Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
james_dinga
Starter Motor

Default fuel boiling in holley

hey guys, having a few dramas, i took the 570 street avenger off my ute yesterday, and put it on my fairlane, the fairlane is a 302 zk and has an edelbrock manifold on it. now the problem i seem to be having is not being able to get the car to run properly, i hooked up a vacum guage and i got a good solid steady reading which indicates the engine is in good nick. i still cant seem to tune this thing and im thinkin it could be fuel boiling in the bowls, as when i emptied the fuel bowl, i droped a little puddle in the manifold and it boiled as soon as it hit, which to me seems like it was already very hot and didnt need much more to boil. anybody had this problem

james_dinga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
RSPEC#78
FORD FANATIC

Default Re: fuel boiling in holley

i highly doubt the fuel is boiling. the temperature of fuel reduces with volume, unless your engine is really badly over heating. Was the engine running ok before? and might be best to do a compression test.
RSPEC#78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
james_dinga
Starter Motor

yeah i thought it was a bit odd too. only thing i havent done is put a timing light on it coz i dont have one, ill chase one up, as i think the timing is way out, when i switch it off it runs on for about 10 seconds. and i just took it up a big hill and it was pingin its head off. so ill sort that out and let you konw my findings.
james_dinga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been a long time since I played with Holley's (ha) but I saw a lot of them with a heat shield plate between the carby and manifold which extended out under the fuel bowl/s and some had a high density plastic block/plate also between the carby and manifold. Not many fuel boiling or vapor lock problems with them. You can also lag your exposed fuel lines, ie put insulating tubing over the lines like plumbers do for hot water pipes in houses, looking for the reverse efect, keeping the heat in where you are looking at keeping heat out. Provided, as you say, it is not timing or coke build up in combustion chambers.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post