Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Florida City of Melbourne Speeding got Scratchies Instead of Citation

About 30 motorists pulled over for speeding on Christmas in the Florida city of Melbourne were greeted with a surprise: scratch-off lottery tickets, courtesy of the police.

“We’re just doing a little bit of a different technique,” Sgt. Jamie Rocque told Florida Today.

However, Rocque said the gifts came packaged with warnings or actual citations for drivers. And another Melbourne officer told ABC News that the lottery tickets were a one-time Christmas exception only.

"I can tell you right now that no one is getting lottery tickets today," Sgt. Sheridan Shelley said. "Hopefully nobody has it in their mind to speed and expect to receive a lotto ticket — that was a one-shot deal for Christmas."

Still, Rocque said officers paid for the tickets with their own money.

“It’s something good to do in light of the holidays. We’re getting a lot of surprised looks … people don’t know what to say,” he said.

And if anyone scratches off a winner, getting pulled over for speeding on Christmas might just turn out to be the best present of the year.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/205...-on-christmas/

My Comment : Never happen here !!!!!!!!

Old 28-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
66GT

Default Re: Florida City of Melbourne Speeding got Scratchies Instead of Citation

Not a good precedent to set. I can only imagine next year - everyone driving fast hoping to get a scratchie instead of speeding ticket. I believe they should have pulled over 30 motorists who were doing the correct thing, & reward them instead.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Florida City of Melbourne Speeding got Scratchies Instead of Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GT View Post
Not a good precedent to set. I can only imagine next year - everyone driving fast hoping to get a scratchie instead of speeding ticket. I believe they should have pulled over 30 motorists who were doing the correct thing, & reward them instead.
See, unlike here, cops overseas realise that their job is to ensure safe driving on the roads, not to be revenue collectors for govco. They know when they see a muppet on the road and when they see someone driving properly, that might be heaven forbid, driving a touch over the posted limit.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
BHDOGS
Banned

Actually the cops do what there told there not stupid idiots going around extracting money from you for government profit there doing there job Blame the gov not the police I'm sick of all the police hate in this place it should be replaced with respect

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 28-12-2013 at 07:36 PM.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

ummmm nope not gonna happen !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post