Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Alright ford, a rose by any other name smells as sweet, bring back the fairmont/ghia

Ford have no doubt released some cracking cars with the fg, including g6, g6e and of course g6et.

But isnt the game up? We all know its still the fairmont and fairmont ghia! How many people must go into ford dealers, look at the g6et and say "is it the same as the fairmont ghia?"

A rose by any other name smells as sweet, so lets just call a fairmont ghia a fairmont ghia? (a spade is a spade, a rose a rose)

Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While that's true, i like the G6/G6E/G6ET name plate. It's alot more modern, as is the point of changing it. It suits the new styling well and works.

The reply of the "is it the same as the fairmont ghia?" question is usually, "No, this is what we have replaced the fairmont range with. The new FG G6XX."
Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
While that's true, i like the G6/G6E/G6ET name plate. It's alot more modern, as is the point of changing it. It suits the new styling well and works. "
Now they just need to update the Ford logo.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
If you're talking about the blue oval then you should wash your mouth out with soap you bad, bad man
Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
NEVER!!!!!! the blue oval is a beautiful timeles logo.

G6 ,...its hip its now,...no, is a dorky contemporary name that will sound as dumb as commodore, astra, meteor and the rest of those at one time "modern" names did , given another 5 years .

they could have just dropped the fairmont bit and kept Ghia if they wanted it to be snappy.

using XR6 was bad enough when they had a perfectly good name with some history to boot in GS.
I remember thinking when the XR6 first came out that it sounded like some jap motor bike .

and when did it become fashinable to use "series" for every conceivable model designation ?
falcon FG series 2 G series....
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
using XR6 was bad enough when they had a perfectly good name with some history to boot in GS.
I remember thinking when the XR6 first came out that it sounded like some jap motor bike .
GS was just an option pack for the range, the 'XR' nameplate was used to pay homage to Ford Australias original performance machine the XR Falcon.

I think theres a little more history involved with the XR considering it was Fords first V8 Falcon and the original GT.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
They do every now and then!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The only people who know/care about the Fairmont Ghia nameplate are the Ford nerds on this forum like you and me. The average G series buyer wouldn't know, or probably care.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Danny
GT4.

And I see DOZENS more G6 and G6E's on the road than I ever saw BA-BF Faimonts and Fairmont Ghia's. So they are doing something right.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
And I see DOZENS more G6 and G6E's on the road than I ever saw BA-BF Faimonts and Fairmont Ghia's. So they are doing something right.
totally agree, it looks classier than the standard falcon too imo, a bit of differentiation can be a good thing.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Thank god they got rid of the Fairmont name.

The G6 series would not been as successful as it has been under the Fairmont Ghia name, alot of young people are buying G6ET's then ever bought Fairmont Ghia V8s....
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

The G6 series would not been as successful as it has been under the Fairmont Ghia name, alot of young people are buying G6ET's then ever bought Fairmont Ghia V8s....
+1 Brent
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:

and you think thats purely because of the name?
it might have something to do with how popular the turbo engine is compared to the 3V truck motor that was historically used in Ghia's.

people were calling for a Fairmont Ghia Turbo for years, i have no doubt it would have sold better then the V8.

I wonder how the G6E is selling compared to the I6 Fairmont Ghia, for a truer comparison.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Holden could bring back the SLE, things do change as the years roll by.
One name they will never play with is the GT..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you serious? The G-series was an excellent idea by Ford, it sounds more upmarket and fits into the trends of the modern automotive industry.

A nameplate doesn't become definitive overnight, people associate it with the Fairmont because the FG is the first model to rename it. By the next model (if there is one) it will be synonymous with Ford and most won't even mention or reference the Fairmont.

As everyone has said even though Falcon sales aren't flying (terrible pun not intended) the G-series itself has been very successful within the platform. The last thing Ford needs to do right now is take a backwards step.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently, FG 2..G6E will become Titanium??? Will G6 become Zetec????????
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
RAPID_BA
Banned

I saw a G6ET at a servo, someone debadged it and placed fairmont ghia badges on it. I took a photo too

I was thinking to myself he calls a spade a spade
Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I saw a G6ET at a servo, someone debadged it and placed fairmont ghia badges on it. I took a photo too

I would be thinking to myself he calls a G6ET a Fairmont Ghia, but that's just me.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Marketing Potential.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

I'm sure you did!! Post up the pic.

You see more G series cars on the road than BA-BF Fairmont/ Ghias.

And before you all start going on that I am biased because I own a G6ET, I couldn't give a rats @rse what the car was called.

I bought the car for what it is ( a bloody great car) and not what it was called. If anyone really thinks that people aren't buying the G series because of the name then I really think you need to get a reality check.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Apparently, FG 2..G6E will become Titanium??? Will G6 become Zetec????????
That is the first time I've read that.. Where did you get that from?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "Fairmont" & "Ghia" names sound very dated to me. I think ford did the right thing calling the replacements the G6 and G6E.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #23
zdcol71
zdcol71

To use a motorcycle comparison...
Bikes became very alien to me when they started calling them GPZXRDFZ...PHTTZLGIGS
I much prefered something with a little evocation...think,Dominator, Commando, Venom, Bonneville. From all the (reasonably) modern crop, the only one hat has "done" anything for me is the "THRUXTON"
I love the names Falcon, Fairlane, Mustang, Ghia, etc..(hey, but I'm an old fart, my opinion only)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect the G6 and G6E has been a sales disaster.

I reckon they used to sell double the amount of Futuras compared to G6 let alone the Fairmont.

It also fails the basic BBQ test,
"what do you drive?"
" a G6"
"Is that a Kia?"
"ummm a Falcon"

I mean come on, how many limited-edition bargain, leather-lined G6s and G6Es have there been and how fantastic do they look? They should be selling ten times the amount they are. The name has killed a lot of recognition in the market...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I mean come on, how many limited edition G6s and G6Es have there been and how fantastic do they look? They should be selling ten times the amount they are. The name has killed a lot of recognition in the market...
Oh right it's because of the G-series that sales for the entire Falcon range are down.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Oh right it's because of the G-series that sales for the entire Falcon range are down.
well that makes sense actually...

You got a turbo G6ET, You have 50th Anniversay G6, G6E and G6ET. They start fully equipped at 36k... They look great.. Whats wrong?

In the FG series the XR6 sells really well, so why not the G6? Guess which one is the brand-new namplate with no market recognition.

Listen Im playing the devils advocate to the G-series lovefest, but I seriously think less people are car-enthusiasts than what people realise. A recognised nameplate means a lot to the vast majority of buyers.. A bloody heck of a lot.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #27
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I reckon they used to sell double the amount of Futuras compared to G6 let alone the Fairmont.

"what do you drive?"
" a G6"
"Whats that?"
"ummm a Falcon"

I mean come on, how many limited edition G6s and G6Es have there been and how fantastic do they look? They should be selling ten times the amount they are. The name has killed a lot of recognition in the market...
Now, now. 10 years ago, how many people bought an AU XR6 as a family sedan over the Forte SII/I? Not many.

That certainly changed with the BA. Performance was the same as the base model, overall it's just a done up XT. But still, every man and his dog has a XR6 these days.

And, anyone man brings up " what car are you driving? " at a BBQ, knows what the G6 Falcon is.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

"what do you drive?"
" a G6"
"Is that a Kia?"
"ummm a Falcon"

I mean come on, how many limited-edition bargain, leather-lined G6s and G6Es have there been and how fantastic do they look? They should be selling ten times the amount they are. The name has killed a lot of recognition in the market...
Do you even know the sales split compared to Futura / Fairmont.

Some people here talk rubbish...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you even know the sales split compared to Futura / Fairmont.

Some people here talk rubbish...

The only rubbish being spouted is the idea that the naming convention has been a success. Its failed. People still dont know what the G6E is, thank god for the Turbo variant and its praise in enthusiast circles and motoring awards or it could have been a lot worse.

Its replaced the 9 year old BFII including a new turbo variant and 10 times better looks. These things should be walking out the door, they cant even give them away.

If you are going to rename a car which has been around for 50 years, you have to do know what your doing, you have to be able to spend the money to position the car in the marketplace. Especially with a namplate like Fairmont Ghia which was respected and not damaged goods. But lets all pretend that Ford has the best marketing team in the business... If they knew they could never spend the resources in developing the brand, then the change should have never been approved. End of story.

Ford US realised that the amount of money positioning the Ford 500 in the market would be incredible, they actually worked out that it was better to rename it back to the battered and bruised Taurus name and work from there, as the name was known.

Im shocked people think that the unknown G6E name would resonate better than Fairmont Ghia with the type of people who have $50,000 on a family car. We arnt talking about enthusiasts, we are talking about mums and dads.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only rubbish being spouted is the idea that the naming convention has been a success. Its failed. People still dont know what the G6E is, thank god for the Turbo variant and its praise in enthusiast circles and motoring awards or it could have been a lot worse.

Its replaced the 9 year old BFII including a new turbo variant and 10 times better looks. These things should be walking out the door, they cant even give them away.

If you are going to rename a car which has been around for 50 years, you have to do know what your doing, you have to be able to spend the money to position the car in the marketplace. Especially with a namplate like Fairmont Ghia which was respected and not damaged goods. But lets all pretend that Ford has the best marketing team in the business... If they knew they could never spend the resources in developing the brand, then the change should have never been approved. End of story.

Ford US realised that the amount of money positioning the Ford 500 in the market would be incredible, they actually worked out that it was better to rename it back to the battered and bruised Taurus name and work from there, as the name was known.

Im shocked people think that the unknown G6E name would resonate better than Fairmont Ghia with the type of people who have $50,000 on a family car. We arnt talking about enthusiasts, we are talking about mums and dads.
So do you know the sales split in comparison to Futura, Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia vs. G6 / G6E / G6ET or are you dribbling??

www.ls1.com.au

and while ur at it, read this

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...n-buyers-14874

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...9&page=4&pp=25

read post 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Up until the end of the 1st quarter this year, the total split for FG sales has been around 4.5% XT, 45% G series and around 50% XR. Since the fleets have got on board over the last month those figures will have probably gone more towards the XT but overall total FG sales would still be similar to the above numbers.

BFII sales were 52% XT, approx 20% Futura/Fairmont/Ghia and around 30% XR.

Official figures.
Just hold one while I go bake you some humble pie...

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 11-02-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Closed Thread