Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Default Do you guys sniff gasoline?

I was playing around with BP Australia's website and came across this under their Opal fuel line:

Petrol sniffing has become a concern in outback communities in Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia and it is estimated that more than 1,000 people are affected by sniffing, which leads to permanent disability and premature death.

Linky:
http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuels/....asp?menuid=ed

Am I to understand that smelling gas is a big enough problem that fuels are specifically manufactured to combat this? :

Old 07-10-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
EL_Advanti

hey man...when i came back to Australia from Virginia after many many years and heard about this at first...i thought it was a joke myself. But its not a joke, far from it. The native population here, aboriginal communities unfortunately have a serious problem with "petrol sniffing" it is a very serious epidemic, and is widespread. There have been many many initiatives put forward by govt. and state authorities to fight this...but as far as i know it is still an uphill battle...

It unfortuntely is tied in with a million other issues, but it is a problem that is seriously effecting the youth of the aboriginal communities...and this in turn is having a negative impact on the entire community. In a way its comparable to what teenage pregancy is doing/has done to the inner city communities in the US, and how it effects are far reaching and long term.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #3
ImpulseTaco
n00b

I would never have thought people would have turned to sniffing gas though. Naturally drugs will be used and abused, over here it is claimed we have a problem with people sniffing paint, markers (the real smelly ones, like sharpies) and model airplane glue, and so nowadays you have to be 18 to buy that stuff. I have only ever heard of 1 or 2 mentions my whole life about people sniffing gasoline over here, though. I can't understand how or why anyone would do that. A little waft when your gassing up the car smells good, but beyond that, I get headaches and nausious. :
Old 07-10-2005, 04:28 AM   #4
EL_Advanti

good old elmers glue(joking), and permanent markers....haha!! Yeah look i dont know what the rationale is behind it...mind u as if there could ever be a rational explanation for petrol sniffing...its actually become quite a derogatory term here now...

life/people are weird what else can i say...
Old 07-10-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just about cheaper to sniff coke these days....
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 06:20 AM   #6
free-energy64
Free Energy Is Out There

Cheap and available way for them to get "high". Have never talked to anyone who has done it so can't offer any comments on how good the high is.
But if they can't afford drugs, why don't they simply grow heaps of dope and get stoned every day?
free-energy64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by free-energy64
Cheap and available way for them to get "high". Have never talked to anyone who has done it so can't offer any comments on how good the high is.
But if they can't afford drugs, why don't they simply grow heaps of dope and get stoned every day?
growing dope... in the outback...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Thats just incredible. You think people would have a clue. What do you THINK its going to do to your brain? I bet they are all real prone to lung cancer and other things. I bet sniffing gas is 10000 times worse than smoking. I guess one positive aspect is that the two are sort of mutually prohibitive.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseTaco
Thats just incredible. You think people would have a clue. What do you THINK its going to do to your brain? I bet they are all real prone to lung cancer and other things. I bet sniffing gas is 10000 times worse than smoking. I guess one positive aspect is that the two are sort of mutually prohibitive.
Simple. They don't care about the physical, psycological and other problem's associated with it, they just want to get high. They're not concerened how long they live or who else it affects either.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
It's just about cheaper to sniff coke these days....
no its not
find me some coke thats as cheap as a paint can
i'll throw the whole forum a party
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
gozza

yeah always see peeps in king george sniffin paint
i like to have a little sniff of petrol on my fingers or when i'm filling up.....not to "get high"...i just like the smell of it
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
no its not
It was meant as a joke man lol

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
nang3

Quote:
no its not
hehe il throw WA a friggen party !!
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no its not
Just a joke, lighten up dawg. I wouldn't have a clue how much coke costs.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
I wouldn't have a clue how much coke costs.
I wont go into detail here but it's ALOT...lol :P

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Yes it is a huge problem in some of the communities, I have seen it in northern WA and the NT. I believe some communities only have Avgas available because it doesn't have the same effect (not sure if this is urban legend though). You can tell the kids that are on it because they are really spaced out. White city kids are no better though, you would be surprised how many times we get called to kids that are spaced out from chroming (paint sniffing). A black face (they tell me black is one of the better colours) is such a good look, not to mention what it does to what little brain they have.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:15 AM   #17
HOON69
Banned

petrol sniffing been around for at least the past 15 yrs i know of,remember it too well
seen the really bad side of what can happen,i havent sniffed it besides having to breathe it in when filling cars etc but remember a bad experience of ppl who have sniffed it.

story goes:
4 blokes in southern tablelands NSW back in 1990-91 behind a house sniffing petrol trying to get high they are getting high when 2-3 of the blokes wo are off their face decide to pour petrol over 1 of the guys one then thinks its fun to flick a match at him and the poor kid (13-15 yr old guy) goes up in smoke screaming his head off finally staff etc come to his aid and his rushed to hospital,still remember that day
the dude was alive last time i heard wth bad burns to 80% of his body
2 of the guys got charged and thrown into juvenile detention
that was the most scariest experience i've heard of when it comes to petrol sniffing..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #18
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

Only when I'm filling my tank up....
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #19
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i seem to recall a news story regarding women/girls out there prostituting themselves to buy it
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no idea why people do it. My work is right next to a petrol station and every time the tankers come in to top up the fuel, I cop a wiff of that crap. Makes me sick as.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #21
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Alot of communities up here have a no tollerance rule when it comes to Petrol. you cannot take a petrol vehicle to that town ( community) and even the people who live there have only got deisel vehicles. if there is a need in that community for petrol only ver small amounts may be kept and it must be kept under lock and key ! petrol sniffing has the same affect on the brain as paint chromeing ! it melts the brain in very short time

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #22
neb
hibernating

petrol sniffing in south australia... yeah doesn't surprise me :P
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #23
nang3

my ex GF was a copper who worked up north, they apprehended a habitual sniffer one time and found her to be concealing a king brown longneck (750ml beer bottle) full of BP's finest unleaded ummmm INTERNALLY !!!!!!!!!!! the entire friggen thing !!..
talk about throwing a sausage down Hay St !!! :
this wasnt a one off either, the standard practice was to get the females to jump up and down to hear the ball bearing rattle if they were hiding a spray can!!
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #24
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

I think 1000 is a really really big underestimate. When teenagers are bored they'll try anything to get a high. Never tried it myself but where I grew up people would look down at you for that kind of behaviour. I feel for those people who are in a culture where it is acceptible and encouraged by your friends.
Great advice from Dogbreath_48 about selling a car: "umm..maybe edit your post a little bit. Leave out the bit about running over over your dog, remove the word 'sic', as well as the aformentioned washing/tidying!"
Donut Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #25
BlackLS

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16208624-2,00.html
Old 07-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #26
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Avgas gets me off

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
honer
Back to N/A land

See Aboriginals all the time sniffing fuel/paint in Perth
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #28
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

When I started out life as an apprentice i spent 10 hours a day over a drum of petrol washing and cleaning motor parts and I suffered absolutely no ill effects from being in close proximity to Sandra Bullock. SO for everyone that said drinking draino is bad for you, consider me a specimen that proves there are no ill effects from Eating Dirt.

I hope I made myself clear.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #29
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
When I started out life as an apprentice i spent 10 hours a day over a drum of petrol washing and cleaning motor parts and I suffered absolutely no ill effects from being in close proximity to Sandra Bullock. SO for everyone that said drinking draino is bad for you, consider me a specimen that proves there are no ill effects from Eating Dirt.

Maybe you're a special case.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard

LMAO... Literally in tears ! :
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post