Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
munchkin323
AU XR6

Default Extractors installed, no great power gains?

Hey guys, I just had some JimMock Motorsport extractors fitted to my au1 xr6. These flow through the stock cat and into a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. I have also put a xr6t air intake on it. There was a very small power gain; however i was expecting a fair bit more. Any advise on what is needed? is a tune required? reset of ECU?

munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Changing the cat would be a good start.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
munchkin323
AU XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Changing the cat would be a good start.
Ive read through alot of the exhaust info on these forums and apparently the stock cats are pretty high flowing and only need to be ugraded if large power gains are being sought, such as through head work, and forced induction. Alot of members on the forums leave the stock cat from what ive read.
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
cougermoon
Mr blue

Yeah but your cat might be blocked or old as the hills and there for no justice is being done to the rest of your mods. If you think about your engine as a motion of flow, beginning at you intake then going through your engine and then out your exhaust if there is a point within that flow slowing things down then everything slows down. Also if you don't have a Hi-Flow filter like K&N or such you might be losing some go go there as well. Your ECU should adjust to the mods after a bit of driving, so that shouldnt be to much of a problem but Ive always reset mine after any mods Ive done just for peace of mind.

Hope this help mate, Good luck

Will

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

How old is your cat?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

If it's an AUI the cat may be original - CHUCK IT!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Seat of the pants your never going to feel much from exhaust mods. If you went from standard to a full extractors/cats/cat back system the you'd feel it a bit.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ecu reset will help a great deal. What sort of 2.5? If the mufflers are chambered and the cat is old they will both be choking the flow
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
ayeyew
Teh Baest

How did you judge the "power gain"? Was there a before/after dyno readout? Or is it simply how it feels? With the extractors, a great deal of the time, the gains arent really felt until the high rpm range. Depending on the dimensions of the extractors themselves. I know with my extractors, they actually feel more sluggish down low, but once they get past a certain rpm.. OMG FULLY TABOULI WATCH OUT ULEH!

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

depends on what you were expecting. lets keep it real, they will make the car feel more responsive at top end (as previously mentioned)- but the outcome isnt going to be any "throw you back in the seat" scenario. Bolt on a turbo or s/c and this will produce the desired result. The ECU will relearn its self if you dont reset it.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Change the cat.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Let me get this straight. You've got an XR6 that came out of the factory with extractors, you've changed them for some after-market extractors, and you actually expected a performance gain?
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
Let me get this straight. You've got an XR6 that came out of the factory with extractors, you've changed them for some after-market extractors, and you actually expected a performance gain?
XR6 didn't come out with extractors - just the same crappy manifold as every other falcon.

Did the torque increase? If so, where (ie what rpm range). Extractors don't always result in a massive power increase, but they should result in a taller, flatter torque curve.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
this one
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes if you were expecting some out of this world gains you wont get them that cheap. I found that I have a bit more go down low (I have 4499's, high flow cat and 2.5 in redback), enough to spin the tyres from a rolling start up to say 20kmh and about 3500+ it really pulls a noticeable amount more.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i would generaly look at fuel consumption...then you know you went forward with your choice.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bam, what a silly comment. I understand there are 2 different jmm extractors which did you get?
I felt a huge difference when I got my 4480s and even more with my hi flow cat. Low rpm was better but the top end was awesome.
To contrast Poelwyks car has 4499 and the exact same catback and cat as me and his doesn't feel as quick up top but has great low rpm pickup and feels pokey for day to day driving.
Where do you feel the power gain? i'd really reset the ecu then think about a new cat to let it breathe the beat you can. Also check out some of the threads on custom air intakes for some cheap/ free mods you can do at home like cutting the front lower air box
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you get the race series or street fighter?
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

I never felt much difference with any of my mods to be honest, except after my custom tune from Chiptorque. If it doesnt feel like its gained any power, go for a strap in your car, then hop in a stocko AU and see how much difference there is. Youll be quite suprised.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

My XR6 VCT had just a redback 2.5" strapped to it. stock manifold and cats. I noticed one hell of a difference. Whilst actual power gains may have been next to nothing. I guess what you feel is all that matters right?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
Bam

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Duly noted Stattic. I was wrong about the standard manifold on the XR6, and JC promptly and courteously corrected me, therefore I apologise. You might do well to learn something from him about manners.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
Duly noted Stattic. I was wrong about the standard manifold on the XR6, and JC promptly and courteously corrected me, therefore I apologise. You might do well to learn something from him about manners.
Not many people can say that Bam (the bit about me having manners), so thanks! And about here I should mention that Stattic probably won't change (that's a pun on his username, in case anyone missed it!).

Just to clear things up, the AU2 onwards T series (and XR8 220s, IIRC) are the only AU Fords/Tickfords to come with headers (rather than cast manifold) from factory, but even then they weren't very good with quite a pinch in one of the driver's side primary pipes to clear the steering column/rack assembly.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
Bam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Just to clear things up, the AU2 onwards T series (and XR8 220s, IIRC) are the only AU Fords/Tickfords to come with headers (rather than cast manifold) from factory, but even then they weren't very good with quite a pinch in one of the driver's side primary pipes to clear the steering column/rack assembly.
Upon checking the EF/EL workshop manual, it appears that all of the V8's got headers, and I can confirm that the EL XR8 definitely did (Series I and II). All of the sixes however seemed to have missed out. Being an EL XR8 owner, I had assumed that all XR's had them in accordance with their 'sports' breeding. Tunnel vision....my bad.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #24
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
Upon checking the EF/EL workshop manual, it appears that all of the V8's got headers, and I can confirm that the EL XR8 definitely did (Series I and II). All of the sixes however seemed to have missed out. Being an EL XR8 owner, I had assumed that all XR's had them in accordance with their 'sports' breeding. Tunnel vision....my bad.

lol you know what they say about assuming....
but seems like the OP isnt offended so i guess i shouldnt be, just a mistake after all
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #25
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
you were rude and condescending to the OP and your info was flat out wrong and you want to lecture me about manners?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
you were rude and condescending to the OP and your info was flat out wrong and you want to lecture me about manners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC0
XR6 didn't come out with extractors - just the same crappy manifold as every other falcon.

Did the torque increase? If so, where (ie what rpm range). Extractors don't always result in a massive power increase, but they should result in a taller, flatter torque curve.
Out of curiosity, which part of this is "flat out wrong", and which part was "rude and condescending"?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #27
Day-mow
rexnet

you should deff notice something. i put extractors on my AU with a 200,000K old cat and then changed it and the gains where amazing. its worth doing. just get a 100 cell race cat and be done with it.
i dare say you'd of gotten gains tho

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
you should deff notice something. i put extractors on my AU with a 200,000K old cat and then changed it and the gains where amazing. its worth doing. just get a 100 cell race cat and be done with it.
i dare say you'd of gotten gains tho
Get a 200CPSI cat if you want to stay street legal - still up to twice the flow of a standard cat, and the standard ones when new aren't that restrictive (they obviously are if they're blocked!).

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Get a 200CPSI cat if you want to stay street legal - still up to twice the flow of a standard cat, and the standard ones when new aren't that restrictive (they obviously are if they're blocked!).
in SA. as far as im aware there isn't a restriction. how ever can i pose the question of. how a police officer can test that your cat is 100 or 1,000 cell?

but i guess staying legal is an important thing

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
in SA. as far as im aware there isn't a restriction. how ever can i pose the question of. how a police officer can test that your cat is 100 or 1,000 cell?

but i guess staying legal is an important thing
In SA, I doubt anyone could tell.

So if I could make stuff out of asbestos, but no-one could tell, does that mean I should? Hmmmm, thought not.

But if 100CPSI is legal for an AU, then go for it; I was told they are race versions only, which makes them not street legal in my book. I'd rather stay legal than possibly face thousands of dollars in fines, plus the expense and hassle of having to get an inspection done etc if I got caught. At the end of the day, a 100CPSI cat is not going to give you any benefits over a 200CPSI cat on an AU6; it just sounds so cool (lame, IMO) to boast that you have the minimum rated cat they make.

This is how you can be detected:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...erter-question.

Last edited by JC; 08-03-2010 at 10:02 PM.