Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Default Whats your take?

I would just like to direct your attention to this article.

It happened near my place last night and apparently the guy that passed away was a cousin of one of the boys at work.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225964816571

Won't comment too much out of respect. Took out some amount of power in the area due to a supposed drag race that ended up in the commodore playing pinball with a few objects.

What is your take on this situation and article?

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

From the day were born we are threatened by death, some of us will make it a long time, others not. What else can one say, that's life. What an AWSOME day, because im still alive. later.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
From the day were born we are threatened by death, some of us will make it a long time, others not. What else can one say, that's life. What an AWSOME day, because im still alive. later.
Nicely put!

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
"This has every element for a recipe of disaster. Two young, inexperienced drivers at night and driving at high speed," Supt Fellows said.

Pretty much sums it up really.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there`s not much to say really except condolances to the familys involved, you take the risk of dragging in the streets there is a chance your gonna come unstuck in a big way, the majority of us probably were`nt angels and managed to survive the exuberance of youth with probably a fair bit of luck on our side.
sadly experience can be a harsh teacher and is not easily passed on to younger folk.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"This has every element for a recipe of disaster. Two young, inexperienced drivers at night and driving at high speed," Supt Fellows said.
My condolences to the Scarfo family and friends. I hope everyone who knew him and those who read about this incident remember that speed kills. How sad.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

This is another sad story, yet it seems like i have heard it all before. The worst part is that the family left behind now has to go through the pain and ask "why?"
Teenagers will always be reckless and want to have fun. we have all been there and done that, but it seems today's youth are just getting more brazen and stupid, thinking they are death-proof. In the end, it cost this young man his life. We have all participated in street light drags at some stage in our lives. Either as a driver or passenger, there is bound to have been at least one incident. yet for the majority of us, i'll bet that as soon as the speed got close to stupid, or there was another car approaching which would get in the way, the race is instantly over. I can't understand why this yound man kept racing when he saw the bus ahead, and tried to squeeze around it.
My second thought here, is why is the second driver being charged for his death, by dangerous driving? The second driver did not lose control and kill anyone. Mr Scarfo is the one who lost control and killed himself. He was obviously a willing participant. By all means, charge the second driver for driving like an idiot, but not for his friends death.
Condolences to his friends and family.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
My second thought here, is why is the second driver being charged for his death, by dangerous driving? The second driver did not lose control and kill anyone. Mr Scarfo is the one who lost control and killed himself. He was obviously a willing participant. By all means, charge the second driver for driving like an idiot, but not for his friends death.
Condolences to his friends and family.
And you need to know how the law operates....
The other driver is directly responsible for his death, why?
Because he was there street racing with him, he is just at fault as the dead teenager. If the moron wasnt street racing with him, he probably would be alive (for now).

If you knowingly sell a gun to someone (illegally of course) who is hell bent on killing someone, you are charged as an accessory to murder.

The 2nd driver is just as responsible for the other guys death, he did nothing to stop it, he encouraged the race by participating in it....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And you need to know how the law operates....
The other driver is directly responsible for his death, why?
Because he was there street racing with him, he is just at fault as the dead teenager. If the moron wasnt street racing with him, he probably would be alive (for now).

If you knowingly sell a gun to someone (illegally of course) who is hell bent on killing someone, you are charged as an accessory to murder.

The 2nd driver is just as responsible for the other guys death, he did nothing to stop it, he encouraged the race by participating in it....
When did responsibility for yourself exit stage?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

If you knowingly sell a gun to someone (illegally of course) who is hell bent on killing someone, you are charged as an accessory to murder
bloody hell, you think this comparable to a couple of kids making a stupid mistake? Have some compassion for the situation.

I hate these threads, they turn into self-righteous ****ing contests, whereby p platers are made out to be devil. These are just kids, and they make idiotic tragic mistakes. My condolences to the family.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
My condolences to the Scarfo family and friends. I hope everyone who knew him and those who read about this incident remember that speed kills. How sad.
Speed does NOT kill , not knowing how to drive is what kills . If speed kills every second person in Germany would be dead in a car accident and they'd have a road toll in the millions every year . Sick and tired of hearing these stories week in week out , ZERO sympathy for him as it may be my family wiped out by someone of his ilk one day .
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Speed does NOT kill , not knowing how to drive is what kills . If speed kills every second person in Germany would be dead in a car accident and they'd have a road toll in the millions every year . Sick and tired of hearing these stories week in week out , ZERO sympathy for him as it may be my family wiped out by someone of his ilk one day .
+1

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People will never learn.
THe proof is the big red button with, 'do not push' above it.
You can try all you want, but your curiosity and belief that nothing bad can happen to you will eventually get the better of you...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #14
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For such a young kid to die is horrible. Despite the mistake and bad decision to drive irresponsibly never should death be the punishment.

Unfortunately and I hate to mention it but it is individuals driving Holdens that constantly "hoon" and drive stupidly more so than any other drivers. Statistics and reports continue to back this up ( In Victoria anyway). This is not directed at John Scarfo or anybody else at all but I will always think there are more idiots behind the wheel of a commodore.

Last edited by GreenR; 04-12-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I dont know about any other young people on here but i hate it when young drivers die!
I think the article was done very well in terms of the fact it is general media writing up about a young boy crashing, it wasn't filled with police saying they where speeding, but rather good words from people who knew him and his family.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Typically us males at that age think we are all bullet proof.....
.... and grieving parents will always describe their child as an angel. No matter what they were doing...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #17
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

After one night of driving my friends around I witnessed the following:

Red P Plater doing 10 - 20kms over the limit
Red P Plater changing lanes without indicating
Green P Plater chop across 4 lanes of traffic to get to a turning lane
Red P Plater with 3 mates in the back of his ute, all were drinking
Red P Plater roar up the left of me and chop in front of the car in front of me to get the turning arrow

Education... education and MORE bloody education! I keep finding that the older I get, the more the younger generation tick me off. I know they're 17 or 18, they're out for a good time, but by GOD are some of them disrespectful and downright dangerous when it comes to driving.

Don't get me wrong, I had my stuff ups when I was on my P's, and it is a minority that ruin it for the majority, however the minority seems to be increasing at an alarming rate...
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
After one night of driving my friends around I witnessed the following:

Red P Plater doing 10 - 20kms over the limit
Red P Plater changing lanes without indicating
Green P Plater chop across 4 lanes of traffic to get to a turning lane
Red P Plater with 3 mates in the back of his ute, all were drinking
Red P Plater roar up the left of me and chop in front of the car in front of me to get the turning arrow

Education... education and MORE bloody education! I keep finding that the older I get, the more the younger generation tick me off. I know they're 17 or 18, they're out for a good time, but by GOD are some of them disrespectful and downright dangerous when it comes to driving.

Don't get me wrong, I had my stuff ups when I was on my P's, and it is a minority that ruin it for the majority, however the minority seems to be increasing at an alarming rate...
Two questions:

1) How many non P platers did you notice doing similar things?
2) If there were no P plates on the cars as it was in QLD up until recently would you have taken any extra notice of these events?

It is too easy to vilify P platers when as if you are not one you must be better and part of the "good driver" group.
This is just another way that Govco and the media divide us into waring factions to keep our minds off the REAL problems.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Two questions:

1) How many non P platers did you notice doing similar things?
2) If there were no P plates on the cars as it was in QLD up until recently would you have taken any extra notice of these events?

Very good points there mate, yes I do notice others doing silly things, but what worries me the most is that they (younger drivers) will take these bad habbits and continue to repeat them long after they are off their P's.

I need to do a refresher defensive driving course myself, I'm not perfect and I know I've got some bad habbits I need to curb (i.e. one hand on the wheel)
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How cool one FW wiped himself instead of taking a few with him......

Last edited by pottery beige; 04-12-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
How cool one FW wiped himself instead of taking a few with him......
Subtle as always PB

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Subtle as always PB
very happy to know this idiot is no longer sharing the roads with my loved ones.....
Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's bad to hear. But I was not surprised when I read commodore. Look at all news reports like this and it's a scary high percentage of them are commodores.
I am pretty polite on the road and normally let cars out and let cars change lanes on front of me. Unless they are a p plater in a commodore. Then I will refuse to give way to them unless I legally have too. They bring it on themselves. I used to like commodores until I realized most young people in them are idiots. Even if it's their mums car.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
It's bad to hear. But I was not surprised when I read commodore. Look at all news reports like this and it's a scary high percentage of them are commodores.
I am pretty polite on the road and normally let cars out and let cars change lanes on front of me. Unless they are a p plater in a commodore. Then I will refuse to give way to them unless I legally have too. They bring it on themselves. I used to like commodores until I realized most young people in them are idiots. Even if it's their mums car.
Not just young people , virtually every SS or HSV and to a lesser degree SV6 is usually piloted by an imbecile , I see it all day every day as rep on the roads all day long . I always let them past me as I DO NOT want these morons behind me under any circumstance . And it is true when you look at horrific accidents Commodores are grossly overrepresented .
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

This has nothing to do with Commodore's or Holden's or whatever. Just a young man with a poorly developed sense of risk aversion. The fact that Commodores may appear to be over represented is due purely to the fact that they are more desireable to young people.

There's no shortage of imbeciles in Fords. You don't have to look much further than some of the threads right here on Ford Forums.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
This has nothing to do with Commodore's or Holden's or whatever..
Yeah it does. A lot of young guys who buy commodores like racing and driving like morons. That's why every second commodore with a young owner has big rims on the front and stocks on the back. So they can do burnouts for cheap. Don't see many other cars with that combination of wheels. Hence why many people think young commodore drivers are idiots.

Last edited by Ben73; 04-12-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yeah it does. A lot of young guys who buy commodores like racing and driving like morons. That's why every second commodore with a young owner has big rims on the front and stocks on the back. So they can do burnouts for cheap. Don't see many other cars with that combination of wheels. Hence why many people think young commodore drivers are idiots.
Ive seen enough Fords and Jap cars (FWD, they put the stockies on the front) doing the same thing. Commodores are more common, because more of them are sold AFAIK. There is obviously the 'Holden fanboi' element too.

Isnt that something related to drift etc? It is supposed to make the person look like something they probably arent. Just like when I was growing up, half the cars with "Holley Equipped" or MOROSO stickers, had stocko strommies on stocko 6 pots, if it was lucky it had Genie extractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
bloody hell, you think this comparable to a couple of kids making a stupid mistake? Have some compassion for the situation.

I hate these threads, they turn into self-righteous ****ing contests, whereby p platers are made out to be devil. These are just kids, and they make idiotic tragic mistakes. My condolences to the family.
Comparable or not, the point was to show how there is a relationship between the parties.

No-one is really happy to see these things end badly, but when its just the person by themselves, there is relief they didnt take out some innocent with them as is often enough the case.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm with Auturbo6 on this one

plus i try not to put myself into situations where death is more than just a mere possibility.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
monte.b

just another kid whose ambitions exceeded his ability ,it happens all the time
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #30
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

In my day, 1990's, young people drove 202 commodores, datsun 1600, 1.2 corolla's, etc. Slow cars that seemed fast due to there crude design and lack of refinement. Now however, commodores, falcons, corollas, hyundai's etc are so much faster, and because of the ease with which they do drive, don't give the same thrill as before. Other than condem youngsters to daewoo matiz's, there is nothing that can be done. Man made population control in action. And to think, technology is supposed to make our lives easier.....