Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Arrow Go troppo for dash-cams: road safety expert

ITT we talk about flying cars

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257BC50004B79E

Quote:
EACH week brings the world a fresh batch of grainy Russian dash-cam videos showing drivers breaking the law – or their cars – in painful detail.

Now an Australian safety expert is encouraging Australian drivers to do the same.

Shane Richardson, the forensic engineering-based managing director of road safety consultancy Delta-V Experts, wants Australian drivers to think about adding dash-cams to their cars to help insurance companies and police correctly point the finger of blame.

He said this would help supplement information automatically gathered by a car in a crash.

“Foremost to every vehicle at the moment, if you’ve got an airbag in the vehicle, there’s a control module,” Dr Richardson told a Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia road safety conference in Melbourne last week .

“Now that control module, because of some legislation in the US, is now able to be interrogated in some cars. So you can now look at the last five seconds of what was happening before that airbag has deployed,” he said.

Dr Richardson said all insurance companies had to do to extract information from the car was to buy a translator box that plugged into the car’s onboard diagnostics port – or cut into the car and extract the module.

“You can extract some really good information about what the vehicle was doing,” Dr Richardson said.

This included longitudinal acceleration, and longitudinal and lateral speeds.

“You can tell a lot of information about how a vehicle has crashed,” he said.

“What could you personally do? You may have seen lots of Russian video recorders in cars – there are lots of them out there, and there are lots of people who have access to them and could fit them.”

He showed an example of video of an incident caught on another vehicle’s dash-cam in which the driver who crashed claimed he was travelling at a much lower speed than the video showed – 90km/h versus an indicated 118km/h in a 100km/h zone shortly before the crash occurred.

“For your own peace of mind, please consider getting, or at least fitting, something to your vehicle (that records video).

“For nothing else it is worthwhile in terms of reconstructing and analysing (a collision) from the additional information (from the video) that’s kept there.

“Police and other people that work in this area are using sources from CCT (closed-circuit television) cameras.

“I would encourage you to consider one, that in your vehicle if you have a good airbag control module, it is likely that someone can extract that information and work out what caused that airbag’s deployment – so big brother can monitor you for that.

“But I don’t think we should shy away from that ... but be aware that you can be interrogated for what speed you were doing – and I would encourage you to put an event-recording camera in your vehicle,” Dr Richardson said.

“They are really useful in saying here’s what happened in the crash – don’t write the story, have a look, here’s the video of the crash that occurred.”
So whose got one? I've never really considered them myself but after some idocy this morning I'm tempted.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Go troppo for dash-cams: road safety expert

i got one but it runs a power wire from the cig lighter to the unit and i hate messy wiring so i only connect it if i'm driving in heavy traffic.
i want to hard wire it but don't want to pull the dash apart on my new car
plus in 4 months of having one I have only ever taped junkies walking in the middle of crown st wollongong with blank faces wondering why a car is beeping at them.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been thinking about getting one, I have been hit twice while stationary, not to mention countless other times I have had close calls over the years in cars and trucks, the numbers are against you if you spend enough time on the road.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're getting a lot cheaper. Not a bad idea to have one.

In Russia a huge problem is people staging accidents in front of you to get at your insurance...a memorable one is some guy waiting to cross the road and quite visibly jumping onto the bonnet while the car was moving pretty slowly. He then rolled off and lay in front of the car putting on the biggest acting job since the last Oscar winner.

If it helped you get out of a false claim against you, or you could point at it and show what speed you were really doing or what actually happened in a minor accident that wasn't your fault, it would be worth it.

A workmate used to have one he would put down in the corner of the windscreen on the locomotives we drive...this was at a time when near misses with idiots at level crossings seemed to come in a big bunch. It showed time, date, GPS position, speed, and all the other details.
One night I worked with him, and when we got back to the station, they claimed we had taken "at least half an hour or more" since our sign on time to call for a light out of the yard. My workmate said "Wait a minute", and pulled out the camera, which showed we got a green light at a time precisely 16 minutes after our sign on time, which is actually pretty fast given we have ten minutes allowed at the start of the shift for sign on and briefing. We never heard any more about the matter...but they did put out a directive a while later banning employees putting such cameras in the loco when on duty...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
but they did put out a directive a while later banning employees putting such cameras in the loco when on duty...
What a bunch of douches they are then.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
They're getting a lot cheaper. Not a bad idea to have one.

In Russia a huge problem is people staging accidents in front of you to get at your insurance...a memorable one is some guy waiting to cross the road and quite visibly jumping onto the bonnet while the car was moving pretty slowly. He then rolled off and lay in front of the car putting on the biggest acting job since the last Oscar winner.

If it helped you get out of a false claim against you, or you could point at it and show what speed you were really doing or what actually happened in a minor accident that wasn't your fault, it would be worth it.

A workmate used to have one he would put down in the corner of the windscreen on the locomotives we drive...this was at a time when near misses with idiots at level crossings seemed to come in a big bunch. It showed time, date, GPS position, speed, and all the other details.
One night I worked with him, and when we got back to the station, they claimed we had taken "at least half an hour or more" since our sign on time to call for a light out of the yard. My workmate said "Wait a minute", and pulled out the camera, which showed we got a green light at a time precisely 16 minutes after our sign on time, which is actually pretty fast given we have ten minutes allowed at the start of the shift for sign on and briefing. We never heard any more about the matter...but they did put out a directive a while later banning employees putting such cameras in the loco when on duty...

Most of our locos (all new ones) have a video camera built in to the dashboard that is always recording. Plus all locos are GPS logged, so all live run crews in the office can see where we are 24/7.
Banning crews from putting their own cameras on tha dashboard is pathetic, but most railway 'safety' has gone overboard these days.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
nstg8a

I think the Russian dash cams are as much about avoiding police corruption as insurance fraud, apparently its pretty common for coppers to supplement their income with 'frivolous' tickets, paid in cash of course.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
peterljohnson55

I have been thinking of getting one, but at this stage have other financial priorities. However, when I do I would like to get the system that has dual cameras, front and rear, which are in synch. I get fed up of tail-gaters, especially those truckies who like to intimidate drivers to get out of 'their' way. I think they are $300 plus.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got two cameras in my car, had 1 for over a year now and added a second one 2 months ago.

The front one is a VicoVation TF2+ Premium .
The rear one is a Blackvue DR400-G Revision 1 (Old front camera)

It's a great security to have on your vehicle, also funny to look back and reminisce on the idiots you have faced :P

If you're seriously considering buying a Dash cam for your car, I suggest buying from these guys. They've been good to deal with and you get the security of an Australian seller.

I've been watching Russian crashes on YouTube for years now, it never gets old. Half my subscriptions are to channels who release new compilations every week.
It's staggering how many accidents there are, their road toll is something like 30,000+ a year.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
No.6

I have a dash cam installed. Its not the greatest or the most expensive. From memory it cost $60, shows date and time, has motion detection and infrared for night time driving. Does the job, but i will eventually upgrade to a hd camera later on.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Matty4
Banana

I've had one in my car for almost 3 years now. Took it out of my old Terri and hard wired it into the Jeep. Records as soon as the ignition is switched on.
haven't needed to extract any footage yet to save myself or someone else, but it is there "just in case."

I like the idea above of a rear facing one, so I might retire my old one to the rear and get a new latest and greatest for the front, and then get a couple more for my wifes car and my work van too.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a new cheapy out called the i1000, it can stick flat on the screen with a rotating camera plus also has a rear camera and they are about $50US
My current one is very nasty and the motion detection doesn't really work and to avoid turning it on I took the battery out and now it turns on/off with the ignition so no need to turn it on but i need to hard wire it and when i do i'll hard wire my phone charger and relocate my cradle so my cig lighter is free to run anything else i choose
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
peteypete
Sunny side up

I have a cheap $60 ebay one. Works fine, never had a problem. I look at it as extra insurance.
I've heard that in the near future some companies are going to offer cheaper premiums if you have a dash cam installed...
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

I have a few, using the better one now in the G8, have recorded quiet a few "mishaps" with it.

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
zilo
BANNED

Call me stupid or on a death wish but...

I video'ed an undercover traffic cop breaking multiple rules, intimidating drivers, egging drivers to speed by tailgating etc on the Geelong rd one late afternoon.

I flashed my lights at him, we both pulled over and I told him I was going to report his bad behaviour.

I did and got a call back from his sergeant thanking me for the video and that disciplinary action had taken place.

He was based at Corio.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Towie 1962

That's a good one zilo, its good to show that the undercover cops are not a law on their own and must obey the road laws like the rest of us.
Towie 1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: