is the car of the future:

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Eh, New Zealand lots its auto industry back in the early 90s. It didn't hurt us thaaat much.

As far as choice goes. We've still got the Chrysler 300 series. They're not too much costlier either.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #25
OzriderXR8

We do have more choice, I agree, each manufacturer makes an almost exact copy of their competitors car in each segment but we have so many more manufacturers offering cheaper and in most cases better vehicles.

We recently drove to Qld and took the wife's Elantra instead of the Falcon, yes it was cheaper to run, but it was almost as roomy inside, we could fit more in the boot and it has pretty much every safety feature under the sun. And I never thought twice about reliability.

If you want a big, powerful rear wheel drive then be prepared to pay a premium for one, just like we had to years ago if you wanted a imported high performance fuel injected car with automatic everything.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #26
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

yr 9/10 are only a few years away from wanting cars of their own and they have already decided what's important to them.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Yeah, the choices are just not worth choosing from.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #28
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Australian car buyer has the choice to buy a new Falcon or something else. Last month they bought a lot more of something else.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #29
drz250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
The Australian car buyer has the choice to buy a new Falcon or something else. Last month they bought a lot more of something else.
Well for those living in suburbia, "something else" is a great option but many of us choose to travel rougher conditions or perhaps simply cover large distances highway driving. The Falcon is ideal for the driving conditions that exist outside of "the big smoke". The only problem is that most city slickers never leave "the big smoke" so they have no reason to purchase such a vehicle. It makes more sense to drive around in a vehicle with a milk carton for an engine because it saves them money at the bowser.
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #30
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz250 View Post
Well for those living in suburbia, "something else" is a great option but many of us choose to travel rougher conditions or perhaps simply cover large distances highway driving. The Falcon is ideal for the driving conditions that exist outside of "the big smoke". The only problem is that most city slickers never leave "the big smoke" so they have no reason to purchase such a vehicle. It makes more sense to drive around in a vehicle with a milk carton for an engine because it saves them money at the bowser.
So the Falcon ecoBoost is not suitable for long distance driving? You know, with more power than an AU Falcon? Only a handful less than the 6 cylinder offered from BA onwards of which is double the size?

Last edited by Wretched; 06-06-2016 at 10:46 PM.