Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Ford's near future plans

Although Ford is traversing a very troubling sales slump, I suspect that there is light at the end
of the tunnel and that a lot of future plans will start to become apparent by the latter half of 2011.

In the near time, the agenda appears to be:
- Smooth launch of Territory and expected pent up demand for diesel and 6-speed auto I-6
- Introduction of EcoLPI engine on Falcon sedan and Ute, recovery of fleet sales
- Elimination of approx 3,000 excess vehicles around Broadmeadows.

Intel suggests that the new SZ Territory is now in full production and being built 1 to 1 with
Falcon instead of the usual 2 to 1 mix. On its own, this doesn’t seem much of a change but
that now means approximately 125 Territory and 125 Sedan/Utes per day built on 3-day week,
that adds up to a whole lot of Territory stock over the next 4 weeks, 1500 odd and around
950 sedans and 450 Utes. Word is the new EcoLPI engine goes into production this week
And this leads me to think that a good proportion of those sedans and utes will be LPG.
So hopefully, Ford will be geared to meet an expected inrush of buyers that have been
Waiting for the new Territory and gas fed Falcons.

Ford has announced a return to 5-day production week starting July so they are expecting
A big lift in sales between then and now including elimination excess stock in readiness for
An expected sales bonanza, I hope the plan comes off for them.

Adding to that, the new global Focus arrives jammed packed full of features to get buyers back into the show room.

A few months on and the new Aussie designed Ranger is here to take on Hilux, great news for truck buyers.

So what do people think, is Ford's goose still cooked or can they turn these grim days into a faint memory......

Last edited by jpd80; 05-06-2011 at 08:16 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford's near future plans

I don't think the goose is cooked just yet, however a whole lot of good public information needs to be sent out to counter the constant back-handed jabs directed at Ford. Building a great car doesn't sell it anymore and some public boasting of good news, great product etc now needs to be a constant and on-going effort. The Motor show I think will be a guide to Ford's own thought's on it's future. If I was in charge I would have some rock solid info on the Ecoboost 4, a small tease on FGII, a new Focus, and the full range of new Rangers. Nothing creates more positivity than actual metal on the floor. I would even talk about any future product/changes at the risk of hurting some current sales only because it's the uncertain future which is constantly highligted in the press and nothing will kill it properly unless countered with actual product or some clear factory insight.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 05-06-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford needs to do a lot more self promotion, they need to tell the world how great their products are and I'm hoping
that their new sales team drawn in from other car brands will bring that kind of enthusiasm and promotional attitude.
We know that Ford has great products but the potential buyers out there probably don't, so it's time to let them know.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I don't think the goose is cooked just yet, however a whole lot of good public information needs to be sent out to counter the constant back-handed jabs directed at Ford. Building a great car doesn't sell it anymore and some public boasting of good news, great product etc now needs to be a constant and on-going effort. The Motor show I think will be a guide to Ford's own thought's on it's future. If I was in charge I would have some rock solid info on the Ecoboost 4, a small tease on FGII, a new Focus, and the full range of new Rangers. Nothing creates more positivity than actual metal on the floor. I would even talk about any future product/changes at the risk of hurting some current sales only because it's the uncertain future which is constantly highligted in the press and nothing will kill it properly unless countered with actual product or some clear factory insight.
It's not easy. Did anyone see last weeks CarsGuide spread? Holden this, Holden that. Then an article about unsold Falcon's piling up at the factory

Then they did an article on classic collectables. Aussie cars first of course. Number 1: HQ GTS Monaro. Number 2: Falcon XY GTHO Phase III.

It's bloody disgusting.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I think Ford should be rubbing their hands together now and really promoting the Ranger to Fleets and Public buyers. I've heard that nobody can get any vehicles out of Japan and this won't change for the next 6 months. (No Hilux!!)
I think theyt can turn things around, they just need to look 'out-side the square' and be prepared to inform and advertise.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
I think Ford should be rubbing their hands together now and really promoting the Ranger to Fleets and Public buyers. I've heard that nobody can get any vehicles out of Japan and this won't change for the next 6 months. (No Hilux!!)
I think theyt can turn things around, they just need to look 'out-side the square' and be prepared to inform and advertise.
I think you will find Hilux is made in Thailand and at this stage there hasn't been a drop in sales.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I think you will find Hilux is made in Thailand and at this stage there hasn't been a drop in sales.
Something must be happening to them. Work has been told by SGFleet not to even ask for Hilux, they can only get Ranger. They also blamed Jaoan crisis...
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Something must be happening to them. Work has been told by SGFleet not to even ask for Hilux, they can only get Ranger. They also blamed Jaoan crisis...
Parts shortages from Japan I'd say.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Parts shortages from Japan I'd say.
That's a real issue with all Isuzu products. Isuzu factories are OK but some key suppliers are out of business.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

The goose can not be cooked.

1) There are no SZ Territories for sale yet, and the channels are exhausted of SYIIs.
2) Falcon is currently Petrol I6 Sedan only. No wagon (obviously), and no LPG. This is not helping sales numbers.
3) EcoBoost and LiLPG is still to come. Falcon is about to re-enter the green cars register, with models from the XT to the G6E/Titanium, with two engines. Territory is on the Green Cars Register.

Ford have lots in the pipeline, they just can not get the cars out there to customers (for whatever reason). I'd be livid if I had ordered a Territory, and was promised a Late May or early June delivery, because it won't happen.

Ford Australia have a lot of work to do, and some good marketing will fix this. They should be doing some coming soon Territory ads, and some LiLPG and EcoBoost ads to get interest up.

I think, finally, with the imported products about to hit the market place, that Ford Australia will no longer be the Falcon car company, but will have a proper market mix, much like Toyota, where the local products are just something else in the model mix, and they have a very healthy imported model mix, from Fiesta to Ranger.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps it happened some time ago, but Ford is no longer that company who sells large volumes ie. Falcon with sales margins low.

They have been outdone at this by asia, because quite simply they can do it cheaper. The new Focus will be more expensive and better quality than similar cheaply made cars (Kia Optima, Hyundai I35, Cruze) - Yes ive heard of multiple cruze interiors falling apart already. I'd hope most people will see the light when buying a car and go for the quality, and i think this is more the strategy.

For people who misconstrue that statement, im not saying Ford is become a prestige company, because thats ridiculous.

Same goes for Falcon and Territory too, Fiesta is in a similar boat to focus.

I dont expect to see sales boom, but hopefully with good advertising, they will be better and more consistent.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Perhaps it happened some time ago, but Ford is no longer that company who sells large volumes ie. Falcon with sales margins low.

They have been outdone at this by asia, because quite simply they can do it cheaper. The new Focus will be more expensive and better quality than similar cheaply made cars (Kia Optima, Hyundai I35, Cruze) - Yes ive heard of multiple cruze interiors falling apart already. I'd hope most people will see the light when buying a car and go for the quality, and i think this is more the strategy.

For people who misconstrue that statement, im not saying Ford is become a prestige company, because thats ridiculous.

Same goes for Falcon and Territory too, Fiesta is in a similar boat to focus.

I dont expect to see sales boom, but hopefully with good advertising, they will be better and more consistent.
I think the term you're looking for is affordable quality cars, a level above Korean production.
Instead of competing with entry level Korean, Ford is making a fist of delivering well appointed
cars like Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo that are a cut above what is mostly expected, it's this
difference that will be their salvation by giving better value and increased average transaction prices,
buyers get great cars and Ford gets better profit margins without building zillions of cars.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford Australia's problem is they don't know how to spin like its competitors. It doesn't seem to know how to keep its name in the press in a positive light. It has good products, but people don't consider them because they don't know a lot about them - it is the seller's job to appraise people of its products, not the other way around. I don't think its goose is cooked but unless things turn around for the Falcon in particular in the next 3-4 months then they might as well not bother.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I couldn't believe that either. How is a HQ Monaro considered more collectable than the most collectable aussie car ever made. Just ridiculous.

Carsguide could not possibly be more Holden biased if they tried.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
LightningStrike

And that either made it over the Phase IV....... or the Bill Bourke.....

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I couldn't believe that either. How is a HQ Monaro considered more collectable than the most collectable aussie car ever made. Just ridiculous.

I know. it made me sick. To trump up and parade this GM rubbish like it's the closest thing to vegemite on the Aussie-o-meter. And then kick a local manufacturer in the guts when they're down. A local manufacturer who has done more for jobs, development, and industry in this nation than Holden.

***** me to tears. Especially when I think people are digesting this crap.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Was this last friday's edition?

I could not believe how every second article was commodore/Holden based..it was unreal.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #18
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Was this last friday's edition?

I could not believe how every second article was commodore/Holden based..it was unreal.
I read it in last weeks Sunday Timer.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Were they insinuating the HQ was more desirable than the XY????
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Were they insinuating the HQ was more desirable than the XY????
Yes they were.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #21
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes they were.
Amazing, I would rate HK/HT/HG over the HQ in terms of desirability/collectability any day of the week.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford need a Territory ad ,like the new Kluger ad.."on the road again"
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ford need a Territory ad ,like the new Kluger ad.."on the road again"
If dealer has stock then advertising would be smart but they're not at the dealer yet.

I at first didn't like the down balance that was announced but then realised that it was a good move as it should allow production to control their model mix a lot better. So they won't have to pile up a large amount of Falcons to get more Terri's out the door. Also might help with sending more LPG models out as well.

One thing that has been forgotten is FG2 that is coming. Now the rumours are interior tweaks and exterior changes. Hopefully this will be good as the FG is a beautiful car that still looks great but needs a few tweaks to keep it in the game. The terri has got what it needed time to get the Falcon up to speed.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #24
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If dealer has stock then advertising would be smart but they're not at the dealer yet.
100% disagree. Start it now.

The user chooser market with novated leases and the like will all be shopping at least 3 months before their lease is up. SO get the interest rolling and get clever and start taking orders for july and august as well.

The other thing Ford need to do is tie their model cycle as best as is possible into the std 3yr lease which has replaced the fleet car.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

The user chooser market with novated leases and the like will all be shopping at least 3 months before their lease is up. SO get the interest rolling and get clever and start taking orders for july and august as well.

The other thing Ford need to do is tie their model cycle as best as is possible into the std 3yr lease which has replaced the fleet car.
The only problem is people go down wanting a test drive and if they cannot get one they will whinge and moan and go buy something else. People have no patience.

As soon as the dealers have stock go to town with the advertising as the Terri will be more important to the private buyer then the Falcon will be.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

Very important fact.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Future product plans looking good.

EcoLPI should boost Falcon ute numbers considerably. Looking forward to seeing some of the new Territories on the road, they should be very popular.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford oz should do ok , they have a good range of cars, if they keep improving the cars as they have been and focus on QC and price they should kick posterior !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG 2 needs to be really, really good to get Fords goolies out of the fire. ie it must stand out on the road, not blend in with the traffic.It must be a car that stops people in their tracks and say "whats that" to continue to be"plain jane" isn't going to work. Yeah,I know Holden hasn't changed much past 5 years. But FG2 must be different to save Falcon...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
FG 2 needs to be really, really good to get Fords goolies out of the fire. ie it must stand out on the road, not blend in with the traffic.It must be a car that stops people in their tracks and say "whats that" to continue to be"plain jane" isn't going to work. Yeah,I know Holden hasn't changed much past 5 years. But FG2 must be different to save Falcon...
I don't understand why people think FG2 is going to look much different from FG? It is FG2, not FH!! You'll get a bumper here, different colour blinder & a small twick there..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post